Jones Hall For The Performing Arts At 615 Louisiana St.

devonhart

The most dangerous period for a structure is that period when the structure is no longer new, but has yet to age enough to become "historic". The time when it is merely old.

Amen! All of those great old buildings you see in other cities that have great old buildings went through a phase of looking tacky and unfashionable. Somehow they survived that phase and eventually started to look less familiar, less dated and more "classic" or "historic".

Everything can't (and shouldn't) last forever, but keeping a little from each period provides a link to our history. Jones Hall makes a fine link.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The problem with Jones Hall is that it's good, but not great (both acoustically and architecturally). It's hard to justify tearing down something that's good, especially when there's no guarantee that what replaces it will be great and not just good (and maybe even bad). Could you imagine if we tore down the crisp modern form of Jones Hall only to get something like the Hobby?

But anyone who has been to symphony halls in other cities, especially other symphonies in the nation's top ten, would have to agree that the interior space leaves something to be desired. Consider our neighbor to the north:

Meyerson_jp60.jpg

• Like 1

The problem with Jones Hall is that it's good, but not great (both acoustically and architecturally). It's hard to justify tearing down something that's good, especially when there's no guarantee that what replaces it will be great and not just good (and maybe even bad). Could you imagine if we tore down the crisp modern form of Jones Hall only to get something like the Hobby?

But anyone who has been to symphony halls in other cities, especially other symphonies in the nation's top ten, would have to agree that the interior space leaves something to be desired. Consider our neighbor to the north:

I cant remember. Which building in Dallas did Frank Lloyd Wright design?

• Like 1

Meyerson_jp60.jpg

When I was in high school, our band got to play a concert at the Meyerson. Fabulous building with amazing acoustics.

I think it's a great landmark. I don't like the fact that we tear down everything as soon as it hits 30 - 40 years old.

I agree. I was just by there yesterday shooting a band, and it really is an amazing piece of mid-century architecture. I've never been inside, but it needs to stay. It belongs there.

Edited by Captain Impossible

• 1 year later...

Psych! Going through old photos, found this 1975ish Texas Ave photo a friend took. At first glance, at least to me, looks like Jones Hall is under attack, but actually 19th century buildings being cleared away for progress.

jones.JPG

MANY YEARS AGO NOW,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,THEY REPLACED IT WITH THE HOBBY CENTER.....................YOU NEED TO GO DOWNTOWN MORE......................ITS CHANGED
  • Like 1

Chase Tower is now on that spot I am almost certain, but I now wonder if anyone knows what those old buildings (being torn down) used to house? I cant remember.

The photo here was taken at the NW corner of Milam and Texas, facing SW toward Jones Hall. The photo was taken from the front entrance of the Houston Chronicle at 801 Texas and shows the destruction of the buildings across the street to make way for Chase Tower.

• 6 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • The title was changed to Jones Hall
  • The title was changed to Jones Hall For The Performing Arts At 615 Louisiana St.
  • 1 month later...