The Heights Character

heightsfan

Good Afternoon All,

hope your week goes well !

I think I read about plans to demolish the Allen House Apts on Allen Parkway ? Also with The Houston Pavillions in downtown,

new homes around the Heights , and major development around Houston and the loop . . is it possible or in the

works of builders or developers to focus on 19th street , Yale Street , and Heights Blvd ? Maybe even White Oak ?

Thank You

is it possible or in the works of builders or developers to focus on 19th street , Yale Street , and Heights Blvd ? Maybe even White Oak ?

what kind of focus? to many, the heights is already "developed" so to speak...so that leaves redevelopment (tear down, rebuild) or remodel/renovate...

Focus on 19th to do what? Strip it of its unique character and make it just like everywhere else? We could put in an Ann Taylor Loft, Jos. A. Banks, Gap, Pier 1 & a Stein Mart. Then you wouldn't have to drive over to the River Oaks shopping center, or Rice Village, or Champions Village, or Meyerland.....

I hope the developers stay out of that area, of course they probably won't.

Focus on 19th to do what? Strip it of its unique character and make it just like everywhere else? We could put in an Ann Taylor Loft, Jos. A. Banks, Gap, Pier 1 & a Stein Mart. Then you wouldn't have to drive over to the River Oaks shopping center, or Rice Village, or Champions Village, or Meyerland.....

I hope the developers stay out of that area, of course they probably won't.

OTH, it might be nice to see them add some more upscale shops to the 11th/Shepherd area.

Hello All . . .

I guess it depends who you ask ?

Some would prefer upscale and modern stores and restaurants while others prefer small town feeling of smaller stores and family owned restaurants ? Is it possible to have both ?

Not too sure if 19th street by developers with tons of money would try and change that entire block like West Gray ?

That would really increase traffic flow

Hello All . . .

Some would prefer upscale and modern stores and restaurants while others prefer small town feeling of smaller stores and family owned restaurants ? Is it possible to have both ?

Not too sure if 19th street by developers with tons of money would try and change that entire block like West Gray ?

Well considering that 19th is one of the only streets in the whole city that evokes a small town feel, I'd say leave it the way it is. And if you're concerned about traffic, take 20th St... or 610.

OTH, it might be nice to see them add some more upscale shops to the 11th/Shepherd area.

I think we should leave 19th alone as well, but I do think that in 10 years time Shepherd/Durham from 11th to the North Loop will look very similar to Shepherd from 59 to Allen Parkway. It will be nice to see all the used car lots replaced with mixed retail and is the perfect corridor for redevelopment without harming the character of the Heights.

I've only been in The Heights for 5 years, but I have been pleased to see how 19th has kept the same feel but also brought in new types of stores. Additions of Tansu, Crickets, Shade, Bliss, M2 have all been nice (how many antiques shops do we really need on 19th). What's more exciting to me is what is happening on Washington Ave. 002 Magazine did a cover piece this month on Wash. Ave and what it used to be to the city and what it is trying to become again.

I've only been in The Heights for 5 years, but I have been pleased to see how 19th has kept the same feel but also brought in new types of stores. Additions of Tansu, Crickets, Shade, Bliss, M2 have all been nice (how many antiques shops do we really need on 19th). What's more exciting to me is what is happening on Washington Ave.

Agreed. And there are still some "opportunites" (ie crappy looking buildings) on 19th st b/w Shepherd and Yale that can be improved without sacrificing the "feel". 11th and White Oak definitely have lots of potential for upgrade.

Hello All . . .

Have you been in many of the stores on 19th? Harold's is nothing if not upscale. Upscale and old school at the same time. Tansu would easily be at home in River Oaks and several of the furniture stores sell cool, modern stuff.

If you want better shopping and dining in the Heights, spend your money at the existing places and it will encourage more people to open businesses there, but keep the developers out. 19th street does not need stucco.

Agreed. And there are still some "opportunites" (ie crappy looking buildings) on 19th st b/w Shepherd and Yale that can be improved without sacrificing the "feel". 11th and White Oak definitely have lots of potential for upgrade.

Speaky of used car lots, is the '49 Ford still up on top of that sign post on Yale St? It's been awhile since I've driven in the Heights.

We used to beg our father to drive down that street on the way to our grand parents house. He would tease us by saying that it had taken a real skinny person to drive that car. Now that's character you can see and feel.

Speaky of used car lots, is the '49 Ford still up on top of that sign post on Yale St? It's been awhile since I've driven in the Heights.

We used to beg our father to drive down that street on the way to our grand parents house. He would tease us by saying that it had taken a real skinny person to drive that car. Now that's character you can see and feel.

Yes, at the corner of 6th and Yale. Your dad's joke made me smile when I drove by there this morning.

Our regular grocery store is the Kroger on 11th & Durham and I would love to see that entire stretch of Shepherd and Durham cleaned up. Change is happening - slowly - but it would be nice to see a coffee shop and maybe a Kinkos and a nicer restaurant or two sprinkled in among the Ross Dress for Less and Big Lots stores that are over there. The other side of Shepherd (and north towards Tommy Vaughn) has some pretty crappy little buildings (pawn shops, lawn mower repair, used tires, immigrant tennements) that I wouldn't be sorry to see gone, too.

I guess I'm just parroting everyone else in saying that it would be good to see some nicer commercial development along the main streets in the area and that it could be done without sacrificing the character of the residential areas.

And as far as 19th street goes, leave it alone. As with any area, tenants will come and go, but the buildings and the footprint are great and shouldn't be touched. There's lots of opportunity elsewhere in the neighborhood for that kind of commercial redevelopment.

Edited by cottonmather0

There's lots of opportunity elsewhere in the neighborhood for that kind of commercial redevelopment.

There really is and that's wht kills me. There are plenty of vacant store fronts and run down buildings along 11th street. A smart developer could make 11th in to a destination. It's already got a couple corner stones with Berry Hill and potential traffic from Glass Wall.

Our regular grocery store is the Kroger on 11th & Durham and I would love to see that entire stretch of Shepherd and Durham cleaned up.

Ugh. I hate Kroger. So overpriced....I'd love to see HEB put in one of their gigantic stores directly across 11th from them.

Ugh. I hate Kroger. So overpriced....I'd love to see HEB put in one of their gigantic stores directly across 11th from them.

Well, the HEB on 18th is too small to have much of what we want and the selection at Foodarama is aimed at a slightly less affluent demographic, so Kroger is it for now (the Randall's on 34th is too far away). I was very disappointed that HEB didn't move into the old K-Mart space and open a bigger store, so it's Kroger for now. Trust me, I wish we had a real HEB for real shopping rather than just for Saturday morning milk runs.

Well, the HEB on 18th is too small to have much of what we want and the selection at Foodarama is aimed at a slightly less affluent demographic, so Kroger is it for now (the Randall's on 34th is too far away). I was very disappointed that HEB didn't move into the old K-Mart space and open a bigger store, so it's Kroger for now. Trust me, I wish we had a real HEB for real shopping rather than just for Saturday morning milk runs.

I agree. I'm surprised that HEB hasn't opted for a bigger store somewhere else or hasn't tried to build a new one from the ground up.

That said, I prefer Kroger to Randall's. I think the difference in quality between the two isn't all that great (at least, not at the store at which I shop), and certainly not so given the difference in price (Randall's can be ridiculous, IMO).

Grew up shopping at HEB in South Texas...great grocery store. They are everywhere in San Antonio (worked at one during college). For now, the Kroger's at 11th have to do. For special occasions, the HEB Central Market off Westheimer is excellent. I agree...there is a lot of commercial potential with 11th/N Shepherd and 11th/Studewood.

I miss Albertson's, particularly the one that was within spitting distance of the HEB on 18th. Nice, large store with very fresh produce and low prices. Seems like they were only there for a couple of years after building that new store before they pulled out of the Houston market.

Isn't there supposed to be a big new HEB built at Northline? There's been a lot of site prep activity going on in the parking lot ever since the old Ward's was demolished, and most of the area it used to occupy is now fenced off in what appears to be a prelude to new construction.

The Kroger on 11th and Sheperd (Merchants Park) was the last Henke & Pilot building (in Houston) still being used as a functioning Kroger until they tore it down a few years ago and rebuilt it as a Signature Kroger. The original store marquee was still being used up until the last day, just the letters had been changed out (around 1959 or 1960) from HENKES to KROGER. I know it's boring insignifcant trivia, but I notice stuff like this.

My wife and I have been frequenting the Fiesta at Shepherd and 23rd. Since they remodeled and added some more international selections, it can be a rather fun shopping trek. Their inventory can vary, they do not have all our favorite items which Kroger carries, but the prices are considerably better.

• The title was changed to The Heights Character