Centex Homes Plans 500 Homes In Katy

Guest danax

Centex Homes plans 500 homes in Katy

Allison Wollam

Houston Business Journal

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Centex Homes has acquired 137 acres of land just east of Katy Mills Mall with plans to create a 500-home community called Mills Lake.

Centex acquired the property, located at the northwest intersection of Kingsland Boulevard and Katy-Fort Bend Road from Sheffman Investments.

Sheffman Investments has retained 137 acres along Kingsland Boulevard and Katy-Fort Bend Road for future commercial real estate development.

Centex, a unit of Dallas-based Centex Corp. (NYSE:CTX), will be the developer and exclusive home builder for Mills Lake, where land development activity is expected to commence by the first quarter of 2005.

Construction of the first new homes is planned to begin in the fall of 2005.

Centex plans to build under its Centex Homes and Fox and Jacobs Homes brand names in Mills Lake.

Currently, Centex Homes and Fox & Jacobs Homes offers new homes priced from

the low $100,000s to $200,000s in a variety of neighborhoods in the Houston area.

The sprawl houses just get worse, out by my neighborhood, they dont even bother putting brick on them, just wood panelling. The neighborhoods look like military housing. Yet even military housing has more character, probably.

This area will turn ghetto soon- I bet.

If you look at parts of Missouri city, such as Qual Valley, and hunter's glen, and that area near the TX Parkway, they built cheap homes, so now, the area is quite ghetto, and run down.

People get attracted to new houses, only because they are new. If you look on the older houses around Memorial City Malls, in in the Memorial area, they have higher land values, and are better than some of these houses right next to me. They did a report on this on '11 News Up Close' in September.

People get attracted to new housr, only because they are new. If you look on the older houses around Memorial City Malls, in in the Memorial area, they have higher land values, and are better than some of these houses right next to me. They did a report on this on '11 News Up Close' in September.

The thing about Memorial- it has a slightly decent location (you can access the Galleria area, Downtown, etc via Memorial Parkway), it is heavily wooded, etc. Plus, as stated, there are many new homes (pricey) here, which were built to take advantage of the location, and since they had to do "tear down and rebuild" jobs, their values were high, and they were forced to be expensive, due to this.

This area will turn ghetto soon- I bet.

If you look at parts of Missouri city, such as Qual Valley, and hunter's glen, and that area near the TX Parkway, they built cheap homes, so now, the area is quite ghetto, and run down.

Houstonians are spoiled, indeed! :) In Seattle, prices of homes have gone up so high that homes built by Centex or DR Horton are pretty much what most people can buy. Owners of homes built by these builders actually tell you so proudly because cheaper homes are of even lower quality. Forget brick. Forget stone. Forget even real wood. The exterior and interior features and details commonly available in Houston are unthinkable in Seattle unless, of course, you are a millionaire.

So cheer up guys!

You're probably right, but still, it shouldn't be this way. This is big business coming in and creating Ghetto, one nieghborhood at a time. Would it kill these companies to scratch one or two houses on each street so that the remaining lots could be a little bigger? And why does it seem that they have to rip up every tree before they can begin construction.

These companies are in it for the bottom line - and it's dissapointing. I don't see the County doing anything to stop it either. I'm not saying ban all cookie cutter neighborhoods - just the shitty ones with no trees, 1/12th acre lots, and 4 home designs to choose from.

KZ - if it's so expensive, why live there? What's Seattle got that makes it worth selling plasma or your first born to get a non-brick/wood/stone/stucco/hardy-plank home? What's that leave? mud-huts dug into the ground?

Glen

You are right. I think if Katy wants to ensure that the quality of new homes in the area remain high and the region attracts upscale communities it should enforce some guidelines and ensure that the builders meet at least the minimum standard

of quality.

Actually, I no longer live in Seattle. I moved to Houston a few months ago precisely because I got sick and fed up of rising home prices. Price of a basic new home in a desirable area starts at about $300,000. I am talking about 1800 sq feet house on a 4000-5000 sq feet lot with the cheapest available carpet, cabinets and fixtures. People usually spend about $20,000-25,000 to upgrade them. The exterior is artificial wood. At about $400,000, you can get a better house. Same size but better quality. Older homes actually have better quality than many new homes. Good quality larger homes start at about $500,000. I don

Well, who's buying them then? I mean, they only price them that high because they're in high demand right? So who are the suckers that are going for it? What's going on up there that has everyone thinking that they have to live there to survive??

Glen

The prices are high because, unlike Houston, there arent as many new homes being built because the land is scarce. Also, low interest rate sparked this boom as people are rushing to buy before the interest rate go up.

My guess is that most of the buyers already have homes. They are selling them and using the equity to buy newer homes in nicer areas. Some first time buyers are being lured by low interest rate and ARMs rate (3-year ARM, 5-year ARM etc) which keep the monthly payment low (for the first 3 or 5 years at least). Also, the property tax rate is very low in Seattle (around 1.2%). So the monthly tax payment on a $300,000 would be around $300 whereas in Houston it can be as high as $1000.

So, when buying a house, people dont look at its actual price. The monthly payment is all that matters to them.

Archived