Toys

Guest Marty

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could never understand (even as a kid) why the public had such a facination with the creepy Mrs Beasly Doll. Some of you may recall it was Buffy's favorite doll and to top it off, I think Mr French (the rotund, bearded butler) gave it to her in one episode of "Family Affair" circe 1966?

Ughh, totally scary doll. We kids would just get belly aches when her dad or Cissy would give the doll to Buffy to comfort her in one of her constant whining moods. :wacko: Behold the little monster...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Affair

mebeasley.jpg10com2.jpg

I could never understand (even as a kid) why the public had such a facination with the creepy Mrs Beasly Doll. Some of you may recall it was Buffy's favorite doll and to top it off, I think Mr French (the rotund, bearded butler) gave it to her in one episode of "Family Affair" circe 1966?

Ughh, totally scary doll. We kids would just get belly aches when her dad or Cissy would give the doll to Buffy to comfort her in one of her constant whining moods. :wacko: Behold the little monster...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Affair

mebeasley.jpg10com2.jpg

[/quot

That Buffy doll looks even scarier. If someone had given me that when I was a kid I would have been scarred.

A late comer to the thread but I LOVED matchbox, hotwheels, and corgi cars. Had over 500 (most as hand-me-downs from my two older brothers) but then word got out that I liked them and I was still receiving them as present from aunts/uncles, grandparents, etc... into my late teens. Unfortunately, the box I had them in was stolen during a move in Houston.

I also loved legos and my GREEN MACHINE.

However, I used to love to play tennis. My favorite gift of all time was a play-by-yourself tennis set which consisted of a tennis ball on a string mounted to a stand. You could take it outside and hit the hell out of the ball and it would fly off and them zoom back at ya! Good times.

I forgot about the Green Machine, ^_^ I remember my uncle bought me one at a garage sale around 81,82

4m10saf.jpg

I had a Green Machine, too.

But mostly my toys were things to make other things -- Legos, Erector Sets, Lincoln Logs, and clay. When my parents would go away and leave me alone for the night they always gave me a big brick of clay and I would be entertained until I fell asleep.

In the late 70's my father would bring home parts left over from when the Telex guy would repair his machines (he had about ten in his office). I would piece them together and try to make other kinds of machines out of the spare and broken parts.

51iSk0PlWgL._AA280_.jpgI knew exactly what the hell these were on Christmas eve. You would have to be goofy not to know what was inside the gilft wrapped round (shake it too) to not know they were Lincoln Logs! I even loved the smell of new wood when you popped open the big aluminum drum.

We play with these so much that we just had to have a grand finally one day. My brothers and I used several cans of these full and built a huge fortess acted out a war, big brother pours lighter fluid and ignites the whole shi-bang! It was like the burning of Atlanta to us kids it just totally wowed everyone. Our elderly neighbors threatened to call the police so we had to end the dramatic fire scene quickly.

It was fun though! Now I wished I had saved them. :wacko::lol:

Man, if we had only filmed the whole sequence! :blush:

• 2 months later...
I had an HO scale model train set. My dad set it up on a 4' X 8' sheet of plywood and over the years I build quite a town around it.

I bet it was awesome! We had several of those good old REAL metal train sets. Dont think they make any more?

We used to place the set out side and reenact "Bridge on the River Kwai" scene when the train gets blown up. We used black cat fireworks and real gasoline. It was superb!

also Inspired by the Addams Family when Uncle Festor used to show his train sety off and blow it up! Kaboom! >:)

MVC-108S.JPG

I bet it was awesome! We had several of those good old REAL metal train sets. Dont think they make any more?

The locomotives themselves were metal, but all the cars were plastic. They tended to jump the tracks when the train was moving quickly because they were so light, so my dad hammered flat some small fishing weights and glued them to the inside of the cars to help them stay on the tracks. Worked pretty well.

I had a grey and yellow diesel Union Pacific engine, an old steam locomotive where you could add "smoke drops" to make it smoke (and it smelled awful, too) and a sleek silver Amtrak engine.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pics.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pics.

I have heard that if you contact some toy manufacturers and contribute old photos they can post on their websites and or pay you for them. I need to scan a good one I have of my little brother and me gazing at one of my Japanese Pagoda style LEGO buildings around 1966. If even for the nostalgia I would give to them. We later crushed the building after being influenced from a recent Godzilla film we saw.

I still have my original Lego's my big sis had sent me from Toronto that year (1966) as a Christmas gift.

In those days if you looked at the back of Velveeta Cheese packages you could mail off for more Legos. It was addictive!

Oh my God I found it! I am seriously tripping now! Look at how cheap they were! :D Happy, happy, joy, joy!

Ad_1969_Sears_001.jpg

Ad_1969_Sears_002.jpg

I never had the Lego train sets (I had the real thing), but I did have a good portion of the town buildings and the airport. I also had the large midieval castle, a few space ships and several of the pirate ships.

I'll never forget the day my little brother put his GI Joe's in the bathtub and their hair starting falling out!

We kids were laughing, but he wasn't and appeared to be having a nervous breakdown!lol

The GI Joe's were dried up but looked like they had mange from that point on.

GIJoeAdvTeamCmdr.jpggi_joe.jpg

Viewmaster!

By Fisher-Price.

Got one around 1966 with Peanuts gang slides, then got more modern grown up stuff like Time Tunnel and I still have the Poseidon Adventure slides when the film was popular. The imagery was like being in a 3-D world. Very cool.

Never had the heart to toss out, no way!

viewmaster-timetunnel.jpgviewmaster.jpg

They even have a website!

http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?t=page...ash&site=us

• 2 years later...

I think they were called K'Nex. Little plastic girders to make a frame of a building, and then you would snap on plastic exterior panels to make a skyscraper or whatever. Even as a kid I had architecture fantasies! :D

That sounds like the Kenner Girder and Panel sets (that was the name of them) from the late 50s, early 60s. They came in different sizes and like Erector sets, you could build certain things with each set. I deal in vintage toys on the side and had one of those sets a few years ago, thought it was a pretty cool toy.

There was a segment on MSNBC this morning about a couple who discovered that the copyright had expired on Girder and Panel, and so have revived it without having to pay the intellectual rights fees.

Girder and Panel website, Tekton Tower building set.

Bridge and Turnpike and Hydrodynamic kits look pretty cool, too.

Archived