Rice Military Information & Developments

Bacchus

I'm looking to stay in this house/townhome for 8-10 years so I was hoping by then that there will be no more room in Rice Military to build so if you wanted to live there you would have to buy a used townhouse. I understand right now that you have the option to buy new, but I'm hoping that by the time I am looking to sell, that option won't be there.

Upper west end doesn't appeal to me as it is right on the train. I know that I'll still hear the train in Rice Military, I just don't want to be right on top of the tracks.

Does anybody know any more areas in the heights with new townhomes or 3 story single familys going up?

Also, any opinions on the quality of Waterhill homes?

Thanks for the replys

I would also talk to Tricon Homes. At one point they were building only in the Heights with a traditional look but they are now expanding to other areas with more contemporary designs. They have a 3.5 story home almost completed at the corner of Herkimer and 9th in the Heights. Interesting design with a roof top deck. It's usually open so you can walk through it.

http://www.triconhomes.com/

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe he paid too much for his! I think many people don't know there is room to negotiate and pay too much.

I asked an agent that showed me many homes why he kept talking about prices like they were written in stone. He was supposed to be working for me, he should have been saying I think you can get this for such and such a price. Needless to say he has been fired. I wonder if all the full price sales he makes, makes up for all the customers he loses. I wonder how he sleeps at night knowing he is working for himself rather than the buyer.

Is there anything wrong with asking the guy who has already purchased a unit in the complex what he paid for his?

Maybe he paid too much for his! I think many people don't know there is room to negotiate and pay too much.

I asked an agent that showed me many homes why he kept talking about prices like they were written in stone. He was supposed to be working for me, he should have been saying I think you can get this for such and such a price. Needless to say he has been fired. I wonder if all the full price sales he makes, makes up for all the customers he loses. I wonder how he sleeps at night knowing he is working for himself rather than the buyer.

Is there anything wrong with asking the guy who has already purchased a unit in the complex what he paid for his?

I wouldn't think so.

Also, where do you people find these boob Realtors?

I would not be shy about asking. I have lived in Rice Military for 3 years in an Aziza (Millenium) home and I did ask! Any realtor who thinks pricing is set in Houston is not looking after your best interest. I ran into a similar situation...do they think we are stupid?

Can you possibly find out what other homes this builder has closed in the neighborhood? Perhaps you can do a search on the appraisal district website and get some pricing. Taxes on new construction are now done on market values...maybe this will help to get info.

To answer a post above, pricing in Rice Military has gone up in the past 3 years. I bought a 3-story patio home 3 years ago and I know 9 homeowners near me that purchased at the same time had no problem reselling 1-2 years later at a 15%+ profit. I know one that was purchased at 260 ine 2004 and resold for 320 in 2006. I feel good about that. Used homes come with a lot of perks as well...window converings, additional appliances, nicer light fixtures, decorative wall treatments etc. Although you hear most speculating that people want new homes, that is not the case. There is a strong resale market also.

In terms of Waterhill: they did receive a design award a few years back. I walked some great looking Waterhills, but had a friend recently closed on one that has had more than its share of problems. Unfinished items, appliances not fitting, leaks, air conditioning breaking down, and problems with electrical wiring among some of the issues.

I do like Tricon and Aziza.

I walked some great looking Waterhills, but had a friend recently closed on one that has had more than its share of problems. Unfinished items, appliances not fitting, leaks, air conditioning breaking down, and problems with electrical wiring among some of the issues.

I do like Tricon and Aziza.

I work over there and have watched a lot of townhouses being built over the past 2-3 years. The one right across from our building, by Aziza, has windows that aren't at the same heights along the sidewalls. Not much off, but I noticed from at least 50 feet. One's a little crooked too. It did sell for around $325K though.

These homes are built, it seems, by workers that appear to be mostly unskilled (cough, cough) illegals. My take on their work ethic, based on my relatively few contacts, is that speed and "working hard" are the most esteemed qualities and sloppy work is normal and not a big deal, and cover ups (donde esta' el caulk?) happen. Maybe jscarbor or another builder can offer a more informed opinion.

I work over there and have watched a lot of townhouses being built over the past 2-3 years. The one right across from our building, by Aziza, has windows that aren't at the same heights along the sidewalls. Not much off, but I noticed from at least 50 feet. One's a little crooked too. It did sell for around $325K though.

These homes are built, it seems, by workers that appear to be mostly unskilled (cough, cough) illegals. My take on their work ethic, based on my relatively few contacts, is that speed and "working hard" are the most esteemed qualities and sloppy work is normal and not a big deal, and cover ups (donde esta' el caulk?) happen. Maybe jscarbor or another builder can offer a more informed opinion.

The people that we all hire are generally pretty good at framing/plumbing and electrical. The biggest problem areas seem to be in tile guys and wood floor guys. Some guy buys a tile cutter and calls himself a tile guy yet doesn't know how to mix thinset and grout and 6 months after you pay him the tile looks like ____ from him skimping on thinset and he won't come fix it.

• 3 weeks later...
Any updates, Bacchus?

I ended up getting about 4% off list. Reflecting back on it, I'm not sure you can apply a rule across all purchases. Each house is priced differently by realtors, with some being fairly accurate as compared to market and others not. This place I thought was very appropriately priced to begin with. It had everything I wanted and I'm really pleased with how things went.

Of course you can't apply any general rules. Every listing and transaction is unique. Builders will have done their math before breaking ground to know how much they plan on profiting. People like to try to squeeze that $$ amount by thinking they know how much it costs to build/remodel, but what everyone fails to take into account is the work involved, the rent and salaries for the business, and ultimately the fact that the builder needs to make $$ to feed and house his own family.

The key to any transaction is to just offer whatever you think is a fair price. Do you really care if you offend the seller with an offer too low? Take a look at the market and what other properties are available and try to come to a number you think is fair. You may or may not get there depending upon the situation the seller is in, but at least you tried.

Also, the comments from some of the realtors about just negotiating on concessions or upgrades can be both viewed as lazy or informed. I know that several builders in the Rice Military area do not discount at all, and some very little. Upgrades are always super easy to negotiate and should never be taken for full value. Assume that if a builder is offering $25k in upgrades that he should also consider taking a sale at $10-15k less than asking price without those upgrades. I'm building a home right now with $35k in upgrades to the buyer that actually costs us $10k to complete. Keeping that in mind will always help.

• 2 months later...

2/2 townhome at 916 Lester (These are the townhomes that front Washington close to CVS). real hardwood floors, granite countertops in kitchen, slate tile in both bathrooms. There is a decent size backyard. Comes with blinds on all windows, and all appliances.

I bought the townhome from HHN Homes in 9/05 for $248. I am looking to sell for around $255-$260 and will make consideration for a buyer without realtor. I'll email pictures of the house to anybody interested.

If you know anybody that might be interested you can contact me at jtanous@psimidstream.com. Put 916 Lester in the subject line.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We are having a realtor open house this Thursday July 12th, from 11:30AM until 1PM. Lunch will be provided by Pronto Italtian Cucina.

We are having a buyer open house this Sunday July 12th, from 2PM to 5PM. There will be snacks provided.

We are having a realtor open house this Thursday July 12th, from 11:30AM until 1PM. Lunch will be provided by Pronto Italtian Cucina.

We are having a buyer open house this Sunday July 12th, from 2PM to 5PM. There will be snacks provided.

In my experience, realtor open houses are useless. You will get a TON of realtors showing up, they will eat their free lunch and then not give a second thought afterward.

To truly motivate realtors, the realtor specific open house isn't the key. Time based bonuses are. At least for homes in the 1.5mil+ market anyway.

In my experience, realtor open houses are useless. You will get a TON of realtors showing up, they will eat their free lunch and then not give a second thought afterward.

To truly motivate realtors, the realtor specific open house isn't the key. Time based bonuses are. At least for homes in the 1.5mil+ market anyway.

My home isn't worth $1.5MM and the food was provided by ICON Mortgage. It really is a no lose situation.

• 10 months later...

Greetings,

This is great forum, I am glad I found it.

I have been following home prices in Houston with great interest in the past couple of years. Finally the wait is over, I am finally ready to purchase my first home.

The areas that I am interested in are Rice Military and Memorial-77079 (east of Beltway).

They both close to I-10, which is one of my criteria and within my less than 300K budget.

Due to my budget, I believe my choices are limited on both location.

I realize the two areas are opposite to each other, one is a dense area with townhomes, the other is houses with big yard and mature trees.

Currently, I am leaning towards Rice Military, partly because the thought of taking care of house with yards is daunting for me. The townhome is newer, so perhaps, it is easier to maintain. It is also closer to places that I usually go as well.

This brings up to my questions.

1. For townhome, do you own the land? I believe so, however I would like to confirm this with you.

2. If townhome shares wall and rooftop and there is no maintenance fee. How do the owners fix their homes in case of issues? My concern is this could potentially cause an issue with my neighbor.

3. From HAR.com, I notice that Rice Military's price/square foot has fluctuated over the years. Is that the trend that you see in the future as well? Although this is going to be my only home (thus people say it is not an investment), I still would like to see decent appreciation in years to come.

4. Townhome quality. I understand it varies between townhomes. When I see townhome, it looks like it is not build as well as house. I am not a structural engineer, so this could be well off. I am wondering if a townhome could last 50-70 years easily just like a house, with proper maintenance, of course.

5. How do you find exclusive buyer agent?

I learn a lot by just reading this forum, and I intend to continue learning from you.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings,

This is great forum, I am glad I found it.

I have been following home prices in Houston with great interest in the past couple of years. Finally the wait is over, I am finally ready to purchase my first home.

The areas that I am interested in are Rice Military and Memorial-77079 (east of Beltway).

They both close to I-10, which is one of my criteria and within my less than 300K budget.

Due to my budget, I believe my choices are limited on both location.

I realize the two areas are opposite to each other, one is a dense area with townhomes, the other is houses with big yard and mature trees.

Currently, I am leaning towards Rice Military, partly because the thought of taking care of house with yards is daunting for me. The townhome is newer, so perhaps, it is easier to maintain. It is also closer to places that I usually go as well.

This brings up to my questions.

1. For townhome, would you own the land? I believe so, however I would like to confirm this with you.

2. If townhome shares wall and rooftop and there is no maintenance fee. How do the owners fix their homes in case of issues? My concern is this could potentially cause an issue with your neighbor.

3. From HAR.com, I notice that Rice Military's price/square foot has fluctuated over the years. Is that the trend that you see in the future as well? Although this is going to be my only home (thus people say it is not an investment), I still would like to see decent appreciatiation in years to come.

4. Townhome quality. I understand it varies between townhomes. When I see townhome, it looks like it is not build as well as house. I am not a structural engineer, so this could be well off. I am wondering if a townhome could last 50-70 years easily just like a house, with proper maintenance, of course.

5. How do you find exclusive buyer agent?

I learn a lot by just reading this forum, and I intend to continue learning for you.

Thanks in advance.

East of the BEltway is 77024, and 300k is impossible to find. West of the Beltway is 77079. And you have to go way west or right on the freeway for 300k...and then it will cost more to make it liveable.

Your two areas couldn't be more night and day.

i'd have to agree. are trains a turn off for you blackfield?

i think you have a valid point concerning the construction quality of the newer townhomes. they definitely aren't designed to last as long. unfortunately the developers have an affinity for the fake stucco. IMO i'd stay clear of anything stucco related and flat roofs. i went ot a party this past weekend in a 2 yr old townhome in midtown and they were already having leaks.

East of the BEltway is 77024, and 300k is impossible to find. West of the Beltway is 77079. And you have to go way west or right on the freeway for 300k...and then it will cost more to make it liveable.

Thanks KatieDidIt, :D , yeap, I meant west of the Beltway, 77079.

I realize that my budget is lower than the average price, thus, it makes it difficult to find good candidates.

Based on your responses in the past, I know that you live there and know the area really well.

What do you think about the neighborhood close to Rummel Creek high school (north of Memorial drive)? I saw a listing at HAR with asking price of $275K.

I know it is closer to I-10, so the noise is probably bad.

i'd have to agree. are trains a turn off for you blackfield?

i think you have a valid point concerning the construction quality of the newer townhomes. they definitely aren't designed to last as long. unfortunately the developers have an affinity for the fake stucco. IMO i'd stay clear of anything stucco related and flat roofs. i went ot a party this past weekend in a 2 yr old townhome in midtown and they were already having leaks.

Hi Musicman,

Train noise is a concern, so I am looking at south of Washington area. Would you be able to hear the train, let's say from Feagan st?

I realize how the two areas are so different, I am still going back and forth on the location, :lol: .

I know there is a freeway roar over on that side, yet those houses go fast and will appreciate greatly over time because of City Centre and the Energy Corridor. It's Rummel Creek Elem.

If you really want to be in this area, because you are thinking of future and family (you can't beat the schools anywhere in the metro area) then you may want to watch Nottingham Forest east of Dairy Ashford. It's much quieter there and it has an incredible neighborhood club and easy access to Terry Hershey Park. My boys live in the park.....therefore so do I. ;)

The schools hold a huge resale draw for this area, and the houses have always been in demand despite the economy.

If you are looking for proximity to downtown and being near the "young life," then definately Rice Military.

I know there is a freeway roar over on that side, yet those houses go fast and will appreciate greatly over time because of City Centre and the Energy Corridor. It's Rummel Creek Elem.

If you really want to be in this area, because you are thinking of future and family (you can't beat the schools anywhere in the metro area) then you may want to watch Nottingham Forest east of Dairy Ashford. It's much quieter there and it has an incredible neighborhood club and easy access to Terry Hershey Park. My boys live in the park.....therefore so do I. ;)

The schools hold a huge resale draw for this area, and the houses have always been in demand despite the economy.

If you are looking for proximity to downtown and being near the "young life," then definately Rice Military.

One of the reasons I narrowed down to these two areas, is because the approximity to Memorial and Terry Hersey park. I would love to live close to either park. I do not have a family yet, otherwise, Rice Military is probably out of the question. Although I see many couples in their 50's live there.

The reason that I consider 77079 is because of the reasons that you mentioned above. I will check Nothingham Forest, east of Dairy Ashford. If I remember correctly, there are couple of houses listed at HAR, however it is out of my budget. It's on the 350K range.

How about this house?

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

Hi Musicman,

Train noise is a concern, so I am looking at south of Washington area. Would you be able to hear the train, let's say from Feagan st?

I realize how the two areas are so different, I am still going back and forth on the location, :lol: .

i guess it depends on whether you're used to it. i live about a mile from one and it would wake me up regularly. now i'm more adjusted i guess. i was at the art car illuminated cruise (on heights) a few weeks ago and 5 trains went by in an hr. since it is an industrial area, you'll just have to be prepared for that.

if you're lookin to live the club life, then rice military wins. as for daily amenities, i'd probably give it to the west side.

One of the reasons I narrowed down to these two areas, is because the approximity to Memorial and Terry Hersey park. I would love to live close to either park. I do not have a family yet, otherwise, Rice Military is probably out of the question. Although I see many couples in their 50's live there.

The reason that I consider 77079 is because of the reasons that you mentioned above. I will check Nothingham Forest, east of Dairy Ashford. If I remember correctly, there are couple of houses listed at HAR, however it is out of my budget. It's on the 350K range.

How about this house?

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

That street back to commercial. But otherwise it's an interesting area.

Hi Musicman,

Definetly. A friend of mine lives on Floyd St. and the train is loud enough to make the TV difficult to hear.

Definetly. A friend of mine lives on Floyd St. and the train is loud enough to make the TV difficult to hear.

jm1fd,

Thanks for the insight. The loud train sound, was that from the horn sound or the actual sound of the train passing by?

If you could hear the train passing by, it is pretty bad.

Can anybody give me an idea how frequent the train passes by during the weekday, weekend, and the night?

I am easily awaken as it is, I do not need train noise to make it worse, :mellow: .

Thanks for the insight. The loud train sound, was that the train horn sound or the actual sound of the train passing by?

If you could hear the train passing by, it is pretty bad.

Can anybody give me an idea how frequent the train passes by during the week day, weekend, and the night?

I am easily awaken as it is, I do not need train noise to make it worse, :mellow: .

That would be the horn.

Weekdays....I'd say at least 4x per day. Not sure about weekends and nights....

That would be the horn.

Weekdays....I'd say at least 4x per day. Not sure about weekends and nights....

I think that's not a deal breaker. I would be at work during the day anyway.

Anybody can give me more insight to my original questions regarding townhome?

i guess it depends on whether you're used to it. i live about a mile from one and it would wake me up regularly. now i'm more adjusted i guess. i was at the art car illuminated cruise (on heights) a few weeks ago and 5 trains went by in an hr. since it is an industrial area, you'll just have to be prepared for that.

if you're lookin to live the club life, then rice military wins. as for daily amenities, i'd probably give it to the west side.

I am done with the club life, :D . It is nice to be close to restaurants and Memorial park.

What kind of daily amenities on the west side are you referring to, that are lacking at Rice Military?

Perhaps, grocery store? I don't mind driving a little bit far, so it's no big deal for me.

Archived