Opinions On Elementary Schools In The Woodlands

MrsCroxy

My husband just accepted a position with a company in the Woodlands. We will be moving asap. I was wondering if anyone would share their opinions of the different elementary schools. We have one son that will be starting Kindergarten in the fall. Any input would be greatly appreciated. In the past we have been able to just pick the best house, but now it feels like we have so much more riding on our decision.

Thanks!

Here are the ratings from TEA on CISD Elems:

Wow that must be some kind of record. Every elementary in TW but one is exemplary. I wonder if any other areas around here can say the same.

<<074 DERETCHIN EL Exemplary ++ ++ ++ ++ ++ NQ

101 ANDERSON EL Recognized NQ ++ NQ ++ NQ ++

102 AUSTIN EL Exemplary NQ ++ ++ NQ NQ NQ

103 RUNYAN EL Recognized NQ NQ ++ NQ NQ ++

104 HOUSTON EL Recognized NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ

105 MILAM EL Recognized NQ ++ NQ NQ NQ NQ

106 CREIGHTON ELEMENTARY Academically Acceptable NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ

107 ARMSTRONG EL Recognized NQ NQ ++ NQ NQ ++

108 LAMAR EL Exemplary NQ ++ NQ ++ ++ NQ

109 OAK RIDGE EL Recognized NQ ++ ++ NQ NQ NQ

111 HOUSER ELEMENTARY Recognized NQ ++ ++ ++ NQ NQ

112 A D FORD EL Recognized NQ ++ ++ NQ NQ NQ

113 SAM HAILEY EL Exemplary NQ ++ ++ ++ NQ NQ

114 B B RICE EL Recognized NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ

115 SAN JACINTO EL Recognized NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ NQ

116 GLEN LOCH EL Recognized NQ ++ ++ ++ NQ ++

117 SALLY RIDE EL Exemplary NQ ++ ++ ++ ++ ++

118 DAVID EL Exemplary ++ ++ ++ ++ NQ ++

119 GIESINGER EL Recognized NQ ++ ++ ++ NQ NQ

120 GALATAS EL Exemplary ++ ++ ++ ++ NQ ++

121 BUSH EL Exemplary ++ ++ ++ ++ NQ ++

122 POWELL EL Exemplary ++ ++ ++ ++ NQ ++

123 BUCKALEW EL Exemplary NQ ++ ++ ++ NQ NQ

124 REAVES EL Exemplary NQ NQ NQ NQ ++ >>

There is a PDF on CISD for the feeder zones:

Woodlands HS Feeders:

Buckalew

Bush

Coulson Tough

Galatas

Glen Loch

Deretchin

Powell

Woodlands CP Feeders:

David

Hailey

Lamar

Powell

Ride

Edited by Mom22Blessings

The below are the best in my opinion. I also think Cochrans Crossing is the best Village, which feeds to Galatas and Powell. Galatas would be my number one choice after living here 2 years.

GALATAS EL Exemplary ++ ++ ++ ++ NQ ++

POWELL EL Exemplary ++ ++ ++ ++ NQ ++

BUCKALEW

Coulson Tough and Deretchin are also wonderful and stay together through 6th grade but...........the area in the back is growing at such a rate that the school are bursting and putting up temporary buildings. There will be some shifting at some point once again in Sterling Ridge to accomodate a few more thousand kids that will live in the still unfinished areas.

Good Luck!

My husband just accepted a position with a company in the Woodlands. We will be moving asap. I was wondering if anyone would share their opinions of the different elementary schools. We have one son that will be starting Kindergarten in the fall. Any input would be greatly appreciated. In the past we have been able to just pick the best house, but now it feels like we have so much more riding on our decision.

Thanks!

Personally, I think elementary schools are for small kids and I highly suggest them for the start of their education.

My opinion on elementary schools is that they don't matter nearly as much as a supportive family that takes an active role in the child's education.

I totally agree. That and be in tune with the teacher and be open to her opinions while you make your own. Too many kids are out there who's teachers are clueless to how their kids act in school and are apathetic to the needs or suggestions of the teachers.

Most schools are the same, if your school is defecient in one item or another, get together with other moms and call the school on it. Excellent schools don't become excellent schools because the principle is top notch. The reason it's a excellent school is because the PARENTS help the teachers and administrators bring more tools in.

Well, I think the fact that she's going to the trouble to research the schools indicates that the family is supportive and taking an active role. :)

That's not necessarily the case. There is also the matter that if it's a good school, there is the "drop off and forget" attitude.

"Oh, it's a good school I don't have to worry too much about billy's education."

I am going to be a teacher. I can tell you that the majority of the reasons these schools are good is because of parental support. No teacher can do their job if the parents don't do their part. I don't know where you live but from what I've seen and heard from friends who are teachers in TW, your "stop and drop" remark is way off based with the schools here.

I totally agree. That and be in tune with the teacher and be open to her opinions while you make your own. Too many kids are out there who's teachers are clueless to how their kids act in school and are apathetic to the needs or suggestions of the teachers.

Most schools are the same, if your school is defecient in one item or another, get together with other moms and call the school on it. Excellent schools don't become excellent schools because the principle is top notch. The reason it's a excellent school is because the PARENTS help the teachers and administrators bring more tools in.

I am going to be a teacher. I can tell you that the majority of the reasons these schools are good is because of parental support. No teacher can do their job if the parents don't do their part. I don't know where you live but from what I've seen and heard from friends who are teachers in TW, your "stop and drop" remark is way off based with the schools here.

If you read my previous post, you would have noticed I was supporting your stance on the matter. Knowing several CURRENT teachers, I have been stating what they have said and my personal opinion on the matter.

plus there IS a sense of "stop and drop" with some parents in any socio-economic class and any school, no matter what your feelings on the matter may be.

Edited by ricco67

Well there is the flip side too, and what I see more of in the Woodlands: The stop and park and stay til the dismissal bell rings.

I know several mothers that basically are TOO involved in the school. Doing hours of work almost everyday. Everytime you walk in the door, you see them there. Even at home they are constantly fund raising, cooking for teacher banquets, crafting one project or another for their kids. My sister, who is a teacher in Virginia, tells me those mothers are just as bad as the stop and droppers. They are in the teacher's face and space and hyper obsess about their kids. I guess being somewhere in the middle is the goal.

While I like to be involved in the school, I also feel a strong need to have my own life outside my children, and my children need to know and see this. I also think its important for children to have a safe "testing ground" to see how they use the morals and character you have taught them, without Mom ALWAYS being there. I pick and chose a few events to participate in, and make myself available to the teacher as an aid about once every few weeks. Weekly email communication with all teachers is an absolute must.

But back on topic, I totally agree that its the parental involvement as a whole that makes a strong school and makes individual children a success. Many schools that are ranked Recognized might actually be a stronger schools than those rated execellent due to the strength of the PTO. Without involved parents, at any level, the teachers would be overwhelmed. And if you aren't involved with teaching the basics at home, the child will sink because so many of the basics are skipped or left for parents to teach due to the TAKS "preparedness" pressure.

But sadly, its the TAKS test results that defines a school Exemplary/Excellent, not the parents.

Edited by KatieDidIt

But back on topic, I totally agree that its the parental involvement as a whole that makes a strong school and makes individual children a success. Many schools that are ranked Recognized might actually be a stronger schools than those rated execellent due to the strength of the PTO. Without involved parents, at any level, the teachers would be overwhelmed. And if you aren't involved with teaching the basics at home, the child will sink because so many of the basics are skipped or left for parents to teach due to the TAKS "preparedness" pressure.

But sadly, its the TAKS test results that defines a school Exemplary/Excellent, not the parents.

I agree with this. The TAKS test is purely a paper and pencil exercise. How can a "test" define the quality of education? It seems like parental and teacher feedback are just as important. To get parental feedback, the parent must be involved. I really do not know how to measure the quality of education and I bet there is major alignment on this with subject professionals.

• The title was changed to Opinions On Elementary Schools In The Woodlands