I-45 Noise In Idylwood

if your eyes were closed i promise you can't tell the difference between traffic noise and waves coming in at the beach.

I think you're right, as long as your house isn't within a block or two. I seriously doubt Idylwood people notice it since it's such a low roar. I've noticed that the freeway roar is audible from almost anywhere within the city. I just walked outside and I can "hear" it, if I try to, and I'm probably over a mile away. The good thing about the East End in general is that the freeways are on the edges, with large expanses within it a few miles away.

It's the jarring noises that affect us; trains, car sound systems, sirens, horns honking next door :angry: .

Luckily I can still enjoy the subtle sounds of blowing breezes and rustling leaves 10 minutes from DT.

I was exploring Idylwood the other day, and noticed that I could hear the traffic from I-45, no matter where I was in the neighborhood. Is the noise level always like this, or is it diminished in the summer when the trees have leaves?

I've observed that some of it has to do with which direction the wind is blowing. There are times that I've experienced an entirely pleasant East End, and others when it is the noisiest most busy and urbane setting in Houston.

I've observed that some of it has to do with which direction the wind is blowing.

I notice that too when i lived east of I-45 @ Greens bayou in the summer it was quite but when the westerly winds would kick up then it got loud, i also notice the ground would vibrate at little.

It's the jarring noises that affect us; trains, car sound systems, sirens, horns honking next door :angry: .

Yea i been hearing a beep beep beep all day.

if your eyes were closed i promise you can't tell the difference between traffic noise and waves coming in at the beach.

I lived in the middle of Idylwood for a few years and it was never an issue. On the rare occasions when I even noticed the freeway noise, it sounded like waves, just like musicman said.

In the summer, when the air is thick with humidity, the noise is almost nonexistent.

I was exploring Idylwood the other day, and noticed that I could hear the traffic from I-45, no matter where I was in the neighborhood. Is the noise level always like this, or is it diminished in the summer when the trees have leaves?

Correct Dan,

The leaves are gone and that is why the noise is louder, its only temp until spring. I prefer cars sounds compared to gunfire anyday. This past New Year's rapid all-night gunfire just took the cake! As long as there are renters and apartment (just passing-through) tenants we all will be under fire. Truth is majority, not saying all are from places where anything goes. I had neighbors that would carry and leave old living room couches on the front yard, set-up bar-b-cues and booze openly day after day, night after night. The cops pretty much gave up after our (neighbors) repeated calls. Got to the point where I was about to join in! When in Rome right! Thats a whole new topic of course.

but yes, freeway sounds any day, bullets no...no...

Speaking of Idylewood; Can anyone give an update on Sylvan street the part near that hideous mini-store with the bad gasoline @ Wayside/Sylvan? There was a confirmed truth that one of those old brick apt bldgs behind it had several ghouls using it as a morgue.

Serious! They had several refrigerated trucks freezing bodies so they could later "prepare" them for funerals, etc. We had some people keeping updates as to wether the city was able to run them out of there or put them in prison or hatever. That riff-raff is against the law not supposed to be in a residential area at all.

It was kinda scary driving along and seeing those fish freezer trucks idling there with hoses running into the apt. Surprised we didn't see Lurch standing there, "You rang"? Ughhhhh.....

Glad I live across the T border (Wayside) so I cant have nightmares thinking about it. Can't you just see Marvin Zindler kicking in the door or opening up thier trash cans to take a peek! Blimey old chap!

• 3 months later...
I think you're right, as long as your house isn't within a block or two. I seriously doubt Idylwood people notice it since it's such a low roar. I've noticed that the freeway roar is audible from almost anywhere within the city. I just walked outside and I can "hear" it, if I try to, and I'm probably over a mile away. The good thing about the East End in general is that the freeways are on the edges, with large expanses within it a few miles away.

Luckily I can still enjoy the subtle sounds of blowing breezes and rustling leaves 10 minutes from DT.

I live east of I45 and do not hear (well, I do not notice) I45 traffic, but I do hear the trains (and their air horns) on the Hardy. I also tend to hear their engines.

Strange huh, considering I am closer to I45.

Speaking of Idylewood; Can anyone give an update on Sylvan street the part near that hideous mini-store with the bad gasoline @ Wayside/Sylvan? There was a confirmed truth that one of those old brick apt bldgs behind it had several ghouls using it as a morgue.

Serious! They had several refrigerated trucks freezing bodies so they could later "prepare" them for funerals, etc. We had some people keeping updates as to wether the city was able to run them out of there or put them in prison or hatever. That riff-raff is against the law not supposed to be in a residential area at all.

It was kinda scary driving along and seeing those fish freezer trucks idling there with hoses running into the apt. Surprised we didn't see Lurch standing there, "You rang"? Ughhhhh.....

Glad I live across the T border (Wayside) so I cant have nightmares thinking about it. Can't you just see Marvin Zindler kicking in the door or opening up thier trash cans to take a peek! Blimey old chap!

When I lived there, we were trying to get the county to take the property due to back taxes (IIRC, the owner owes a ton of money), but he is disabled so the county won't touch the property. I have heard of prostitution, but never anything else going on.

I have really noticed the sound of frwy traffic quiet down as I mentioned a few months earlier in this topic. Leaves make a big difference. :P Nice to hear more pleasant sounds like Mr squirrel running across my roof.

I have really noticed the sound of frwy traffic quiet die down as I mentioned a few months earlier in this topic. Leaves make a big difference. :P Nice to hear more pleasant sounds like Mr squirrel running across my roof.

I was over there the other weekend and noticed the same thing. You can't hear I-45 in Idylwood & Sunnylan(d) when there are leaves on the trees and the air is warmer.

• 5 months later...
I was over there the other weekend and noticed the same thing. You can't hear I-45 in Idylwood & Sunnylan(d) when there are leaves on the trees and the air is warmer.

Here we go again Dan, leaves are starting to drop, noise is growing. Were used to it though. I see downtown skyline much clearer though. :P

• 3 months later...

Theres noise again but a different kind.

What is the deal with those loud gaudy colors they are painting under 45 South and Wayside?

I didn't want to rush to judgment until it was over with, but what is it?

I have heard several complaints from Idlywood residents about this. It looks terrible as if someone found cheap nasty old paint and just splashed it on the supporting columns. Did the city of Houston or us pay for this job?

This time I wouldnt mind if taggers came and did a repaint themselves. May appear better than this trash.

Epitome of Bad taste. :angry2:

Theres noise again but a different kind.

What is the deal with those loud gaudy colors they are painting under 45 South and Wayside?

I didn't want to rush to judgment until it was over with, but what is it?

I have heard several complaints from Idlywood residents about this. It looks terrible as if someone found cheap nasty old paint and just splashed it on the supporting columns. Did the city of Houston or us pay for this job?

This time I wouldnt mind if taggers came and did a repaint themselves. May appear better than this trash.

Epitome of Bad taste. :angry2:

It is part of the East End Management District's "East End Streetscape," or something like that. I believe this is the only underpass along 45 that will receive the treatment. IMO, the colors are meant to be representative of 'traditional' colors that would have been present in the East End, installed in such a way to discourage graffiti since how would you know if a pillar had been tagged? <_< . I haven't been down that way to see them in person, but I can imagine the change would be quite startling. Maybe the beggars on the corner will be so offended they will move on to another intersection???

http://www.greatereastend.com/eemd.cfm?m=s...tl&srvID=23

The District's project includes enhancements at the intersection of Harrisburg Boulevard at South Wayside and Macario Garcia; the Harrisburg RR underpass leading from downtown Houston eastward; the Franklin Street RR underpass leading to Jensen Drive, Canal Streets and Navigation Boulevard; and Wayside at I-45.

The project will brand the East End with bold design and include much of our early Texas history on patterned sidewalks and iconic columns. :blink:

Brand is right. Oy Vey!

Iconic columns??? What ? Are we being compared to Rome's Coliseum's columns?

I can bet 100% that whomever wrote this article has no clue of this area's history. They were supposed to build huge gateway arches years ago and nothing yet. That (rendering) looked tens times nicer than this garb. I will avoid this intersection or close my eyes as I pass. Wait until you see "it" in person.

Ok I have vented, but thank you for the newsletter.

If it makes you feel any better, the former head of the GEEMD lives in Idylwood and thus will drive past the columns on a very regular basis.

:lol::lol::lol:

Sure would be great to do a poll of local residents for feedback. Long living local residents that is.

Just got a an idea! Maybe the big 18 wheelers will keep scraping them up like they have for years! See there is a glimmer of hope. Now very happy! :D

My wife and I looked at a house on Macgregor this summer. It was across from the bayou. I walked out to the bayou and could see the freeway, but I never heard it. I am sure a lot of it had to do with the fact that there were still leaves on the trees.

When I was in Idylwood and saw the original plans (2003?), I didn't so much mind the columns being painted, but thought they were a bit garish. However, my real concern was that they didn't address the panhandling, which is what residents REALLY care about. I suggested that they install plants along the curbs that were low-growing, low-maintenance, yet uncomfortable to brush against. TXDoT mentioned that they couldn't install plants there due to sight line issues. Another suggestion was 'loose' boulders/rocks that are difficult to on, but I believe they were concerned that they could be thrown at cars and that it would only force the panhandlers into the street (which they seem to do well enough on their own).

*sigh*

Have they installed plants at the intersection, or is it still all concrete?

I suppose I could just exit there this evening instead of Cullen!

*sigh*

Have they installed plants at the intersection, or is it still all concrete?

Still the same icy cold, bland, 60 plus year old concrete (1957).

It would seem that this city would have some of the best landcape designers willing to suggest ideas to beautify while maintaining order in a small spot like this. People may knock Southern Cal but you know what? they really know how to beautify the freeways with foliage and color. Bouganvilla lots of it in that area would be great. Too thorny to sit around yet providing year round bursts of color. When they planted those palms along the frwys (this corridor) I saw a glimmer of hope. Picture this instead of those lousy painted totem poles. WE CAN DO IT.

1411.jpg

bougainvilleas0607_hedge.jpgItalinan%20house.jpg

Bougainvillea%20in%20Carpark%20of%20Foxgrove.jpg

Looks like the Harrisburg underpass just east of dowling is getting the same treatment as we speak. Did somebody's 3 year-old pick the colors? Or someone having acid flashbacks?

As for freeway noise. I live in the Memorial villages, probably one of the quietest neighborhoods in Houston. I-10 is about 1.5 miles to the North with large heavlily wooded lots between. At my house which is at the end of a 1/4 mile private drive, the biggest factor is the Wind. If there is a North wind, I can barely hear the big trucks, but with a prevailing SE wind it is so quiet you could hear a pin drop. (It also helps that all the neighbors are very quiet).

I am currently rehabbing an investment property on the near east end (just north of Eastwood) and that neighborhood is nothing but noise. Load music from houses and cars, and the standard mode of announcing that you are there is to blast the horn. No gun shots yet though....

Archived