I-45 Noise In Idylwood

Still the same icy cold, bland, 60 plus year old concrete (1957).

"It would seem that this city would have some of the best landcape designers willing to suggest ideas to beautify while maintaining order in a small spot like this. People may knock Southern Cal but you know what? they really know how to beautify the freeways with foliage and color. Bouganvilla lots of it in that area would be great. Too thorny to sit around yet providing year round bursts of color".

Well, it sounds nice, but the reality is that our climate isn't the same as that of Southern California. Bougainvilla doesn't grow as lush and full in Houston, and a hard freeze will kill it to the roots. Anything - grass included - planted along our freeways and major thoroughfares must be trouble-free and need minimal attention. Wherever you see a handsome esplanade or median around here you can be reasonably certain that it's maintained by a designated district, civic association or garden club and not TXDOT, Metro or city mowing crews.

I like the purple and gold that they put close to idylwood. It just feels like a tribute to the National Championship LSU Tigers!

I guess if you think of it that way, we can live with it. *sigh* part two. :(

Talk about stereotyping a neighborhood. Oy Vey! :angry:

I planted several colors of this plant at mom's home over 10 years ago and they still produce an abundance of bright foliage.

I presently have at least 3 colors of this plant cascading almost 3 stories high alongside our home. Maybe the convent has blessed our yard with great soil? :wub:

I must be honest to say that I maintained it quite well over the years with simple and inexpensive fertilizer from everyones fav store Walmart. Cut it back every year and it does better each time. I have trained it with wire, etc to go up so that helped. White was by far the most beautiful and grew into tree size and well thats it. It can be done in Houston. :D

• 2 months later...
Speaking of Idylewood; Can anyone give an update on Sylvan street the part near that hideous mini-store with the bad gasoline @ Wayside/Sylvan? There was a confirmed truth that one of those old brick apt bldgs behind it had several ghouls using it as a morgue. ...

I drove through Idylwood about a month ago, saw a set of 3 jungle-laden (1950's?) identical, cedar-shake-style apt. houses behind the nasty-looking convenience store. Address 6638 Sylvan. Anyone know what's going on with that property? For sale or just owned/neglected...Too bad there is a feeder street to another bad large apt. complex :angry: off Sylvan. (Was just a hunch). Otherwise that neighborhood is a real treasure.

Saw the bayou a few yrs. ago when it was receding from the last major flood, around that curve when it turns to Macgregor Way. What a shame. Know there has been major bayou work done since. Wonderful slopes in property. The pic of the Art Deco house RPS posted, on MacGregor Way, with the interior staircase mural was beautiful, hope it's still there.*

PS Saw the earlier thread about Idylwood. Very interesting statements.

EDIT: * Can someone please tell me where to find that pic of the ART DECO house with the staircase & mural? :wacko: I can't find it now. Turquoise wall, white flowers,white-carpeted spiral staircase.

I drove through Idylwood about a month ago, saw a set of 3 jungle-laden (1950's?) identical, cedar-shake-style apt. houses behind the nasty-looking convenience store. Address 6638 Sylvan. Anyone know what's going on with that property? For sale or just owned/neglected...Too bad there is a feeder street to another bad large apt. complex :angry: off Sylvan. (Was just a hunch). Otherwise that neighborhood is a real treasure.

Saw the bayou a few yrs. ago when it was receding from the last major flood, around that curve when it turns to Macgregor Way. What a shame. Know there has been major bayou work done since. Wonderful slopes in property. The pic of the Art Deco house RPS posted, on MacGregor Way, with the interior staircase mural was beautiful, hope it's still there.

PS Saw the earlier thread about Idylwood. Very interesting statements.

6638 Sylvan apts need to go. There was an investigation done about the mortuary service that sneak was running out of one of the apts (right behind Little Buddy store). There were about 3 freezer trucks with hoses running from the apt to freeze bodies. Sounds bizarre right? Because it really was going on. Not sure what became of the ghoulish business but they were in vilation of several health codes. So much for drama right.

They were supposed to build a small park where that house was removed at the curve you mention, still nothing. Just a little green valley. Not sure if you remember how pretty and modern that house was but it appeared in House Beautiful almost 50 years ago. The owner (son) let it go downhill (pun) was beyond repair so it was leveled flat. Too many floods and termites did the poor thing in. It was quite the popular hangout for the crowd for years. :)

Back to topic, the noise from 45 has quited once more. Spring is here and leaves muffle the sounds! Honk, honk!

6638 Sylvan apts need to go. There was an investigation done about the mortuary service that sneak was running out of one of the apts (right behind Little Buddy store). There were about 3 freezer trucks with hoses running from the apt to freeze bodies. Sounds bizarre right? Because it really was going on. Not sure what became of the ghoulish business but they were in vilation of several health codes. So much for drama right.

They were supposed to build a small park where that house was removed at the curve you mention, still nothing. Just a little green valley. Not sure if you remember how pretty and modern that house was but it appeared in House Beautiful almost 50 years ago. The owner (son) let it go downhill (pun) was beyond repair so it was leveled flat. Too many floods and termites did the poor thing in. It was quite the popular hangout for the crowd for years. :)

Back to topic, the noise from 45 has quited once more. Spring is here and leaves muffle the sounds! Honk, honk!

My understanding of the "park" at the MacGregor Way/sylvan curve is that no additional work will be done on it. After the house was town down, the berms the previous owner put in were leveled out and the hills were regraded to a more natural shape. Now it will be allowed to return to a natural state to provide a barrier between Idylwood and the apartments that back up to it.

I don't have anything to add about the apartments on Sylvan except we tried to get the county to foreclose due to extreme non-payment of back taxes. However, the owner is disabled and so the county is just waiting him out and won't proceed with anything.

I agree that the apartments stick out like a sore thumb. Pretty decrepit looking, actually. Of course, you had a pair of crummy hotels along the feeder of 45 that were shaky, too. They've torn down one and can't remember if they've torn downt he other.

Those motels were always bad news. Drew more of the old Telephone Rd trash towards the nabe. Then they built that new one with the palms about a block from that Little Buddy store. There is noise coming from there but a different kind. :ph34r::lol:

• 2 weeks later...
There once were many Idylwoodian's posting on Haif at one time. Hey! Where did all of you go? :D

We are still here. I am one of the new residents (May 2006) who bought in the flood plain. No regrets just yet, but the home and area were so beautiful that despite the inherent risk, took the plunge and bought our home. I truly believe that Idylwood is one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in Houston. Does anyone know when the bayou is going to be widened between Lawndale and Calhoun? I was initially told that the widening would begin in March 2008.

We are still here. I am one of the new residents (May 2006) who bought in the flood plain. No regrets just yet, but the home and area were so beautiful that despite the inherent risk, took the plunge and bought our home. I truly believe that Idylwood is one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in Houston. Does anyone know when the bayou is going to be widened between Lawndale and Calhoun? I was initially told that the widening would begin in March 2008.

Most of Idylwood people are in the civic organzation right? Please encourage them all to jump on Haif or rather join. We need everyones support in this immediate area.

Just a note, as a neighbor we always call HPD when we see or hear cars shooting gunfire into the woods behind the convent. Especially if they are pointing towards the EAST smack into Idylwood. These nuts dont care if they hit heavy traffic on Wayside or homes in your nabe. I know its pathetic. Please do not blame our nabe these are normally jerks just passing through. We have brought up this prob on several topics. Great new is, HPD is very present around Henderson Elementary lately. Ever since Hillary made a stop there seems HPD got the hint (maybe Hillary) commented? I will note again, people live in small cottages in those woods mostly retired clergy or nuns. What goes up must come down. Just wish people would respect the elderly (and the living). :D

• The title was changed to I-45 Noise In Idylwood

Archived