METRORail On FM 1960

Chris

I dont think it will be such a bad idea for Houston to consider putting a Metro Rail on FM 1960. FM 1960 is a very busy road. It'll be a great success. They are already about to make the Kuyrkendahl/FM1960 intersection an underpass.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont think it will be such a bad idea for Houston to consider putting a Metro Rail on FM 1960. FM 1960 is a very busy road. It'll be a great success. They are already about to make the Kuyrkendahl/FM1960 intersection an underpass.

Uh, no. :huh:

I don't even know where to begin...and don't think that it's necessary that I try.

Are you dreaming of a white Christmas too?

Where would you put it Chris ? I believe the road is at it's widest possible point now.

Metorail on FM 1960? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Hell, the MetroBus route 86 runs every 40 minutes, so what makes you think an 1960 ral line will happen? Mind U, Nineteen-Sixty is a state road, so unless TxDot relinquishes control if it to Harris County, City of Houston (annex sticks) and METRO in a million years, cars dominate it for now.

Metorail on FM 1960? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Hell, the MetroBus route 86 runs every 40 minutes, so what makes you think an 1960 ral line will happen? Mind U, Nineteen-Sixty is a state road, so unless TxDot relinquishes control if it to Harris County, City of Houston (annex sticks) and METRO in a million years, cars dominate it for now.

Take a drive on it, your question will be solved. I cannot speak for the east side but the west of FM 1960 is booming.

Take a drive on it, your question will be solved. I cannot speak for the east side but the west of FM 1960 is booming.

disregard the rail question for a moment and explain to me how 1960 W is booming. 290 to 249 - not booming. 249 to Veterans - not booming. Veterans to 45 - declining. 45 to Hardy - not booming. Hardy to 59 - not booming. 59 to Lake Houston... hmmm... if i were thinking any part of 1960 were booming, this would be it.

now, back to rail on FM1960 - even if metro COULD do it, what purpose would it serve? What exists on 1960 other than lots of strip centers and two malls in decline? do people need rail to travel to the grocery stores and malls up there - maybe. but that won't support rail.

if you want a rail to do anything near 1960, i'd think it would be a train along 249 to 45 and then 45 to the metro center, where you'd be able to catch other trains to other places...

but don't worry, it isn't going to happen any time soon.

Cities often build metro lines by reclaiming old railroad lines that have fallen into disuse or limited use. And even though the old tracks are there, it still costs them umpteen millions of dollars to do it. And, if there are no old railroad tracks, it costs them bazillions of dollars per mile. When something like this happens, cities usually connect downtown with some suburban hub, for commuters primarily. And to take people downtown to sporting events, etc. For example, they've talked about running the metro along Hardy Road to Spring, out 249 to Tomball, out I-10 to Katy, etc. And it's also a big selling point that, with any metro lines they build, they connect to one another, so they have a combined effect. Granted, there's a few places of interest along 1960: the NW Medical Center, Willowbrook Mall, Chili's restaurant, etc. But nothing compared to linking downtown, the Medical Center, the Galleria, the stadiums, etc. There would just never be any voting tax base to support a project like rail on 1960, let alone numbers (# of people moved per day, etc.) to justify it. There would be so little support, that you'd almost have better luck trying to get 1960 converted into a pedestrian-only zone.

The thing is, I'm sure a Light rail system would probably work that would connect stations for commuters be heading towards town, but only after an extensive network is done within the city itself.

Even then, 1960 woud have to increase substantially in population and density and/or offer stations with adequate parking to allow commuters to go there instead of EVERYONE going to the 3 or 4 stations that would be in their regional area .

disregard the rail question for a moment and explain to me how 1960 W is booming. 290 to 249 - not booming. 249 to Veterans - not booming. Veterans to 45 - declining. 45 to Hardy - not booming. Hardy to 59 - not booming. 59 to Lake Houston... hmmm... if i were thinking any part of 1960 were booming, this would be it.

now, back to rail on FM1960 - even if metro COULD do it, what purpose would it serve? What exists on 1960 other than lots of strip centers and two malls in decline? do people need rail to travel to the grocery stores and malls up there - maybe. but that won't support rail.

if you want a rail to do anything near 1960, i'd think it would be a train along 249 to 45 and then 45 to the metro center, where you'd be able to catch other trains to other places...

but don't worry, it isn't going to happen any time soon.

Absolutely hillarious :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Guest Plastic

Yes there and Westheimer would be ideal spots for some type of streetcar or monorail. They only problem is the people out there don't want it. They almost had a cow cause Metro was putting a bus route up there.

I'm all for improving transit in all areas of Houston, but if we can't even get rail really going in the city proper (i.e., Inner Loop) then it's certainly not going to be easy to accomplish in suburban areas of the metro. My proposed solution: nuke 1960 and start over. That area has really gone down hill since the last time I was out that way (1999).

Hahahaha! No left turns on 1960, that'll go really well with area residents. Next up, no right turns on Steubner!

1960 is like the only main road in the area, unlike Richmond Ave., which has Westhiemer, West Alabama, Westpark and many other similar traveling roads near by.

That and the 1960 area is WAY too car-centric, super suburban with no new urbanization projects forecasted.

I say no too. <_<

Archived