Quiet Zone For Trains

Anyone heard or know if a possible quiet zone for trains not to honk within certain limits will be in effect? I live around the Mckinney and Paige area where the trains honk all times of the day. I've heard that since this area is becoming more residential, that by spring 2006, there should be a quiet zone in effect. However, im a little skeptical since it took the bellaire/west university area years to finally get zoned. Does anyone have any idea if this topic has been brought up by our city council district or what we can do to start working for a quiet zone. I'm sure everyone living in the area would definitely be proactive with this.....

Anyone heard or know if a possible quiet zone for trains not to honk within certain limits will be in effect? I live around the Mckinney and Paige area where the trains honk all times of the day. I've heard that since this area is becoming more residential, that by spring 2006, there should be a quiet zone in effect. However, im a little skeptical since it took the bellaire/west university area years to finally get zoned. Does anyone have any idea if this topic has been brought up by our city council district or what we can do to start working for a quiet zone. I'm sure everyone living in the area would definitely be proactive with this.....

If you want to start a committee or find out anything, let me know. I live around the same area and would be there with you to try and get a quiet zone. That being said, it doesn't even keep me up anymore and i only kind of notice it when i'm watching tv.

If you want to start a committee or find out anything, let me know. I live around the same area and would be there with you to try and get a quiet zone. That being said, it doesn't even keep me up anymore and i only kind of notice it when i'm watching tv.

Ditto. I own property in Eastwood and would love for things to be a bit less noisy.

no quiet zones for east side....invest in some ear plugs. Talk to Danax since he's well versed in their use.

Yes, I recommend the purple, cone-shaped ones :)

Actually, there was a HAIF topic recently where a master plan was put forth to remove many at-grade crossings, which would eliminate the blowing of the horns at that spot. I've discussed the plan for the intersection in our neighborhood, actually there are 3 spots but the one proposed is closest to me, but surprisingly to me, no one else seems too interested. In fact, one of our Civic Club board members was against it. He tried to say that it was because of "street closures" but he was dispensing propaganda as there is only one little street that would be closed. I think his agenda is anti-gentrification and removing train horns attracts pickier homebuyers.

I live around the Mckinney and Paige area where the trains honk all times of the day.

One of the proposals (map here) with a relatively high cost/benefit ratio is for a bridge over the tracks just north of McKinney at Scott/York which should help you out tremendously if the quiet zone doesn't pan out. You and your neighbors would do many current and future residents of that newborn nabe a great service by letting your collective voice be heard so that it might come to pass. I'm working on that where I live.

I lived around the big airport all my life (31 years) I'm used to it. buying earplugs is cheaper than my tax dollars wasted building a concrete block. that goes for train whiners too :P

Edited by Marty

I lived around the big airport all my life (31 years) I'm used to it. buying earplugs is cheaper than my tax dollars wasted building a concrete block. that goes for train whiners too :P

I hope you are not in the path of the runways, especially when the BIG birds are arriving from Europe-Africa-Latin America-Asia and the Middle East.

I hope you are not in the path of the runways, especially when the BIG birds are arriving from Europe-Africa-Latin America-Asia and the Middle East.

I like the 747's buzzing around my domain its part of my life, i wouldn't have any other way. 2-4 miles is the best place to live from a airport if you like watching jets. B)

I like the 747's buzzing around my domain its part of my life, i wouldn't have any other way. 2-4 miles is the best place to live from a airport if you like watching jets. B)

Haha. Jets were my childhood man. My father is a retired Delta Airlines pilot. Before that he and ALL of his brothers who also were airline pilots, flew in the USAF. I fly jets often for work and i dont wish to be in the the path of those things ;) I dont mind seeing them though ;);)

Haha. Jets were my childhood man. My father is a retired Delta Airlines pilot. Before that he and ALL of his brothers who also were airline pilots, flew in the USAF. I fly jets often for work and i dont wish to be in the the path of those things ;) I dont mind seeing them though ;);)

my parents have lived near hobby for yrs...the plans don't bother me either....but i will say helicopters do, esp since they live over the helicopter flight path

First, im used to the horns by now, but if you were interested in organizing something let me know. It would really help out when the time comes to sell.

You know, as the Near East End/ warehouse district starts to develop more and more, I've been thinking eventually it would be good to get some kind of civic association for that area.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how I can get started on establishing a queit zone for trains to stop honking their horns throughout the night? I'm living in the eastend and I usually get used to the honking, but sometimes the trains honks continuously, like they are just holding down on the horn and not letting go!! I know there are guidelines to when and where they should honk, but this is ridiculous!! I know Bellaire/West U recently got their quiet zone and wondered if anyone had any suggestions on how I can one for my area. I know that in order to get a quiet zone, there has to be safety requirements we have to meet first, but I don't know how to get in touch with the city council and/or any other officials regarding this matter. Your help and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

The first step? Document!

Document, document, document!

The first questions any governing body will ask will be in regard to the frequency and duration of the disturbances. Without those data, they will have an excuse to do nothing to address the problem.

I live several miles from the source, yet some nights I can hear those horns blowing practically constantly in the wee hours. Any claims that this is a needed safety precaution at 3am would be absurd; from all indications the engineers are doing this solely for their own amusement. You have my sympathy.

I used to live in Dakota Lofts and the trains would honk all night going across McKee street. If you're familiar with the area, the track runs almost directly behind the lofts.

I was surprised how quickly I got use to the train noise. But I'm not saying you have to.

'Tex is right -- the first step is to document it. Then complain.

The feds seem more willing to grant quiet zones these days, but it's usually in wealthy suburbs because they are the ones able to absorb the cost of upgrading the grade crossings to make it work. You won't get a quiet zone until your crossing grades are up to snuff.

I'm living in the eastend and I usually get used to the honking, but sometimes the trains honks continuously, like they are just holding down on the horn and not letting go!! I know there are guidelines to when and where they should honk, but this is ridiculous!!

This topic is a duplicate of one last week so they've been merged.

Law requires 5 honks at each intersection. I too hear certain engineers who are either sadistic or trying to keep themselves awake.

Did you check out the link that I left earlier in the thread? That would seem like the opportunity you all in that area should jump on.

• 3 weeks later...

West End, Washington, & Center Street

We live in Memorial Heights, and have not had a full nights sleep since we moved here 9 months ago. From 1am - 4:15 am, the trains run by in high frequency, sometimes blowing the horn from the moment they pass Shepherd until they get in to downtown. I can't imagine the people living in HHN's homes on Center Street get a solid hours rest. Whatever it takes to enact a quiet zone for this area, I will assist. Based on the immediate population and residential density, this should be possible.

Lets hear your thoughts

Jordan Smith

West End, Washington, & Center Street

We live in Memorial Heights, and have not had a full nights sleep since we moved here 9 months ago. From 1am - 4:15 am, the trains run by in high frequency, sometimes blowing the horn from the moment they pass Shepherd until they get in to downtown. I can't imagine the people living in HHN's homes on Center Street get a solid hours rest. Whatever it takes to enact a quiet zone for this area, I will assist. Based on the immediate population and residential density, this should be possible.

Lets hear your thoughts

Jordan Smith

The trains have been in the area for at least a century. You're in an industrial disctrict. It's like the people complaining about the plane noise and they live near the airport. It will just be a factor in your day to day living (ironically i hear a train horn as i am typing this)

As for having the residential density, i doubt it.

I see your signature has Smithterra Homes.....do you work for them?

Edited by musicman

The trains have been in the area for at least a century. You're in an industrial disctrict. It's like the people complaining about the plane noise and they live near the airport. It will just be a factor in your day to day living (ironically i hear a train horn as i am typing this)

Jordan Smith...Smithterra

This guy has a thread.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...amp;#entry89956

Edited by nmainguy

This has been an ongoing debate since before our time I'm sure. There was a somewhat of a big story in Houston Press about 2 years ago when a local resident had had enough of how the trains block traffic at the worse times. Not to stray from your question but if its any consolation the noise doe's die down once our trees grow their leaves back. I am fortunate not to live close enough to feel the rumble. Can't see how folks tolerate living in those house's that backyards adjoin the RR tracks? Wow, must feel like a 7.5 on the richter scale in the middle of the night! Just like the Northridge quake. I had a friend that lived by the airport and when the planes flew over you couldn't hear him on the phone. The rattling would shake the curios around the cabinets as if they were dancing. Kind of cool if your a kid but not whent the ceilings start cracking, plaster landing on ya.

As far as the Train noise, I can only suggest talking to Carolyn Alvarado before she makes the big time and splits East End! Austin here I come! Seeya!

Ah...thanks nmain.....guess he's having problems selling homes due to the noise. There's always more risk in building in industrial areas but the payoff can be more. I've looked at several models in the area. Nothing special particularly for the price. could that be the reason?

Edited by musicman

• 1 month later...

Our properties are all away from the tracks, and are unaffected. We personally live near them, and thought we'd just get accustomed to the noise, and were very wrong.

So no, not the reason. The best thing a proactive developer can do is improve the areas in which they build. Being involved in a quiet zone coalition would not only provide me a full nights rest, but being involved personally looks good as far as being an area developer. This action also can drastically improve property values to the area.

Sleep+Community Involvement+Marketing=Progress

Ah...thanks nmain.....guess he's having problems selling homes due to the noise. There's always more risk in building in industrial areas but the payoff can be more. I've looked at several models in the area. Nothing special particularly for the price. could that be the reason?

Our properties are all away from the tracks, and are unaffected. We personally live near them, and thought we'd just get accustomed to the noise, and were very wrong.

So no, not the reason. The best thing a proactive developer can do is improve the areas in which they build. Being involved in a quiet zone coalition would not only provide me a full nights rest, but being involved personally looks good as far as being an area developer. This action also can drastically improve property values to the area.

Sleep+Community Involvement+Marketing=Progress

well i tend to think the east west corridor tends to be busier than the other quiet zone developed parallel to the west loop so it will be more difficult to develop a real quiet zone. the train is a part of the neighborhood and they are there to stay. as for drastically improving property values, yes that would happen if the trains were removed. unless a new transporation system is developed, i have reservations that will happen in our lifetime. i think the trains are really a quintessential part of the area. i'd just recommend ear plugs if you're having problems sleeping.

do you tell prospective buyers that a train line is nearby?

Edited by musicman

I hear them in the distance at night and it does not bother me - it's just part of living in the city/near the tracks.

While I share your zen attitude for many things that are not likely to change, in the case of the train horns, we have a chance to eliminate them in many cases via the proposals for grade separations by TxDOT. Yes, many of us get used to the noise but eliminating it will really enhance the livability, attractiveness and value of many neighborhoods.

I think we need to rally behind the plan and push for it. The East End especially will be able to benefit just due to the volume of noise pollution that will be eliminated and in places like the Warehouse District, it will be easier to contruct the separations compared to the West End. The proposal for the tracks crossing Shepherd/Durham, for example, would wipe out many of the new restaurants there, and so would not likely be built.

I know some people will say they're against it due to big, ugly concrete bridges and street closures, but it might be the only chance we've got for the time being and we need to grab onto it and, while not perfect, neither is Houston. Quiet zones are dangerous, and the East End might have more drunk drivers than on the West End, where the current quiet zones are, and so would represent an unacceptable risk.

With a little creativity the bridges could become displays of whimsical art and add something to our terrain-less city in a quirky Houstonesque way. The MetroRail stations are artistic, why not the grade separations? And, street closures add privacy and quiet and create more pedestrian oriented neighborhoods, although the arterial streets get more congested.

TxDOT was just recently given control over the Rail Relocation and Improvement Fund that was voted into law in 2005. We need to let them know what we want.

I know these trains quite well.

But a quiet zone for trains is like noise abatement for airports.

If you moved there after the rail road or aiport was in operation you don't have a leg to stand on.

We do have a leg to stand on. TxDOT is asking the public what they want and are obligated and willing to build grade separations. No more noise and no more traffic delays and the railroads can run 24/7 and no one will hardly notice. It's a win/win.

With airports, the residents nearby are truly up a creek without a paddle.