KBR/Halliburton Updates

Just saw this in the Chronicle - looks like KBR will be staying at the Clinton Dr facility in the near future...

'KBR

The weak economy and troubled credit markets scuttled plans for a new office complex planned near Katy for Houston-based KBR, the company saidlast month. The campus was designed to include more than 910,000 square feet of space at the southwest corner of Interstate 10 and Grand Parkway.'

Just saw this in the Chronicle - looks like KBR will be staying at the Clinton Dr facility in the near future...

'KBR

The weak economy and troubled credit markets scuttled plans for a new office complex planned near Katy for Houston-based KBR, the company saidlast month. The campus was designed to include more than 910,000 square feet of space at the southwest corner of Interstate 10 and Grand Parkway.'

This is definitely good news.

It seems to me it will keep more jobs in the area, reduce westward sprawl, and save the company money.

Most of the employees live on the outskirts anyway...selling/moving would give an oppportunity for future development (housing, retail, green space, commercial)..something that is much needed in the area...KBR moving would benefit both sides...imo

Most of the employees live on the outskirts anyway...selling/moving would give an oppportunity for future development (housing, retail, green space, commercial)..something that is much needed in the area...KBR moving would benefit both sides...imo

Hrm... I'm doubtful of this.

Hrm... I'm doubtful of this.

As a short-term consideration, you have good reason to be doubtful. Redevelopment of that site for any alternative purpose would be very difficult in the current business environment. The site may be underutilized for at least the next couple of years, and I agree that it is better to have KBR there than nobody.

It is unfortunate that they were unable to act on the move more quickly. Then we might have seen something impressive already under way there. I know that they were delayed significantly as a result of the split-up of KBR and Halliburton.

That whole area around the Clinton Drive KBR building is a craphole!

I have never before been so struck by such masterful eloquence as yours. Your language flows like the prose of a poet. And your descriptions paint such a vivid picture in the mind's eye, conveying an omniscient depth of understanding not only of the subject but of the universe that gave rise to it.

Longhornguy shall forever be revered by HAIF literary snobs as nothing short of a god.

And I must profusely thank you for adding so much to this conversation.

I have never before been so struck by such masterful eloquence as yours. Your language flows like the prose of a poet. And your descriptions paint such a vivid picture in the mind's eye, conveying an omniscient depth of understanding not only of the subject but of the universe that gave rise to it.

Longhornguy shall forever be revered by HAIF literary snobs as nothing short of a god.

Maybe he wasn't eloquent but he was right.

I work for a competitor of KBR. When we heard that they were thinking of moving West everyone was very excited. It is correct that most of the people who work in the petrochem engineering business live on the West side of town. That's why it's called the energy corridor. Having an office on the West side would have helped them with recruiting. Now that there are no problems with recruiting anymore they don't need it.

I work for a competitor of KBR. When we heard that they were thinking of moving West everyone was very excited. It is correct that most of the people who work in the petrochem engineering business live on the West side of town. That's why it's called the energy corridor. Having an office on the West side would have helped them with recruiting. Now that there are no problems with recruiting anymore they don't need it.

That's not why it's called the energy corridor, jgriff.

Oh, I'm fully aware of the Energy Corridor rationale. Frankly I think the move still makes sense, because by the time that the new campus would be up and running, oil prices will probably have substantially recovered.

But in the same way that I'm viewing their new location through forward-looking eyes (looking at what will be, not necessarily what is) I am also applying that reasoning to their Clinton Dr. site. It is unattractive right now, but then most post-industrial vacant land is. The site has an enormous amount of frontage along two major thoroughfares as well as the Buffalo Bayou where the bayou really should qualify as a river as wide as it is. A major new park has been developed recently just across the bayou, and jogging trails along the south side of the bayou are in place. An urban master planned community will go here one day and will transform the way that people view that immediate area.

The site has an enormous amount of frontage along two major thoroughfares as well as the Buffalo Bayou where the bayou really should qualify as a river as wide as it is. A major new park has been developed recently just across the bayou, and jogging trails along the south side of the bayou are in place. An urban master planned community will go here one day and will transform the way that people view that immediate area.

Hrm... A mixed use project would be nice. Maybe they could snuggle into a new 47 floor tower at that location.

No problem, anytime...I love your defensive sarcasm as well. :)

Btw, I used to work for KBR and the division that is in the Clinton Dr building has very little to do with the Energy business. All of that work comes out of the Kellogg Tower downtown (Energy & Chemicals Division).

Clinton Dr building houses KBR's Government & Infrastructure division and a majority of the work there is related to the Iraq/Afghanistan/Kosovo/Djibouti/Kuwait Government contracts.

I'll call a bird a bird when I see one and Clinton Dr area is a craphole. That is, and always was, meant to be an industrial area of Houston. There is no liquidity left for development in the next Ten years and any bank would be crazy to loan money to develop land next to the Ship Channel.

Just my two cents. (Since I'm revered as an HAIF God, maybe that should be: "My two dollars?")

:)

I'll call a bird a bird when I see one and Clinton Dr area is a craphole. That is, and always was, meant to be an industrial area of Houston. There is no liquidity left for development in the next Ten years and any bank would be crazy to loan money to develop land next to the Ship Channel.

For the record, that site is 2.7 miles away from the terminus of the Houston Ship Channel. Also for the record, bulk land is selling in that area for upwards of $4 per square foot as of a couple years ago (the last time I checked pricing) and is probably even more expensive now. A decade ago it sold for a tenth of that. Somebody is lending money on it.

And I have a project on which I--myself--have a construction loan which was lined up only a couple months back, and it is a site within walking distance of the bayou waters in that general area. I'm actually closer to the water than are parts of the KBR site.

Just my two cents. (Since I'm revered as an HAIF God, maybe that should be: "My two dollars?")

:)

Approximately 79% of my net assets are invested in Houston's East End, and they're nearly all backed up by significant loans from banks that were actively seeking to enter that market. I won't tell you how many dollars that is exactly, but taking the exchange rate into account, it's more than your couple of measly HAIF dollars.

So there. B)

• 2 months later...

Halliburton to leave downtown in favor of suburban campuses

Houston Business Journal - by Mary Ann Azevedo

Following in the footsteps of many energy-related companies before it, Halliburton Co. is moving its corporate headquarters out of downtown Houston as part of a consolidation effort that will affect about 5,200 employees.

>>Full Article<< http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...7.html?ana=e_ph

Halliburton to leave downtown in favor of suburban campuses

Houston Business Journal - by Mary Ann Azevedo

Following in the footsteps of many energy-related companies before it, Halliburton Co. is moving its corporate headquarters out of downtown Houston as part of a consolidation effort that will affect about 5,200 employees.

>>Full Article<< http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...7.html?ana=e_ph

Halliburton's consolidation has no effect on this land. Since the breakup of Halliburton and KBR, only KBR has employees on this site. And their plans for a west Houston campus have been put on hold.

• The title was changed to KBR/Halliburton Updates

Archived