McMansion Attack

Houston1stWordOnTheMoon

It's not that people are tearing down homes; it's the fact that their tearing down unreplacable forest and waterways. It's all good, yo.

Houston, however (and I'ma get beat up 4 saying this), I'm all for this mansionization thing. It's replacing old homes, not forest or anything like that.

You are correct. Here in the Heights they defiantly do replace old yet solid homes with cheaply constructed McMansions on newly barren lots. And you are also correct: they don't replace the 100 year old live oaks, towering pine and pecan trees and majestic White Oaks cut down to accommodate yet another homogeneous future slum dwelling.

Who needs trees when you can pave over a 6000 sq/ft lot with a 10,000 sq/ft house with pool and pool house, make a bundle off of a couple of suckers who don't know any better to demand more for the money they are investing in their future? C'est la vie and the consequences that come with it!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I certainly understand the small lot/huge house paradox. One of the houses I'm working on is just under 8k LSF on a 10k lot in Bellaire. You have to hold your breath walking through the side yard and you can barely exhale in the back yard. But some people like this. They get the benefits of a large house with out the maintenance hassles of an estate lot.

To the complete opposite end of the spectrum is the house inside the city limits I am building on a 3.5 acre lot. There is more than 100 foot of front yard and side yard with a 18 foot driveway down the entire left side of the property and a gym and guest house to boot.

There just aren't many lots like this in the area, much less inside the Beltway.

I thought this chart was interesting, considering that average family/household size has been decreasing during this same period, so there's LOTS more room per person.

from1950s.jpg

Does the square footage include garages?

Nope, garages are not usually included in any home squarefootage count, that is my understanding.

I wonder if the complaints coming from some people about these large homes are do to the fact that they are jealous? Are they jealous that someone is able to have something that they cannot?

Some of the loudest voices against having large homes on a small lot are also some of the loudest voices preaching the" more density" crap for the city.

They are against a large home on a small lot but are all for having multiple homes no bigger than a minute piled on top of each other on the same sized lot.

One of those things that make you go hmmmm........

I wonder if the complaints coming from some people about these large homes are do to the fact that they are jealous? Are they jealous that someone is able to have something that they cannot?

Some of the loudest voices against having large homes on a small lot are also some of the loudest voices preaching the" more density" crap for the city.

They are against a large home on a small lot but are all for having multiple homes no bigger than a minute piled on top of each other on the same sized lot.

One of those things that make you go hmmmm........

I'm not one of the dudes complaining at all obviously, but I don't think it's jealousy. Perhaps the debate is on a neighborhood's original integrity, plus the fact that they think it's excessive for a 4-person or less family or single person to have more than 3,500 sq. ft. of living space. Personally, I'm all for bigger living space availability; I think it's a positive trait for Houston area. I also think more of my generation prefer new or newer homes instead of older homes when it comes to desire to reside. Not many major cities can offer larger-size living spaces at a reasonable price like Houston.

I'm not one of the dudes complaining at all obviously, but I don't think it's jealousy. Perhaps the debate is on a neighborhood's original integrity, plus the fact that they think it's excessive for a 4-person or less family or single person to have more than 3,500 sq. ft. of living space.

Ask the whiners if they own more than one pair of pants or more than one shirt. Then ask them if they wear them all at the same time?

Some would say its excessive to have more than one good change of clothes. Where does it end?

These same houses that some people here are trying to tout as great and good were also seen as cookie cutter and bad by some when they were built.

Given the choice, i will take my house or a new one over an older one anyday. Modern technology is a wonderful thing ;)

Zonal heating and airconditioning/standard.

Enough garage space to protect your automotive investments/standard

Up to date wiring and plumbing/standard

Energy efficient windows/standard

Home warranties/standard

etc etc etc etc

I personally would rather have the worry free mcmansion over some decrepit old roach pit of a house thats already dead and just too damn lazy to fall.

I have respect for people that engage in ressurection of the dead--old houses, but it isnt my scene ;););)

the spoiling of kids by the baby boom and gen-x generations are going to have grave effects on the children of today. I mean I'm about to graduate and know kids who already have graduated [college] who know nothing of the real world (like me). I have never held a job or any part time position for that matter. I am personally scared that my degree will just be a means to my parents couch's ends.

this correlates with the mcmansion craze and mini-mcmansion playgrounds. what are parents doing if they spoil their kids to sedentary lifestyle? maybe timmy needs to play pee-football instead of playing with 'action figures' inside his 700 sq ft mini home with built in satellite, high speed wireless, and plasma tv.

the mcmansion dilemma will never be solved because no neighborhood in the city of houston can stop it. just hope that they dont tear down the 100 yr old oaks that houston is known for to make way for a 9000 sq ft house on a 5000 sq ft lot. Im not jealous of the houses, but I would be if some offered worthwhile architectural designs. all that seem to be popping up are mediterranean monstrosities. the mediterranean 'design' gives me a bad taste in my mouth.

but I think we cannot blame the entire 'problem' on the no zoning regulations. we can only blame ourselves. and remember it still is great to make money.

...just a rant

the spoiling of kids by the baby boom and gen-x generations are going to have grave effects on the children of today. I mean I'm about to graduate and know kids who already have graduated [college] who know nothing of the real world (like me). I have never held a job or any part time position for that matter. I am personally scared that my degree will just be a means to my parents couch's ends.

this correlates with the mcmansion craze and mini-mcmansion playgrounds. what are parents doing if they spoil their kids to sedentary lifestyle? maybe timmy needs to play pee-football instead of playing with 'action figures' inside his 700 sq ft mini home with built in satellite, high speed wireless, and plasma tv.

the mcmansion dilemma will never be solved because no neighborhood in the city of houston can stop it. just hope that they dont tear down the 100 yr old oaks that houston is known for to make way for a 9000 sq ft house on a 5000 sq ft lot. Im not jealous of the houses, but I would be if some offered worthwhile architectural designs. all that seem to be popping up are mediterranean monstrosities. the mediterranean 'design' gives me a bad taste in my mouth.

but I think we cannot blame the entire 'problem' on the no zoning regulations. we can only blame ourselves. and remember it still is great to make money.

...just a rant

Always think positive. ;)

http://www.bythebayou.com/2006/12/boom-in-...eal-estate.html

Now for the kids: even more crap to worship!!! :D

Instead of just building a mini mansion for little Dylan, they should tell him that, if he can come up with the basic design, select the interior elements and help with the construction (assuming he's at least 10 or so) then it might be a valuable experience.

It's sort of a cliche to say struggle and hard work build character but I think it does. I pity the man who marries a woman who grew up with her very own 700 sq foot dollhouse with walk-in closets. :mellow:

I'm not one of the dudes complaining at all obviously, but I don't think it's jealousy. Perhaps the debate is on a neighborhood's original integrity, plus the fact that they think it's excessive for a 4-person or less family or single person to have more than 3,500 sq. ft. of living space. Personally, I'm all for bigger living space availability; I think it's a positive trait for Houston area. I also think more of my generation prefer new or newer homes instead of older homes when it comes to desire to reside. Not many major cities can offer larger-size living spaces at a reasonable price like Houston.

The lots needs to match the size of the house, the developers are just trying to squeeze every ounce of profit by stuffing (2-4) homes on lots that were originally meant for one.

The lots needs to match the size of the house, the developers are just trying to squeeze every ounce of profit by stuffing (2-4) homes on lots that were originally meant for one.

the majority of the younger set doesn't want a yard so it works just fine for them.

Yeah, that's not cool <_<

I must say, my BIGGEST pet peeve in Houston right now is seeing all these new neighborhoods pop up where each house looks exactly like the house beside it. That's lame as hell. Be different. I love bigass houses, but if it's a uniform neighborhood, I'm turned off, yo.

I must say, my BIGGEST pet peeve in Houston right now is seeing all these new neighborhoods pop up where each house looks exactly like the house beside it. That's lame as hell. Be different. I love bigass houses, but if it's a uniform neighborhood, I'm turned off, yo.

Excatly, it almost seems like you can't tell the builders apart. There is no such thing as colonial, tudor, ranch style etc type homes anymore.

They have all been very generic since the early 1990's with the same dark brick with the beige tone Hardi Plank.

Very boring to look at. And what the hell is with the multiple peaks on the roof! :wacko:

werd

Gee, thanx for that wonderful contribution to the topic. . . <_<

that 23k house sounds like the one hubert vo owns in rivercrest. am I right in saying that?

http://search.har.com/engine/indexdetail.c...mp;backButton=Y

Close, but not quite. That house is hideous, at least from the outside. I haven't been able to get over there to take a look at the inside.

The 23k sqft is a bit misleading. It is three seperate structures, so it isn't like it is one huge mega-mac. The main house is just under 12k.

are you talking about yours or the one on rivercrest?

yea basically vo's is 23k sq ft of a trendmaker home. the inside looks horrible from the pics. also brick and tile roof never go together. to me its been an eyesore off briar forest for a while now.

are you talking about yours or the one on rivercrest?

yea basically vo's is 23k sq ft of a trendmaker home. the inside looks horrible from the pics. also brick and tile roof never go together. to me its been an eyesore off briar forest for a while now.

I was talking about the one I'm building being 23k square feet. It is three structures for the square footage. And it isn't hideous either (IMO anyway) unlike the Vo house.

The house on W. Rivercrest you are talking about is even more ugly in person. I see it multiple times a week. I have yet to venture inside. It is one of the only projects on Rivercrest that I haven't poked around in.

• 1 month later...
I would bet less than 50%

at least...the majority of the silly ones in bellaire seem to be located inner loop (the standard lot sizes are around 8775 and 5000 sq. ft.)

the block i lived on when i was little, out of 30 houses, there are about 12 originals left

• The title was changed to McMansion Attack

Archived