Northgate Forest Wants To Secede From Spring ISD?

pineda

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I'm thinking if the annexation happens, Northgate Forest will be zoned to Klein Forest High School, Wunderlich Intermediate School and Greenwood Forest Elementary School.

Yeah, I'm thinking if the annexation happens, Northgate Forest will be zoned to Klein Forest High School, Wunderlich Intermediate School and Greenwood Forest Elementary School.

Well, that would actually be a step down from where they are now. For all of its issues, Westfield still has pretty good ratings, especially compared to KF. I would be surprised if that's the school that the residents are hoping to be zoned to. Its one of the most overcrowded in KISD and I've heard before that they were looking at Kleins Collins.

I used to live near there..I went in Olde Oakes and saw 50 houses for sell one weekend...that's sad..

if TC Jester is expanding that means "we're coming" in the northern part of Klein ISD soon.....better access

Klein Forest is majority black because in the 70s or so, Klein was forced to increase their minority numbers so they drew the attendance zone to include Acres Homes at the time. The back of Acres Homes actually went to Klein at one time until Forest was built. Eventually, people left Acres Homes and settled across 249 and eventually took KF over...

Klein ISD's attendance zone looks like a lollipop...

It'll be interesting to see what Spring ISD decides to do.

I grew up in the area and I support any neighborhood that decides its no longer wants to be part of that once great district. Who could blame them for wanting to leave? This was a really nice area 15 years ago. Still would be if the Northside of FM 1960 were in Klein ISD.

What you're seeing here is a microsphere of what will happen to America in the coming decades. The implications are tremendous.

It'll be interesting to see what Spring ISD decides to do.

I grew up in the area and I support any neighborhood that decides its no longer wants to be part of that once great district. Who could blame them for wanting to leave? This was a really nice area 15 years ago. Still would be if the Northside of FM 1960 were in Klein ISD.

What you're seeing here is a microsphere of what will happen to America in the coming decades. The implications are tremendous.

ABC 13 is telling me that Spring ISD shot down the move unanimously.

Of course they did.

What will Klein do?

I suspect I already know, as they're not willing to rock the boat.

IMO, the Northgate group would have a better shot if it had provided a larger alliance (including Olde Oaks, Ponderosa Forest, and Westador) that could provide the very real threat of shooting down every future Bond issue proposed by Spring ISD.

ABC 13 is telling me that Spring ISD shot down the move unanimously.

Yeah, It was ABC 13's Top Story last night at 10 pm. I was not surprised by Spring ISD's move. Now it will be interesting to see what Klein does now.

Yeah, It was ABC 13's Top Story last night at 10 pm. I was not surprised by Spring ISD's move. Now it will be interesting to see what Klein does now.

Klein will do nothing. They would be idiots to even address the issue. If forced to address the issue they will unanimously shoot it down as well. then the issue is over. However, if for some odd reason the Northgate folks get what they want the chances they go to Klein Collins will be slim. Klein just finished proving they have no idea how to zone a school district.

If you don't want to attend school because of so-called demographics..there's always private schools....if you can afford a big home in an exclusive area then you should have no problem finding a school...

Northland Christian is nearby

The so-called demographics changed overnight. They didn't land on the Hood...the Hood landed on them!

IMO, they've got every right to try and do what they can to switch and not be shackled to that shitt. They're the ones paying the taxes, for which they get nothing of any value in return. I know the people in Ponderosa, Olde Oaks and Westador feel the same way.

Hey it probably won't work, but more power to them for fighting a crappy, bloated system.

If you don't want to attend school because of so-called demographics..there's always private schools....if you can afford a big home in an exclusive area then you should have no problem finding a school...

Northland Christian is nearby

Yeah, their argument a borderline racist, overtly classist, and inherently American. I mean, no one really wants to live next door to 'those people' in this country.

I wonder if a way to neutralize the controversy over "race" is to merge Klein and Spring ISDs and then rezone Northgate Forest to Klein HS until a new HS between Klein Forest and Westfield is built.

I wonder if a way to neutralize the controversy over "race" is to merge Klein and Spring ISDs and then rezone Northgate Forest to Klein HS until a new HS between Klein Forest and Westfield is built.

Wouldn't that be something.

Thing that gets me though is that it appears that most of the people in Northgate are sending their kids to private schools so what do they really care any how? Seems purely political to me.

aldine isd magnets are not that different. I taught in one and 40% of the kids were in a TAKS class.

My idea of an Aldine magnet (in Houston ISD) would work like this:

Aviation Sciences and Airline and Aviation Careers at Aldine High School

* Flight training (This is done at HISD's Sterling - but I have more)

* Route planning and airline management

* Air traffic control operations

* International relations

It would mostly aim for the following groups due to proximity:

* Aldine & Greenspoint (mostly Hispanic)

* Northline Mall area (mostly Hispanic)

* Kingwood (mostly White)

* Summerwood (somewhat White)

* North Forest area (African-American)

* Inwood Forest/Acres Homes area (African-American)

And, yes, I would include plenty of field trips to the airport :)

Wouldn't that be something.

Thing that gets me though is that it appears that most of the people in Northgate are sending their kids to private schools so what do they really care any how? Seems purely political to me.

It has nothing to do with sending their kids to good schools. It's all about increasing the value of their homes. They're all pretty much turning their backs on Westfield. I feel bad for Spring I.S.D., because they have no control over the demographics shifts of their schools. Things changed very abruptly right around 2004. I'm sure the administrators at Westfield wish the school was still the way it once was, but they can't exactly send all these migrants from the hood back to their original places.

Yeah, their argument a borderline racist, overtly classist, and inherently American. I mean, no one really wants to live next door to 'those people' in this country.

This is an expected reaction for a homgeneous bedroom community in the outer part of the city that got invaded by a new demographic. I don't see the need to be overtly racist, but there is nothing wrong with being overtly classist, because that is what this issue is all about, socio-economics. If Westfield area was being invaded by black yuppies who teach their kids to dress and talk like the white kids, there would be no issue. A large influx of poor people into a middle class school zone will certainly bring down the school's performance and ratings, regardless of what race that influx of poor people belong to. It is possible to argue the case that poor blacks would bring down a school district more than poor whites (based on purely cultural differences in how the kids are raised and how they are taught to value education, how stable and functional their families are, etc), but for the most part, race has nothing to do with it. Unfortunately, you have no study for comparison, since large groups of poor whites tend to live in rural areas and in small towns instead of urban areas, where migrations of poor people, from one area of the city to another area further out, are more likely to occur.

I came from a family with two parents who held college degrees that bought a house in the 70s in an area (SW Houston- Willowridge) that switched just like Westfield....the people moved as fast as they could and eventually began the Sugar Land migration....my old house has tripled in value, we have great highway access to every part of Houston now and lo and behold developers are building restaurants in the area now for a change...if you bought your house 10 years ago you can turn a profit easily

If your threatened by my skin color (lets be real, that's the story) then good riddance...you may need to study an area before you move and buy a billion dollar house and want to cry foul when an area changes

anyone with a brain who can see could see that the 1960 area was going to change back in the 90s.....ANYTIME a SUBURBAN DISTRCT BORDERS A MINORITY DISTRICT WITH ALOT OF MULTIFAMILY OPTIONS..THE SUBURBAN DISTRICT WILL BEGIN TO SHIFT

If I live in Greenspoint and I'm tired of the apartment living but want to stay close to the area for my family...where will a first time or move-up home buyer think on that side of town?

Will i move to?

Back towards Acres Home? Hidden Valley? (Aldine ISD)

Cy-Fair is kind of far...(no)

Humble? (maybe but still out there)

Hmmm....Spring is a nice area..Veterans Memorial has access directly to I-45....the Beltway is a good East-West Corridor..I see plenty of move-up options for me...Westfield High has a good football/basketball team so I can get exposure, etc.

also...they've built tons of apartments off 1960 in the past, alot of small starter homes and rarely do those areas remain the same so it was designed for Westfield to shift

if people would drive in their respective area/school zone before buying maybe they could make logical decisions....Spring's boundaries snake into Greenspoint...if you drive down Greens Road near Veterans near Claughton MS you will see alot of older Greenspoint neighborhoods zoned to Spring that's appealing to first time home buyers/rental opportunties, etc. so obviously Westfield will resemble that area..

I agree, everyone needs to study an area before just packing up and moving in. What are the trends? What are the forecasts?

Personally, I like multicultural neighborhoods. I do not want to live in an all black area (any more than I want to live in an area with mostly whites and few if any other cultural or ethnic 'others').

It's a fact of life ... Houston has no real majority and the enclaves (of any race) that do exist, I predict, will be gone within a couple of decades.

I moved here from Baltimore which has true enclaves of ethnic homogeneity. Certain all white, all Italian, all Black, all Irish neighborhoods across the city. Many other cities the same way. And don't DARE try to move into one of them if you are the wrong ethnicity.

So it was weird (refreshing?) that when I got here the only thing restricting where people live (can or choose) is $$$. You wanna live in the Galleria area? Cool, just be willing to shell-out. Wanna live in Westbury (Hispanic and black although once nearly all-white) ... cool. Wanna buy in 3rd Ward, Museum District, where ever .. .just have the duckets.

As we've grown, there is really no where else folks are gonna be able to run to any more because there's no escaping the fact that we gonna have to live together or die trying to escape.

Archived