Dallas vs. Houston

lockmat

I just came back from Dallas' forum?, and what I found was somewhat surprising.

I searched for Houston topics just to see what they had to say about us and much of it was very positive. Many of the posters were happy to see what was going on here. I even saw a few, "way to go Houston!" posts.

I found a little bit of jealousy as well, but not to the point where they dispised the development. Really, it was almost non-existent.

It's kind of a shame that we even have this bitter rivalry. After coming away with some of their thoughts, I even hope we can all take a different approach to things; an approach that looks at things from the perspective that we're all Texans, and what both our cities do will improve our images as a whole.

I know part of our resintment towards them is because they get more national recognition. But although they get it, they know that Houston is a great city as well and even admit it.

To me, the important thing is that we both continue making our respective cities better and improved; not just for national recognition, but for ourselves and our communities most importantly.

I am happy though that I have not really seen any Dallas bashing in this forum. And I hope that we can be just as positive about the improvment D is making, as they are for ours.

Sorry if I sounded like Dr. Phil, but I just thought it was worth mentioning.

----------------------------------------------

Well, I just came from reading a few other Dallas vs. Houston posts in this DFW forum and noticed some of the moderators don't like the city bashing.

Neither do I, and this post was not meant at all to start that type of thing. Just wanted to give some fresh perspective.

Hope I don't make the moderators mad. If y'all see this thread fit for somewhere else, by all means, move it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:mellow:

[sigh]

Well, Guess I'll just pack my bags and go home.

[Later that day, 2112 is seen boarding a ship at the Port of Dallas. Where he was headed, no one could say.]

Wish I understood what that's supposed to mean. And although I don't totally get it, the mentioning of the Port of Dallas was pretty funny.

I just came back from Dallas' forum?, and what I found was somewhat surprising.

I searched for Houston topics just to see what they had to say about us and much of it was very positive. Many of the posters were happy to see what was going on here. I even saw a few, "way to go Houston!" posts.

I found a little bit of jealousy as well, but not to the point where they dispised the development. Really, it was almost non-existent.

It's kind of a shame that we even have this bitter rivalry. After coming away with some of their thoughts, I even hope we can all take a different approach to things; an approach that looks at things from the perspective that we're all Texans, and what both our cities do will improve our images as a whole.

I know part of our resintment towards them is because they get more national recognition. But although they get it, they know that Houston is a great city as well and even admit it.

To me, the important thing is that we both continue making our respective cities better and improved; not just for national recognition, but for ourselves and our communities most importantly.

I am happy though that I have not really seen any Dallas bashing in this forum. And I hope that we can be just as positive about the improvment D is making, as they are for ours.

Sorry if I sounded like Dr. Phil, but I just thought it was worth mentioning.

----------------------------------------------

Well, I just came from reading a few other Dallas vs. Houston posts in this DFW forum and noticed some of the moderators don't like the city bashing.

Neither do I, and this post was not meant at all to start that type of thing. Just wanted to give some fresh perspective.

Hope I don't make the moderators mad. If y'all see this thread fit for somewhere else, by all means, move it.

GREAT POST! I have learned this the hard way. I had some bad feelings because I thought the Metroplex to be smarmy and too much attitude. But the people up there are like we are: good Texas folks. I am going into 2007 with a positive Texas is the Best attitude. I hope Dal & Hou will be proud together as opposed to divisive. No, no Dr. Phil, you sound cool-headed and right. I just haven't been to any Dallas forums, but maybe I will. Happy Holidays to all. B)

P.S. I apologize to anyone in Dallas I have offended because of "off the cuff" posts. I promise to be a good houstonfella. ;)

On a side note, I know people say that San Antonio is now larger than Dallas, but Dallas has a larger metro, not even including Fort Worth. It also has more buildings, more corportations, more business, more traffic, and more wealth. It's clear that Dallas is still Texas's 2nd largest city hence the city limit population difference between SA and DAL.

No matter how much San Antonio tries to step up, the rivalry will still always be between Dallas and Houston. Always has been and always will be... Dallas and Houston, the two cities that lead the state forever. San Antonio might have a big population but still can't compete with what cities of Dal & Hou have to offer.

These are the truest words ever spoken.

One thing I have found about Dallas over the years is it's Blues Music scene. Deep Ellum and the lower Lemmon Ave area are really the heart and soul of the blues scene. All the way back to the Fog and Mother Blues, to back in the good ole days at the Funky Monkey. Dallas has always had a powerful music scene that I really enjoyed. Austin is still the home of Texas Music Scene, but Dallas has always done really well.

Now i don't know that this explanation is all about. I thought you made a funny, but your explanation killed the joke.

No matter how much San Antonio tries to step up, the rivalry will still always be between Dallas and Houston. Always has been and always will be... Dallas and Houston, the two cities that lead the state forever. San Antonio might have a big population but still can't compete with what cities of Dal & Hou have to offer.

I think many of us love San Antonio mainly because of it's downtown area and it has a different vibe from Dallas and Houston. But some San Antonio posters can be very defensive. If people on here thought Dallas posters and Houston posters are defensive, you needed to take a trip to SSP earlier this year and last year. You say even the slightest criticism about San Antonio, they will attack you like sharks. Houston nor Dallas posters have nothing on them when it comes to that. Especially if you keep saying that Dallas is the 2nd largest. They will get angry with you if you say that.

To be honest, Dallas vs. Houston's all in fun. It's not a matter of "who's better". It's a matter of wanting to "compete", because let's face it, friendly competition forces both sides to improve themselves more. It raises the standard, and as a result, Dallas AND Houston both look better and better.

I go to Dallas for business every couple months, and I gotta say that some of those regular office buildings between the Galleria area and Frisco on the Tollway look top-notch. I'm impressed. Usually, when I think of a 15-story building, I don't expect much in the architecture, but Dallas seems to have set the bar with some of those buildings there.

To be honest, Dallas vs. Houston's all in fun. It's not a matter of "who's better". It's a matter of wanting to "compete", because let's face it, friendly competition forces both sides to improve themselves more. It raises the standard, and as a result, Dallas AND Houston both look better and better.

I go to Dallas for business every couple months, and I gotta say that some of those regular office buildings between the Galleria area and Frisco on the Tollway look top-notch. I'm impressed. Usually, when I think of a 15-story building, I don't expect much in the architecture, but Dallas seems to have set the bar with some of those buildings there.

I guess I'm not quite ready to start vacuuming each other's @!%$ 's just yet. (Insert Pulp Fiction Reference). Besides, it all gets a little too plastic and fake without the true spirit of animosity. It starts to become a little, well,

My brother lives up in Big D. He disliked it at first.

But the further up the corporate ladder he went, the more he liked the Metroplex.

I always enjoyed going up there back in the late 80s-early 90s when the West End/Dallas Alley and Deep Ellum were bringing it.

After finishing an Associates in Tampa, my brother let me stay there in the early 90s to look for a job...but to me as I found out after two weeks looking, it's one thing to party in Dallas on the weekends...and another to try and actually live there full-time.

Dallas is similar to my brother...clean cut, conservative and NEAT. He is an avid follower of all the Metroplex pro sports teams save the Cowboys whom he still hates with a passion (he still roots for the Titans).

I'm no slob...but Houston's always been more my taste...wide open, eccentric and just warmer in ways. Dallas is just kinda cold in a metaphoric sense (and literally too). Houston has a masculine character while Dallas, like Atlanta, seems more feminine.

It's funny. I love Texas but Houston is the only city there I would in. I love California per se a little better statewise...but I still like Houston better than any city there (and I could live in San Diego, L.A. or any non-San Fran or non-Oakland town in the Bay Area, sucking costs...but Houston is still more preferable to me). Funny how that works.

Sports is where the real passions lie. I hated seeing the Rox lose to the Mavs in the 2005 playoffs, I hated seeing the Texans lose to the Cowboys a few months ago.

But dis ain't the late 70s no more. There really isn't that same "Houston vs Dallas" thing anymore; both towns have grown up quite a bit since then.

My brother lives up in Big D. He disliked it at first.

But the further up the corporate ladder he went, the more he liked the Metroplex.

I always enjoyed going up there back in the late 80s-early 90s when the West End/Dallas Alley and Deep Ellum were bringing it.

After finishing an Associates in Tampa, my brother let me stay there in the early 90s to look for a job...but to me as I found out after two weeks looking, it's one thing to party in Dallas on the weekends...and another to try and actually live there full-time.

Dallas is similar to my brother...clean cut, conservative and NEAT. He is an avid follower of all the Metroplex pro sports teams save the Cowboys whom he still hates with a passion (he still roots for the Titans).

I'm no slob...but Houston's always been more my taste...wide open, eccentric and just warmer in ways. Dallas is just kinda cold in a metaphoric sense (and literally too). Houston has a masculine character while Dallas, like Atlanta, seems more feminine.

It's funny. I love Texas but Houston is the only city there I would in. I love California per se a little better statewise...but I still like Houston better than any city there (and I could live in San Diego, L.A. or any non-San Fran or non-Oakland town in the Bay Area, sucking costs...but Houston is still more preferable to me). Funny how that works.

Sports is where the real passions lie. I hated seeing the Rox lose to the Mavs in the 2005 playoffs, I hated seeing the Texans lose to the Cowboys a few months ago.

But dis ain't the late 70s no more. There really isn't that same "Houston vs Dallas" thing anymore; both towns have grown up quite a bit since then.

I think most people that have had experience with both cities, would echo your above sentiment.

The 75 Central Expressway, once a fascimile of a war zone, is now some of the sharpest looking freeway I've ever seen.

And those buildings you speak of, when driving on 30 or 635 eastbound...they do look like a distant scattered skyline north of downtown.

I think most people that have had experience with both cities, would echo your above sentiment.

Gary, Gary, Gary...

Thanks for giving us all a good laugh. How could you assume such a thing. The fact is is that very few people, yourself included I'm sure, have experienced all of what both cities have to offer. I doubt that those who have spent a good deal of time in Dallas and Houston would favor one city over the other by a wide margin. I would suspect it'd be around 50-50. Most people would probably prefer the city where they have the closest friends and where they are closer to family.

Anyhow Gary, we all know you love Houston...just don't generalize your feelings to a majority of the overall population. It doesn't add anything to the thread.

Gary, Gary, Gary...

Thanks for giving us all a good laugh. How could you assume such a thing. The fact is is that very few people, yourself included I'm sure, have experienced all of what both cities have to offer. I doubt that those who have spent a good deal of time in Dallas and Houston would favor one city over the other by a wide margin. I would suspect it'd be around 50-50. Most people would probably prefer the city where they have the closest friends and where they are closer to family.

Anyhow Gary, we all know you love Houston...just don't generalize your feelings to a majority of the overall population. It doesn't add anything to the thread.

Why of course it does. Gary was simply expressing what he thinks is an objective observation. There is most definitely a different character between these two fine cities, one of them is bigger, highly diverse, international, and has more grit with an industrial feel to it, while the other one feels more polished, well planned, and properly groomed. It's just like I have said all along: Houston is a Shipley

Why of course it does. Gary was simply expressing what he thinks is an objective observation. There is most definitely a different character between these two fine cities, one of them is bigger, highly diverse, international, and has more grit with an industrial feel to it, while the other one feels more polished, well planned, and properly groomed. It's just like I have said all along: Houston is a Shipley

Gary, Gary, Gary...

You're so right ND. I grew up mostly on the east coast. My folks retired to Houston and I live in Dallas. I lived in Houston briefly and chose to live here. That choice doesn't mean I dislike Houston at all. I'm there often and have many likes and dislikes about the city, and guess what....I feel the same way about Dallas. Both cities are both very different in some ways, and yet very similar in others. I've enjoyed the times I've spent in both.

Gary, Gary, Gary...

As 2112 mentioned, I was making the point that the personality of Dallas is much different than that of Houston. I have been in and out of Dallas for 20 years via show's, friends etc, so I do feel very qualified to state the obvious. What's the obvious? That Dallas' universal personality is that of "we're upper class and your not". This isn't some new thing that just came down the pipe, it's a well known fact.

You can argue all you like about how biased I am, but understand that the FACT's are known far and wide regarding Dallas' personality. Geeez, I knew about Dallas' when I was still in LA.

As 2112 mentioned, I was making the point that the personality of Dallas is much different than that of Houston. I have been in and out of Dallas for 20 years via show's, friends etc, so I do feel very qualified to state the obvious. What's the obvious? That Dallas' universal personality is that of "we're upper class and your not". This isn't some new thing that just came down the pipe, it's a well known fact.

You can argue all you like about how biased I am, but understand that the FACT's are known far and wide regarding Dallas' personality. Geeez, I knew about Dallas' when I was still in LA.

Your opinion of Dallas is all well and fine, but earlier, I was disagreeing with your conclusion that most people would favor Houston over Dallas as WorldlyMan did. That's all I was arguing. Like I said, I think people's preferences would probably be based more on friends and family than the cities themselves.

Now I'll address what you just posted. I think your generalization of Dallas' condescending persona is short-sighted at best. Sure, North Dallas and the Park Cities do have their share of wealthy residents, but as a lower middle class North Dallasite, I feel that attitude is not the prevalent one. If you get out and see all of Dallas beyond Uptown, the Park Cities, Preston Hollow, and other affluent neighborhoods, you'll encounter down-to-earth hard-working folks.

Plus, a great majority of the wealthy people I do know(who are aware of my family's economic status) are not snobby at all. Many rich people won't blink twice or act any differently when they realize that you live in a house about an eigth the size of theirs. Often, I'm surprised by the size of the houses people live in after getting to know them.

Now, I do admit there are some upper class people who are nasty and exclusive(as there are everywhere), but they definitely make up a minority. And if you spend enough time here, you'd realize that.

While Dallas is not predominantly blue collar, it is absolutely wrong to give it a universal pompous and arrogant personality as you do Gary.

Your opinion of Dallas is all well and fine, but earlier, I was disagreeing with your conclusion that most people would favor Houston over Dallas as WorldlyMan did. That's all I was arguing. Like I said, I think people's preferences would probably be based more on friends and family than the cities themselves.

Now I'll address what you just posted. I think your generalization of Dallas' condescending persona is short-sighted at best. Sure, North Dallas and the Park Cities do have their share of wealthy residents, but as a lower middle class North Dallasite, I feel that attitude is not the prevalent one. If you get out and see all of Dallas beyond Uptown, the Park Cities, Preston Hollow, and other affluent neighborhoods, you'll encounter down-to-earth hard-working folks.

Plus, a great majority of the wealthy people I do know(who are aware of my family's economic status) are not snobby at all. Many rich people won't blink twice or act any differently when they realize that you live in a house about an eigth the size of theirs. Often, I'm surprised by the size of the houses people live in after getting to know them.

Now, I do admit there are some upper class people who are nasty and exclusive(as there are everywhere), but they definitely make up a minority. And if you spend enough time here, you'd realize that.

While Dallas is not predominantly blue collar, it is absolutely wrong to give it a universal pompous and arrogant personality as you do Gary.

Excellent post!!!!!!!! :D

I agree that it is not universal as you mention. But there does seem to be something there. How else could one explain the seemingly universal perception that Dallas has pompousness in it? I have heard it for over 35 years from people outside of this forum. It

I think all this rivalry has to do with the media (and football). If you've noticed, a lot of this comes from statements like 'Big D', etc.

Everyone in the world knows about 'The Dallas Cowboys' and 'Dallas' the television show. What has Houston (media-wise) ... well let's see ... we have Katrina evacuees and a really long time ago (at least in Internet years) we had a great Astrodome and Space Center that was making news regularly.

I mean, Dallas even managed to kill an American president so they got even MORE coverage.

What I find amazing all the time is that the national weather ALWAYS lists Dallas on their weather maps but you never (well ... rarely) even see Houston.

I think we can safely blame the rivalry on ... the MEDIA.

B)

Archived