Dallas vs. Houston

lockmat

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure why New York is even an issue here, because what we have here is nothing more than a long tradition of Houston versus Dallas rivalry. It has nothing to do with New York - excpet for the fact that Dallas likes to think they are "New York". While Houston likes to think they are, well, Houston. Further, anyone who knows Texas and Houston and Dallas knows that "insecurity" is the least of the problems. If anything, Texans think (as I) that we are in fact the center of the universe. Incidently, that title belongs to Houston and not Dallas because, as it turns out, we are the center of the planet when humans surveying the solar system is taken into account. So as long as everyone understands that when it comes to the larger picture that includes Earth and the immediate surrounding parts of the solar system, that humans can claim, then Houston becomes the center of all things. I'm not sure what Dallas is, but I know it's not that. So we dont worry about being "international", when we allready are "interplanetary".

No insecurity involved because Houston is the center of the planet.

Houston is "interplanetary"? Been licking toads again?

I will say this.....this forum is amusing if not ever on topic.

That's the most honest statement in this entire thread. People in New York or Chicago would laugh at all the insecurity here. I wish we could think bigger....Texas vs. California, with all the cities of Texas being important parts of a larger economic engine.

Neither city will be "International" until we start looking beyond the 500 miles between us.

No, folks in California don't laugh. L.A. and S.F. can't stand each other. Pretty typical for states with major metros.... each thinks their metros is better than the other. Anyhow, isn't Dallas 250 miles from Houston? 500 miles is a long stretch of highway even by Texas standards. I don't think there is insecurity in Dallas or Houston. I think it is a pride thing and that's not all bad. -_-

No insecurity involved because Houston is the center of the planet.

Houston is "interplanetary"? Been licking toads again?

I will say this.....this forum is amusing if not ever on topic.

:blush:

How'd - ja know about the toads?

Speaking of pride... Houston's 55 degrees is so much better than 33 or whatever is up in Dal. Yeah, it is wet and drizzly, but most of the day it was almost pleasant by winter standards. So there. Winter Houston is way better than Winter Dallas. Other than that, the cities are Texan and that means we gotta be big and proud. ... let's just say Houston is the fat cat (bigger) and Dallas the cool kat (cooler and that can be weather too). Now both big towns have something to be proud of ... err ... I think that's what I mean.

Happy 2007 to Texas. Let's get rid of this colder weather though. Texas is supposed to be hot and a little humidity thrown in. B)

Speaking of pride... Houston's 55 degrees is so much better than 33 or whatever is up in Dal.

I'm quite happy with the 55 and sunny predicted today. The sunshine (specifically its radiant heating) makes a huge difference as long as the winds are not strong. Hard to quantify, but easily feels warmer than say a 65

It's kind of a shame that we even have this bitter rivalry. After coming away with some of their thoughts, I even hope we can all take a different approach to things; an approach that looks at things from the perspective that we're all Texans, and what both our cities do will improve our images as a whole.<<lockmat

I always considered it a little friendly one-upsmanship. I have traveled more to Dallas in the last five years than ever before and I find the place interesting. When I go up to visit my friends I always take time to wander around, get the lay of the land and visit some local landmarks. Of course I wouldn't consider living there simply because I feel fine right here in Houston. I would bet you dollars to donuts though, if there were some horrible thing to happen here in Houston, the Dallas folks would probably be right here to help us out and I truly believe we would do the same for them.

Speaking of pride... Houston's 55 degrees is so much better than 33 or whatever is up in Dal. Yeah, it is wet and drizzly, but most of the day it was almost pleasant by winter standards. So there. Winter Houston is way better than Winter Dallas. Other than that, the cities are Texan and that means we gotta be big and proud. ... let's just say Houston is the fat cat (bigger) and Dallas the cool kat (cooler and that can be weather too). Now both big towns have something to be proud of ... err ... I think that's what I mean.

Happy 2007 to Texas. Let's get rid of this colder weather though. Texas is supposed to be hot and a little humidity thrown in. B)

This is a moronic post.

^ I wouldn't go that far. I think Houstonfella has been relatively restrained lately. I find it refreshing.

Jason

Well, I think arguing day-to-day weather between these two cities is pretty silly. I find that on a yearly basis, each city has its approximately equal share of revolting weather, for one reason or another.

For the record -- I had the top down driving around town today, on the way to the airport to do some flying, in pursuit of my private pilot's certificate. Partly cloudy and 60, with calm winds. Nice day here, too. You're right -- with the sun, I was completely comfortable at freeway speeds (85mph) with the top down.

Okay, so now mine is a moronic post, too. This thread is done. Bleh.

Hey

I just made the move two weeks ago. I plan to finish the final 60 hours at UTA. Live in an apartment West of Downtown Dallas.

Anyhow, i find the Dallas Freeway system a major pain. Besides the N/S I-75, the freeways here arent as 'user friendly' as id like.

I figure im officially a Dallasite now. :)

Well, I think arguing day-to-day weather between these two cities is pretty silly. I find that on a yearly basis, each city has its approximately equal share of revolting weather, for one reason or another.

I would have to agree. Houston certainly doesn't get as cold and severe, but we do have a thing called hurricanes that can put a real damper on your dinner plans. That being said, both cities are pretty similar most of the time.

Archived