Looking for Nice, Classy place to have a few drinks

I moved to Albuquerque where my sister and her fiance live. He was born and raised here, but since me and my sister are from Houston they are going to have the wedding there too.

ABQ is not too bad, but it's not Houston. For his bachelor party time, he wants to go have drinks at a place that you wouldn't find in ABQ, which hardly has any upscale restaurants and things like that. He's not looking for a place that'll break the bank, but he's looking for a place that would be cool to hang out in and sit back and sip a little bit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Well, I'm not up on all of the hip places Downtown, but that would be where I would concentrate. My suggestions would be:

1. The bar at the top of the Hilton of the Americas - great view of downtown

2. Check out a few of the places on Main street - Live Sports Bar at 407 Main is cool as is Flying Saucer at 705 Main.

3. To finish out the night, take the train to Sammy's at 2019 Main. Great bar, great music, and you get a choo-choo ride!

There are a lot of places close to Live Sports Bar - so as long as the weather is good, wander around and see what strikes your fancy.

Have fun!

Edited by native_Houstonian

I would 2nd the bar at the top of Hilton of the Americas. I would also suggest La Carafe, Hotel Icon and Sambuca (live music) which are located downtown.

I think these are all great suggestions, except Sambuca. For music I second Sammy's- plus it's totally casual and good people watching. You could also see who is playing at the Continental Club.

The downtown bars would be nice, but not so sure about the Hotel Icon bar. That will be a little pricey. The goal is to have fun without breaking the bank, no?

Right. Remember now, he's from Albuquerque. It doesn't have to be Houston top of the line. Just something he hasn't seen before, being from ABQ. We're not looking to get wasted, just enjoy a cool atmosphere.

And strippers will not be involved in this bachelor party.

Right. Remember now, he's from Albuquerque. It doesn't have to be Houston top of the line. Just something he hasn't seen before, being from ABQ. We're not looking to get wasted, just enjoy a cool atmosphere.

And strippers will not be involved in this bachelor party.

Nice laid back places I like that are obscure - two I can think of are the flat and absinthe. the flat is i think on commonwealth where waugh splits off of gray. obscure location, looks like a dentists office from the outside, drive too fast and you'll miss it on your left. laid back cool lounge. absinthe on richmond is similar, no sign, just two big doors you can see from the street. think its in the 600 block of richmond. both the flat and the flat are pretty laid back - then if you need something a little different afterwards you can go to red door in midtown and hang out on the roof looking into the skyline of downtown - different than the mountains of new mexico is to look at our concrete sculptures of downtown.

don't know if i would call any of these cheap, but that little three pack of places that are pretty loungish. sammys is good for music, i would agree, and also w. alabama ice house is not classy, but is a texas thing for sure.

No strippers, oookay then i second the vote for absinthe. My buddies and i go there when we just want to hang out and have a few drinks. Weds nights are bring your own ipod night, but i think if you tip well you might persuade the bartender to play at least some of your tunes on any night. They also have pretty good quesadillas if you guys get hungry.

I think the classiest places in Houston are The Whiskey @ Hotel Icon (yes, it's a little expensive for Houston) and Belvedere in Uptown.

Red Door is always good.

The Flat is cool, very laid back. Kobain's on Waugh (behind Chatter's) is nice-looking, great porch, laid back, great service. The Social is similar.

If you want to park somewhere and bar hop a little... Park in near the Post @ Midtown... you've got Front Porch, Komodos, and Deco... all very laid back and all pretty different. Also you've got Farrago's, The Fish, & Cyclone Anaya's for food & drinks. Sammy's isn't too far for a great band & dancing. Red Door's only a few blocks from there too.

Those are my choices. :)

Chi Japanese Cuisine

27100 I 45

The Woodlands, TX 77385

Phone: 281 419-1166

Fax: 281 419-0010

If you want something trendy and hip in The Woodlands, I would recommend Chi.

I've been there twice, and really liked it. Great decor and ambience, superb food (sushi, too!) and classy bar. Not too terribly expensive either. Located across from Woodlands Mall.

• 3 weeks later...
I would 2nd the bar at the top of Hilton of the Americas. I would also suggest La Carafe, Hotel Icon and Sambuca (live music) which are located downtown.

The State Bar which is above Sambuca at the Rice Hotel is a great bar, Small and quiet.

Well, where did you go? Did you use any of the suggestions?

Spurr(spurt?) of the moment changed things. You know how that can go. You'll probably be dissapointed to know that we ended up going to Cabo's right before it closed and then hung out at Slick Willie's the rest of the night.