Isiah Carey's Blog is gone

Pumapayam

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because I know Carey's opinions on various issues, how can I trust him to present balanced and unbiased report on one of those issues on TV? That's the tight rope reporters have to walk, and if they can't walk it they should get out of reporting and set themselves up as commentators.

As for Isiah Carey, I only went to his blog a few times, but I think his employer told him to shut it down because so much of his employer's "in house" dirty laundry was showing up there. If Carey was working for me and revealing private "in house" stuff to the public I wouldn't like it either.

I really don't know why the blog is gone. That's just my opinion.

First, Isaiah's employer never told him to shut his blog down. In fact, his news director, managing editor, and general manager read the blog everyday to make sure he doesn't go too far. And if you've read Isaiah's posts, it's more of him reporting where he has been and who he has seen rather than giving his opinion on news releated issues. I'd prefer knowing a reporter and what his life is like rather than relying on a dark mysterious talking head who shows no sign of a personal life at all. We at least know Isaiah is human, has friends and goes to more than just Beso's on Wednesday nights like other tv reporters. It doesn't take a robot reporter to be unbiased. It takes a human to tell a story. Because humans can relate to another human. And finally, you've got to be nieve if you think the public doesn't realize every reporter who covers the news has an opinion. The public is smart and they trust those who have not failed them over the years. Believe me they're not going to turn off their tv's if they realize you tv faces have opinions.

FOX Producer

how can I trust him to present balanced and unbiased report on one of those issues on TV?

You can't. Like other posters have said, there is no way to keep your personal bias/feelings/opinions out of stories. If there was, the Houston Chronicle, for one, would be a much better paper than it is! I don't care if reporters have blogs. It hurts no one. If they all had blogs, maybe they could give us more information about a story that only gets a 20-second sound bite on television or is buried in print media somewhere. Maybe they could give us what they really thought about the story, rather than having to give us the story through the censored lens of the news director, who has THEIR own bias. I noticed Jeff Ehling even has a myspace account! The more news outlets, the better. It gives you more choices on what you can hear/see/read. Just think of all the interesting things you've learned from reading HAIF! :wub:

We at least know Isaiah is human, has friends and goes to more than just Beso's on Wednesday nights like other tv reporters.

FOX Producer

What is so special about Beso's

Nice. A producer that can't spell.

Be nice, he probably is not really one anyways.

hey - you forgot

First, Isaiah's employer

And if you've read Isaiah's posts

We at least know Isaiah is human

:rolleyes:

I think he was thinking of this person instead. I did not click on the link, it had something about nudity and it is likely not safe for work. Just a warning!

there is no way to keep your personal bias/feelings/opinions out of stories.

That's complete BS. I've reported the news for more than 30 years and I'm here to tell you it is possible and it happens all the time. Countless reporters do it every day and don't have the first problem with it.

The problem here is that people are confusing "reporting" with "analysis and commentary". A reporter's only job is to tell you what happened and what people said. Nothing more and nothing less. Just the unvarnished facts. It's really not hard at all, and any reporter who says it's not possible is just looking for an excuse for the opinions he or she wants to sneak into a story. It's also dishonest in the extreme, because it's used to justify a dishonest account of a news event.

Far too many reporters today will tell you they became reporters so they could "change the world", but that's NOT a reporter's job. Any reporter who can't remember that needs to find another line of work and leave the commentary to those who're paid to analyze and offer up opinions. If they want to change the world they should go into politics or a ministry.

In my own life I have a life long friend and fishing buddy whose political and social views are the complete opposite of mine. The only thing we agree on is that we don't agree on anything. My friend knows my position on all the big issues and controversies, but he tells me that my reporting on these issues reveals absolutely nothing about what my views are.

He knows how I think, but he says he cannot see it in my stories, and I take that as a giant compliment. I work hard to keep my reporting honest and bias free, and I prove every day that it can be done, especially in stories about people and issues I don't personally agree with.

I don't want people to be able to tell what my opinion is, and I do that because I don't think anybody cares what I think about anything. They just want to know what happened and who said what, and they want me to keep my opinions to myself.

Far too many reporters today will tell you they became reporters so they could "change the world", but that's NOT a reporter's job. Any reporter who can't remember that needs to find another line of work and leave the commentary to those who're paid to analyze and offer up opinions. If they want to change the world they should go into politics or a ministry.

So would that also apply to investigative journalists? or war correspondents?

In the early 80's I had the distinct privilege of meeting Margaret Moth, who at that time was working for a local (Houston) TV station as a camerawoman. When we next met up, several years later, her appearance had changed drastically. This remarkable young woman had been shot while covering the conflict in Sarajevo for CNN. Most of her teeth and lower jaw had been blown off, her beautiful face hopelessly scarred for life. Yet, as soon as she was able, she requested to return to the front lines because she thought the story needed to be told. Here's a link to the full story.

I'm also reminded of Nelly Bly, who a century ago had herself committed to an 'insane asylum' so that she could report on the inhuman conditions within. In both of these cases, reporters were indeed determined to 'change the world' - and did.

The point I'm trying to make is that bias is inherent in news gathering, in photography, in just about any human endeavor. By reporting on any subject, the assumption has already been made that this is newsworthy, just as the failure to report suggests the opposite.

I agree that the reporter should avoid bias as much as possible - but it will always be a matter of degree.

There are different levels of reporting.

There are general assignment reporters whose only job is to cover an event and file a story. They're expected to just report what happened and who said what. Nothing more.

There are "beat" reporters who're assigned a specific beat, like police, city hall, the courts, the legislature, Congress, etc. Those reporters are allowed more latitude, because so much of their reporting calls for some level of analysis of the goings-on, and commentary is unavoidable.

Then there are reporters whose only job is to analyze and comment on issues in the news. Their columns are always labeled as "analysis and commentary", so readers know going in that they're going to get a boatload of the writer's opinions.

The kind of reporting you mention with the CNN camerawoman is what's known as "advocacy" reporting, and it's controversial. Advocacy reporters take sides on issues and controversies, and while their reporting does often have good results, it's almost always devoid of objectivity. NPR and Pacifica reporters are infamous for this. They believe they are on the side of the angels.

You get only one side of any given issue from these reporters, and speaking just for myself, I think they do the cause of honest journalism more harm than good. I say that because if an issue or problem is real, and people are being harmed, honest, balanced unbiased reporting will do more to solve the problem than the one-sided and often hysterical reporting from advocacy journalists.

I think it would be very interesting to see Isiah come on here to defend himself and quit hiding behind his Blog that nobody reads.

I think get gets a lot of readers, I am sure we are some of them since I have seen many times topics and breaking local stroies pop up on here from his blog.

He gets a decent amount of comment feedback as well, some of which occured during his post about us, which I believe was a form of his response to this.

Okay, spell it out, what reputation are you refering too, are we dumb, ignorant, racist, all of the above. . .what?

Take a guess.

He posted it on the same day, you lost me here. The blog entry and this thread started December 1st.

That first sentence meant there were those that visit this site and have certain opinions about it due to the increasing numbers of bigoted comments, BEFORE this thread or Isiah Carey's blog on it appeared on December 1. Members of this site expressed their notice of the growing number of certain types of comments appearing here, previous to December 1. I sat in the House of Pies in October and overheard two guys mention this website and some of the comments posted here, BEFORE December 1.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh...what a loss. It was always just a bunch of pictures of mostly black people at parties.

Look jm1fd, Merry Christmas! There is loads more party pics in his blog recently.

Not to bring this back from the grave, but the comment was so sarcastic, yet it is almost true. I digress. . . ;)

Look jm1fd, Merry Christmas! There is loads more party pics in his blog recently.

Not to bring this back from the grave, but the comment was so sarcastic, yet it is almost true. I digress. . . ;)

What's so sad about your comment is that it appears you waited and ignored the Mayor's Christmas party, The Asian Houston Network party and KHOU Doug Miller's 50th birthday party on Isaiah's blog with a mostly white crowd to dig in your claws again. You specifically chose the party with the black council member to resurrect your dead ass and racist issue. I say Isaiah do your thing because it keeps the nit wits coming back every day.

What's so sad about your comment is that it appears you waited and ignored the Mayor's Christmas party, The Asian Houston Network party and KHOU Doug Miller's 50th birthday party on Isaiah's blog with a mostly white crowd to dig in your claws again. You specifically chose the party with the black council member to resurrect your dead ass and racist issue. I say Isaiah do your thing because it keeps the nit wits coming back every day.

My comment was not racist, you just turned it into one with your assumption. You should be more secure about yourself and your post before you judge. As some other people on the board may say, lighten up, it was all in fun, I was not trying to offend anyone.

Oh and btw, welcome to HAIF. :P

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dude, this is SO sad! Check out what Isiah still had in his house this week!

christmastree.jpg

It is the middle of February!

That is worse than those damn people who leave those tacky icicle light on the roof year round.

And I thought that our anniversary banner was long over due.

Don't feel bad Isiah my grandma had her tree up for 15 years but it was in the guest room that nobody ever went into but me. It felt kinda funny getting out of bed in the middle of summer in 1986 and seeing a Christmas Tree. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Not the Happy Feet Dances....just looking at the blog and seeing the events he's at it's not places where I would probably hang out because some of those are faker than $3 bill...

I knew Priscilla Slade at TSU as as fake as they come but she would go to these events smiling and stuff and people fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Those are not the only parties full of fakes. I have been lucky to go with someone to a few hoi-poloi parties, and leave scratching my head how these local news people fail to engage people who are their viewers and the supporters of their advertisers, etc. I think news people cling to the "4th largest market" thing about Houston and fail to look around at this town, or themselves. thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Marty
if i didn't know better, the tone of your comment(s) would seem to imply some things about your preferences regarding cultural differences.....

^^^^^^

I think it would be very interesting to see Isiah come on here to defend himself and quit hiding behind his Blog that nobody reads.

Never mind he's already a member.

• 1 month later...
Hmmm.... from this photo found at his blog, I didn't know Galveston had hilly terrain, as evidenced in the background here. :P

BEACHWEEK1.jpg

Looks like he just found some stock photos of blacks having picnics from Google image search or something.

Good observation. (I did not realize the mountain/hill in the center photo either)

Yeah, he does paint Galveston as Vidor #2. As a Galvestonian, this bothers me. Aren't most of those hotels, restaurants, and shops on Blvd. owned by wealthy Houston suburanites anyhow? Somehow, Galvestonians get the bad rap for beach party closures.

Archived