Houston Steals Our Tax Money

mrfootball

http://www.hcnonline.com/site/news.cfm?new...32256&rfi=6

Per Houston City Councilwoman Tony Lawrence:

"Many times, 1960 has been forgotten, especially in the Willowbrook area," Lawrence said. "We are still in the process to work with the mall, the owners of this area, to get a constable, sheriff and HPD station out here."

Houston didn't want to annex the residential areas due to the political implications that would alter the demographic landscape of the City of Houston (a la Kingwood annexation), instead they annexed strips of land to take in our tax money, while returning none of it to the area.

More reason for the NW Harris County area to seek self-rule.

Well, where to the majority of people work? Houston... so as Niche said (something along the lines of), "while you may not live in Houston, your using its services" so is it fair to not give money to houston, but use up their services? No... thats why they annex/tax big commercial properties.

Well, where to the majority of people work? Houston... so as Niche said (something along the lines of), "while you may not live in Houston, your using its services" so is it fair to not give money to houston, but use up their services? No... thats why they annex/tax big commercial properties.

I think that that phrase came from someone else responding to me at some point.

Montrose, the point evidently escaped you...you seemed to have completely missed it.

Houston doesn't want to annex the residential areas because it would provide an administrative nightmare for them, so instead they annex the commercial areas around those residential areas. Still, it is up to Houston to provide needed support services, Police, Fire, EMS, etc to this 'donor' area in exchange for the millions in tax revenue we provide to the city. They aren't providing these services adequately, and the Councilwoman admitted this.

All of this leaves the area in limbo....Houston doesn't want to annex, but also doesn't want to fulfill its duty to serve the area it rapes for tax money....Houston won't allow area residents to enjoy the right of self-government which would enable them to organize and incorporate...even if they could, they would be bereft of their major tax generators (ie. shopping/commercial zones) which have already been sucked up for Houston.

Houston is depriving people of their ability to govern themselves and stealing our tax money.

The Boston Tea Party was thrown over as much.

Houston is depriving people of their ability to govern themselves and stealing our tax money.

Take it up with the state. Houston can't change the law. Didn't the councilwoman bring that up?

I didn't think so.

Montrose, the point evidently escaped you...you seemed to have completely missed it.

Houston doesn't want to annex the residential areas because it would provide an administrative nightmare for them, so instead they annex the commercial areas around those residential areas. Still, it is up to Houston to provide needed support services, Police, Fire, EMS, etc to this 'donor' area in exchange for the millions in tax revenue we provide to the city. They aren't providing these services adequately, and the Councilwoman admitted this.

All of this leaves the area in limbo....Houston doesn't want to annex, but also doesn't want to fulfill its duty to serve the area it rapes for tax money....Houston won't allow area residents to enjoy the right of self-government which would enable them to organize and incorporate...even if they could, they would be bereft of their major tax generators (ie. shopping/commercial zones) which have already been sucked up for Houston.

The situation is far from ideal, but I think that you're being a bit overdramatic.

Perhaps.

I'd like to see this area incorporate itself. It was fine when it was a sleepy suburb, but now its grown to the point that I think it needs to be incorporated.

I think they'd do a better job of governing themselves than Houston could ever hope to. The councilwoman's comments just reinforced this concern.

Perhaps.

I'd like to see this area incorporate itself. I think they'd do a better job of governing themselves than Houston could.

The area used to be incorporated, or at least some of it, anyway. As I recall, Cypress disbanded in the early 90's. I don't know why, do you? Has there been a significant movement to try and reincorporate? One that has gone before Houston City Council and asked for permission?

Cypress (proper) unincorporated back in 1989. I've no idea why, but back then there were only 200 or so residents, today there are around 70,000+ residents in the 77429 zip code alone. The area has grown tremendously since 1989 and I doubt it would do the same if given that choice over again.

As far as any grassroots movement to re-incorporate?

My cul-de-sac is organizing.... ;)

As far as any grassroots movement to re-incorporate?

My cul-de-sac is organizing.... ;)

Well before you continue bitching an moaning, organize further and then take it before the Houston city council. See what they say.

Overly-dramatic posturing is the second resort in local politics, not the first. If you go there expecting a fight, after all, that's probably what you'll get...a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I must've thought this was an internet message forum. Didn't realize this was the council chamber, Niche.

Any attempt to do such a thing requires further study, and research into the legalities of such a proposal and then of course, public support.

I'd like to get more information on the communities that were grandfathered into Houston's existing ETJ laws...did that include Cypress which was an incorporated area at the time it was written? Can Cypress re-incorporate if its so inclined?

I'm not the attorney (my wife is)...I'd like to know where to begin looking for this info.

I must've thought this was an internet message forum. Didn't realize this was the council chamber, Niche.

Yeah, a forum read by your future constituencies and various members of the press...

It is easier to create a credible movement after you've taken a humble yet assertive approach and been unreasonably spurned by politicians than it is to flail your hands in the air and scream from the top of your lungs, then get spurned. One comes across as a thoughtful, responsible, and concerned citizen. The other comes across as nmainguy.

EDIT: Did I just say that? :o

I think that that phrase came from someone else responding to me at some point.

I could have sworn all the wisdom i've collected from this site came from you... :blush::ph34r:

Mr. Football - Houston isn't the issue. Harris County is. Harris County should police the area... And Houston can chose to police its' city with Houston or Harris County officers.

I think...

http://www.hcnonline.com/site/news.cfm?new...32256&rfi=6

Per Houston City Councilwoman Tony Lawrence:

"Many times, 1960 has been forgotten, especially in the Willowbrook area," Lawrence said. "We are still in the process to work with the mall, the owners of this area, to get a constable, sheriff and HPD station out here."

Houston didn't want to annex the residential areas due to the political implications that would alter the demographic landscape of the City of Houston (a la Kingwood annexation), instead they annexed strips of land to take in our tax money, while returning none of it to the area.

More reason for the NW Harris County area to seek self-rule.

is she a new councilwoman? i am not familiar with her name?

she seems to be raising a lot of ruckus all of a sudden.

what's up with that?

• 1 month later...

My storm drains ( Birnam Wood) says the city of Houston that because the city installed them in 1970's that the only thing the city has done for my subdivision.

Near Old Humble Road and Greens Road there is a sign"

"Paid City of Houston Taxes - 29 Years - Still No Sewer Service".

I need to take a picture.

East of 59 has been in despeir for decades most of the water wells are only 80 feet deep.

Near Old Humble Road and Greens Road there is a sign"

"Paid City of Houston Taxes - 29 Years - Still No Sewer Service".

I need to take a picture.

i know my parents neighborhood was incorporated during the 50's... they had wells and dirt streets til the 80's. so don't feel alone

i know my parents neighborhood was incorporated during the 50's... they had wells and dirt streets til the 80's. so don't feel alone

That's why the builder's have to put in these things. CoH doesn't want to annex any more areas without sewer, paved roads, and other utilities.

Any attempt to do such a thing requires further study, and research into the legalities of such a proposal and then of course, public support.

I'd like to get more information on the communities that were grandfathered into Houston's existing ETJ laws...did that include Cypress which was an incorporated area at the time it was written? Can Cypress re-incorporate if it is so inclined?

I'm not the attorney (my wife is)...I'd like to know where to begin looking for this info.

The area in Cypress that unincorporated was not all of 77429, but a small area near 290 and Cypress Rosehill. Also, due to the fact that the entire area is now in the ETJ, no areas inside the area would be able to incorporate with out council and probably state legislative action. Also, he act of incorporation would require a vote of any land owners within its boundaries, and all incorporation documents would also require state legislative action, which would require a substantial amount of information since incorporation would entitle the entity to levy taxes, no small thing. Also, if there are any MUD's or other such entities in the area of incorporation, they too would have to be included in any proceedings, and that included all of there debt! Plus, getting two neighboring residential MUD boards to agree to something is next to impossible!

So in summary, you are looking at a huge endeavor requiring substantial amounts of time and money!

Finally, there was a ballot measure to creating a taxing region in the Cypress area about two years ago that meet with an overwhelming defeat. I do not know all the history on it, or its true intentions, but it sounded at the time as if it was one of the early steps to incorporation, or at least a type of TIRZ in the ETJ

Finally, there was a ballot measure to creating a taxing region in the Cypress area about two years ago that meet with an overwhelming defeat.

I wouldn't call 52-48 that overwhelming, more like a near miss.

That was the only time they tried it and it was that close (per Cy-Fair Chamber president Darcy Mingoia). Things like this usually take a few tries. I'm really surprised the effort was dropped. I'd like to see it picked up again as it nearly passed the first time. With a little better information and publicity, I think it could be a reality.

Archived