Your Game Console of Choice

Next Generation Game Systems  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you support/own?

• Microsoft - Xbox 360/Xbox
    • Sony - PlayStation 3/PlayStation 2/PlayStation Portable
    • Nintendo - Wii/Gamecube/DS

I haven't played PS3 or Xbox 360, but if I was going to get a console, I would go for the PS3. The reason is because of the upgrades.

Every month or so Sony comes out with free upgrades that expand the capabilities and add new features to the PS3. Microsoft lags waaaay behind in this on the XBox 360. What it says to me is that Sony plans to support and make new titles for the PS3 long after Microsoft has EOLed the 360 and forced everyone to upgrade. Again. (That's a Windows slam, not a specific 360 slam.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The past 3 days, pretty much all the tech blogs revealed the $299 price for the 20 GB Xbox 360 starts Sunday July 13th, right before the Microsoft press conference at E3 the following day.

Note, this is likely a clearance sale, rather than a real price drop since the Arcade model and Elite model are not mentioned and still will retain the $279 and $449 price points.

They also mentioned that a 60 GB version in of the Xbox 360 in August will ultimately replace the 20 GB, hence the price drop to liquidate the 20 GB models off the shelves.

If you want some cheap Xbox 360's with a hard drive, wait until this Sunday.

Target has the best deal, as they also throw in a $25 gift card too with the $299 20 GB Xbox 360 model, kinda making it cheaper than the Arcade.

But, if you want a REAL game/media system, just get a PlayStation 3! :lol:

Could we put the kibosh on Mr. Thread Molester's topic changing? He has changed the topic of a thread discussing the PS3 for pages upon pages to now reflect a the totally different topic of the Xbox.

He has changed the topic of a thread discussing the PS3 for pages upon pages to now reflect a the totally different topic of the Xbox.

I change the heading to make sure my post is somewhat on topic. PS3 has been out for almost 2 years since the topic started, I own it now, as such, the original topic is not pertinent anymore. Creating a new topic for each tech item or price change is useless and just floods the boards. We have two iPhone threads because one is Edge and the other is 3G, does it matter that much?. . . :rolleyes: PM a mod if you have an issue.

I am sure other people who either want to get an Xbox 360 for themselves or as a gift appreciate it knowing it's going to be $50 cheaper this weekend. Those that bought it within the past month can also get a price adjustment and a $50 refund.

targetxbox360drop.jpg

Just say "thank you" and move on to another topic. <_<

We had a contest at work where we are awarding a Nintendo Wii. But oddly, they are SOLD OUT everywhere. Have any idea where we can get one?

There are tons of Wii locater sites.

Craigslists is good too, that is where I bought my PS3 on the cheap from.

Look at Cheapassgamer too for Sunday ad weekly summary updates from the big 4 (Best Buy/Circuit City/Walmart/Target)

I love my 360. Better games, period. Blu-ray means nothing to me since I can download HD content directly and if the rumours are true that Microsoft is in talks to stream the Netflix library on Xbox, so much the better. No one can argue the power of the PS2, but Sony missed the ball bigtime with the PS3.

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/NewsStory.aspx?story=79163

I change the heading to make sure my post is somewhat on topic. PS3 has been out for almost 2 years since the topic started, I own it now, as such, the original topic is not pertinent anymore.

Ah...so the original discussion isn't pertinent to you anymore, therefore it has no historic value because the universe revolves around you?

Creating a new topic for each tech item or price change is useless and just floods the boards. We have two iPhone threads because one is Edge and the other is 3G, does it matter that much?. . . :rolleyes: PM a mod if you have an issue.

I agree, it is useless and floods the boards....so why don't you quit posting stuff about technology on an architecture forum?

Sony will look to recoup losses on sales of consoles and software. Currently PS3s are on sale for between US$500 and US$700, depending on which games the retailer has bundled with the console.

Why even mention bundled pricing anymore. It's not hard to find a stand alone PS3 on store shelves, nor is it around the holidays. Just say $400-$500.

Why don't you quit posting stuff about technology on an architecture forum?

Check the sub-forum

For member #62, you don't know your way around HAIF very well.

Why even mention bundled pricing anymore. It's not hard to find a stand alone PS3 on store shelves, nor is it around the holidays. Just say $400-$500.

Check the sub-forum

For member #62, you don't know your way around HAIF very well.

Yeah, it's not just for architecture any more.

We had a contest at work where we are awarding a Nintendo Wii. But oddly, they are SOLD OUT everywhere. Have any idea where we can get one?

That's not odd - they've been like that since they were first released. It's getting a little better lately. You'll have to either pay a premium to buy one from a scalper or stand in line some Sunday morning at Best Buy. You can get one that way (I did), but it requires effort.

It isn't just the console. A few weeks ago, both Mario Kart and Wii Fit were sold out everywhere. It took a lot of hunting and luck to find those.

That's not odd - they've been like that since they were first released. It's getting a little better lately. You'll have to either pay a premium to buy one from a scalper or stand in line some Sunday morning at Best Buy. You can get one that way (I did), but it requires effort.

It isn't just the console. A few weeks ago, both Mario Kart and Wii Fit were sold out everywhere. It took a lot of hunting and luck to find those.

I heard part of the shortage is due to the value of the dollar. Nintendo is redirecting the game consoles to countries with stronger currencies (why sell 1,000,000 for a declining dollar value?).

But thanks ... I am not at work this week, but they found and bought one ... in Louisiana.

I heard part of the shortage is due to the value of the dollar. Nintendo is redirecting the game consoles to countries with stronger currencies (why sell 1,000,000 for a declining dollar value?).

I think that only applies to the Wii Fit. The console itself is shipping to the US in larger number than to Europe. Even with the weak dollar, they still turn a profit on the console in the US (3x more than they do in Japan, but 1/2 what they do in Europe). The real source for the shortage is Nintendo doesn't want to be left with empty production lines when demand drops off.

All E3 press conferences are done, and the only new major hardware news was a new SKU for the PlayStation 3.

This is not replacing the currently 80 GB MGS bundle, rather replacing the 40 GB model that has no PS2 backwards compatibility and only 2 USB ports rather than 4. But it does include the new Dual Shock 3 controller.

img_3176.jpg

So if you intended on purchasing a 40 GB PS3 soon, wait until September and you get twice HDD space and the new rumble controller at the same price that the 40 GB version is retailing for today.

No additional info was released on the current status of the 80 GB bundle, but I would expect a HDD increase announced probably before Black Friday.

Updated info on current bundle.

No new SKU was announced, and the 40 GB SKU will be phased out, so it seems that Sony is likely moving back to a one-version console market. Unfortunately, the company did not make any comment on backwards compatibility, which is a key concern for buyers.

...or you could just buy an Xbox 360 that has better games, more downloadable content, and confirmed as of yesterday an agreement in place with Netflix to stream their library to the 360. As a previous purchaser of multiple systems, I would have no problems doing so if the PS3 actually had some decent games. But they don't. The blu-ray aspect is enticing, but not enough for me to make the purchase, especially with the HD content available via download. Nope, as of now there is nothing that makes the PS3 a must-have system for me.

...or you could just buy an Xbox 360 that has better games, more downloadable content, and confirmed as of yesterday an agreement in place with Netflix to stream their library to the 360. As a previous purchaser of multiple systems, I would have no problems doing so if the PS3 actually had some decent games. But they don't. The blu-ray aspect is enticing, but not enough for me to make the purchase, especially with the HD content available via download. Nope, as of now there is nothing that makes the PS3 a must-have system for me.

Word.

Sony failed today. MS has been doing great and took away major titles from Sony.

The 360 is this generation's PS2. Something for hardcore and casual/mainstream gamers.

Word.

Sony failed today. MS has been doing great and took away major titles from Sony.

The 360 is this generation's PS2. Something for hardcore and casual/mainstream gamers.

Not really. By the looks of it nothing will be this generation's PS2. The Wii will have the sales, but it doesn't look like it will have the third party support. The 360 is getting a fair amount of games, but there are only a handful of games worth playing you can't get on PS3 or PC. This is one of the few generations you can get something from each system. Wii: casual games as well as first party games. There will probably be more Japanese support in the coming years, but Western third parties don't seem keen on putting big games on it. 360: PC ports, and it is looking like RPG's. PS3: Sony games and some Japanese games (Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea 3, MGS4, etc).

Ummm... name 5 top selling games the 360 has that the PS3 doesn't - besides Halo of course.

360 had a head start, it will always have more of anything because of the extra time, that and the online service was robust in the previous generation too.

But 3 years from now, 360 will be on the way out, whereas that same investment in the PS3 will be at it's peak.

Remember Xbox was primarily active 2001-2006 (and that's being generous) or 5 years.

Playstation 2 is active 2000 - present and could go on for another 2 years.

Xbox 360 is already pushing the system's limits now, and it is midway through it's life cycle. With Microsoft's blunt abandonment of the previous generation, I don't expect Xbox 360 to be around past 2010 as I am sure the next system will again cause all resources to move away from this generation.

PS3 will dominate, good games are here, and more on the horizon. PS3 is the best bang for your buck.

Ummm... name 5 top selling games the 360 has that the PS3 doesn't - besides Halo of course.

Saints Row

Gears of War 1 and 2

Mass Effect

Lost Odyssey

Forza Motorsports 1,2

Project Gotham Racing 1,2,3,4

Dead Rising

Ace Combat 6

Fable 2

Resident Evil 5

...not to mention the exclusive add-on scenarios for games like Fallout3 and GTA4 that will only be available on the 360. Although in fairness, I'm not much into the added levels.

And lets not forget the biggest console RPG series that has long claimed solidarity on the PS consoles, is no more. The announcement at E3 that the next Final Fantasy chapter will be released on the 360 simultaneously as the PS3 shocked many and (in my opinion) solidifies the thought that developers have about supporting a single system that doesn't have the fan base to carry any one title towards profitability. Face it, its all about money. My guess is if the PS3 had enough fans out there, Square Enix wouldn't have to publish to the 360.

Xbox 360 is already pushing the system's limits now

Hardly. Look at the quality of games still coming out for the PS2 or those that came out at the end of the PS1. Its more about programming efficiency than a 'systems limit'. I've played crappy games with jagged graphics and a low frame rate on the 360, and then there's some truly gorgeous ones out there like Mass Effect or Gears of War that show no sign of system limitations. Its all about the programmers and how efficiently they build the engine and write the code.

No new SKU was announced, and the 40 GB SKU will be phased out, so it seems that Sony is likely moving back to a one-version console market. Unfortunately, the company did not make any comment on backwards compatibility, which is a key concern for buyers.

From Gamespot.

First, the $399 model will soon be the only one offered by Sony in North America, with all other models--including the 40GB bare-bones model and the Metal Gear Solid 4 $499 80GB DualShock 3 bundle--being phased out. Dille said Sony has already ceased shipping the 40GB to stores, and is letting the remaining stock of the console clear itself out of the retail channel.

BC is 100% gone, unless a software emulation patch is later introduced

40 GB SKU's are not be manufactured anymore, and all units have shipped already.

80 GB SKU is going to be the ONLY PS3 model after the currently 80 GB BC enabled bundle is cleared.

From Sony's E3 presentation yesterday.

It's better than MS Powerpoint.

This presentation was created within the level editor of the game, custom boss battles are shown in other videos.

Sorry, but Xbomb 360 has nothing unique like this. They just copy, rather than innovate. Their Fall dashboard update is an Apple TV Coverflow ripoff and there Avatars look like refined Nintendo Miis.

Just like Sony's new movie/TV feature is a copy off what MS did two years ago.

I think that is more of an added feature that was intented from the beginning, as Europe and Korea got that or some DVR features a while back. PS3 was always advertised as a media center and gaming system from the start, the HDD being standard and easy (and cheap) HDD capacity upgrades available. It just took them a while to roll the Movie/TV service out.

The Xbox Avatars is totally unexpected, (as was Sony's late introduction of a trophy system to Xbox Achievements)

But having Ninendo Mii's in 2006, then Sony Home Avatars in 2007, and now Xbox Community Avatars 2008, almost 3 years after the launch. . .that is a bit late and seems like a tacked on afterthought of a "me too" party. :rolleyes:

And the dashboard update, it is just too similar to Apple TV.

PS3 was always advertised as a media center

And the dashboard update, it is just too similar to Apple TV.

So was the 360. From launch, its been compatible with the Windows Media Center edition, so I can take advantage of the wireless connection by accessing all of the files on my desktop. Music, photos, movies, tv shows, dvds, all sent wirelessly to my 360, not to mention the live video chat I can have with friends that live outside the country and not have any long distance phone bill.

Microsoft does 2 major dashboard updates a year, spring and fall. The fall one is really big this time because they have to design around Netflix now.

Idea 'theft' is not new though. You think the motion-sensitive Wii is unique? Puh-leeze. I had a motion sensing control on my PS1. Hollywood studios have been thieving ideas from each other forever. Coincidence that Volcano and Dantes Peak came out the same time? I think not.

BC is 100% gone, unless a software emulation patch is later introduced.

Nope, that's it.

PS3

On backwards compatibility: Jack explained that Sony looked at how to "not take a greater hit on production cost, without losing PlayStation's heritage ... Hardware / software for backwards compat wasn't all that expensive. ... but we're selling PS2 software to PS2 customers, and selling PS3 software to PS3 consumers." Still, Jack seems to feel like it may have been the wrong move. "I would like to have had it in there, but Sony's collective strategy determined we could afford to lose it. We've now gone down that road, and we're not going back."

Boo! :angry:

So we have 2006/2007 PlayStation 3 systems with 100% PS3/PS2/PS1 software compatibility

Then we have 2007/2008 PlayStation 3 systems with 100% PS3/PS1 software compatibility and 70% PS2 software compatibility

and now 2008 and on PlayStation 3 systems with 100% PS3/PS1 software compatibility but 0% PS2 software compatibility

I am disappointed that future systems are less versatile. <_<

Saints Row

Gears of War 1 and 2

Mass Effect

Lost Odyssey

Forza Motorsports 1,2

Project Gotham Racing 1,2,3,4

Dead Rising

Ace Combat 6

Fable 2

Resident Evil 5

Wow, this is really stretching. Forza 1 was on xbox. As were PGR 1 and 2. Fable 2 isn't out. Gears of War 2 isn't out. Resident Evil 5 is on PS3, and isn't out. And I wouldn't really put AC6 and Lost Odyssey as top sellers.

Wow, this is really stretching. Forza 1 was on xbox. As were PGR 1 and 2. Fable 2 isn't out. Gears of War 2 isn't out. Resident Evil 5 is on PS3, and isn't out. And I wouldn't really put AC6 and Lost Odyssey as top sellers.

The point is, 360>>PS3. :D

Archived