Watch out for these cameras!

pineda

interesting perspective on red light cameras

I guess I'm just being too cynical here. I'm sure Mayor White has my best interests at heart...

Well, Pineda, I can see your point with your quote there. I guess you just have to trust those who "we the people" put in office to make sure they are putting our well-being first, and not THEIR pocketbooks. Maybe we could get Carol Alvarado to oversee the red-light program ? :blink:;)

Edited by TJones

I am not in the habit of running red lights, however we have all gone through yellow lights. Now when the front of my car goes through a yellow light but the tail end of my car is caught in the intersection in that second it turns red, will I get a $75.00 ticket? And is that fair? Am I mistaken in being under the impression certain intersection (Gessner at Beechnut is what I saw on a news broadcast) cameras will be able to be controlled by officers in a central command type building? Will they change the traffic light to "catch" more cars when more money is needed? Will I be able to dispute that officer in court? THAT is what there is to "get used to".

With the systems I have seen, there is a sensor immediately in front of the stop bar. You have to cross that sensor AFTER the light turns red (i.e. you have to enter the intersection on red) to be issued a citiation. A police officer reviews each photo to determine that a violation has occured. You are also sent this photo with your citation and are free to challenge it in a hearing.

I haven't seen anything about linking the cameras to a central command, but that's certainly possible (maybe they will be linked to Transstar somehow). However, I sincerely doubt that a police officer would be given control over timing of the intersection. That would be like NASA letting you and I fly the space shuttle.

Well we at least are on the same page about something with regard to the both of us realizing "the whole thing" is NOT about public safety as city officials are claiming it is.

My reference to "the whole thing" was in regards to the transportation system as a whole, not red light cameras.

New Camera at Chimney Rock and 59S feeder........

SO how does this work.........?

The entrance to 59S at Chimney Rock gets very backed up at rush hour.........When the light turns red, there are always 2-3 cars stuck in the middle of the intersection.......

Do these cars all get tickets? If so, that is 2-3 cars every light from 4:30 to 6:00 pm.......wow....that is lots of revenue........

The entrance to 59S at Chimney Rock gets very backed up at rush hour.........When the light turns red, there are always 2-3 cars stuck in the middle of the intersection.......

Do these cars all get tickets? If so, that is 2-3 cars every light from 4:30 to 6:00 pm.......wow....that is lots of revenue........

Again.... you have to ENTER the intersection (cross the stop line) after the light turns red. If you're already there, the system isn't going to catch you.

But those drivers are breaking the law and if a police officer were there, they'd deserve to be cited.

They should get tickets, they knew when they got into the intersection that they couldn't get all the way across. That is called "gridlock" in the true sense of the word. Gridlock is about the worst type of congestion on city streets.

Please people, don't cross an intersection unless there is room for your car on the other side!

i don't like these cameras. i am not one for blowng red lights but at least when i cop writes you a ticket, you can dispute it. you can't with "tickets" mailed to you by these things.

Yes, you can.

But really, if you get a citation, you aren't going to have much to dispute, seeing as how you're going to be receiving a photo with your car in the intersection with the light red. Good luck.

They should get tickets, they knew when they got into the intersection that they couldn't get all the way across. That is called "gridlock" in the true sense of the word. Gridlock is about the worst type of congestion on city streets.

Please people, don't cross an intersection unless there is room for your car on the other side!

It's not always that "black and white" of a situation. I think that is a issue with the whole thing. A lot of these situations aren't as simple as, "well just don't run red lights".

It's not always that "black and white" of a situation. I think that is a issue with the whole thing. A lot of these situations aren't as simple as, "well just don't run red lights".

Again, "these things" won't give you a citation in that situation.

Again.... you have to ENTER the intersection (cross the stop line) after the light turns red. If you're already there, the system isn't going to catch you.

But those drivers are breaking the law and if a police officer were there, they'd deserve to be cited.

And we know this is true how?

They are starting out with the deception that this is for Public Safety and Public Safety only. That alone says a lot. When money is to be made I don't put anything past anyone and the same is true here.

By the way, I wonder if they are planning on adding the intersection of Westheimer and Post Oak to the list of camera locations? Why wasn't it one of the first locations to get one?

And we know this is true how?

They are starting out with the deception that this is for Public Safety and Public Safety only. That alone says a lot. When money is to be made I don't put anything past anyone and the same is true here.

By the way, I wonder if they are planning on adding the intersection of Westheimer and Post Oak to the list of camera locations? Why wasn't it one of the first locations to get one?

I drive a car in Houston. I also own a house in Houston. I have no problem whatsoever with the City making revenue from those who run stop lights. I hope they make much more revenue than they suggested. Since stop light runners cause accidents, which cause police and ambulance crews to be dispatched, they cost the city, and therefore me, money. Many times, the injured are treated at County hospitals, again costing me money.

It is common practice in the criminal courts to fine defendants convicted of crimes. The fines help finance the running of the courts. I see no reason not to do the same with stop light runners. As a defense attorney, I certainly understand the concern about the workings of the system. But, I have those same concerns about FAR bigger situations than a $75 non-criminal traffic citation. I wish people would express the same level of concern about putting innocent men to death as they have about a $75 ticket.

Because I've chosen to educate myself on the system before making statements for the whole world to see. B)

Well would you be so kind as to show the uneducated where you received your education? Did it come from the same source that said these cameras are for public safety? Did this same source dismiss lengthening yellow lights? Did this same source even consider warning signs at the high risk intersections in the city to warn drivers about the high rate of red light runners before settling on traffic cameras? Did this source support the $75 fee because the $75 fee the city was to receive via "Safe Clear" did not pan out the way they initially planned?

Also, will some express their opinions on why the intersection of Wesheimer and Post Oak has not been fitted with a camera? It clearly can't be because of a low rate of red light runners? If I were to support a camera it would be at that intersection.

In Amsterdam ( among others) there are sections on the freeways with sensors that check to see if one makes it from point A to point B in less than a given time (based on speed limit obviously). If you make it to point B too soon...you get da TICKET!!! Wait till that crap makes it to the US. Redscare will be in HEAVEN with all that revenue!!!!

Edited by MiDTOWNeR