Washington Avenue More Urban Than Midtown

citykid09

...besides which, I've already stated several times now: once you get to Washington Avenue, you can catch the bus and go all up or down the corridor, accessing the majority of businesses in the area without being on foot. Since you aren't walking at that point, walkable distances no longer act as a barrier.

Yea, except they won't ride the bus. I know people who wax poetically about transit and density and pedestrian-oriented this and that, and they will get on a train that stops at every corner, but they won't ride a bus. Why is that?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea, except they won't ride the bus. I know people who wax poetically about transit and density and pedestrian-oriented this and that, and they will get on a train that stops at every corner, but they won't ride a bus. Why is that?

Dammit crunch, you just had to go and be the seagull that ate the bait. I was waiting for one of those rabid urbanistas to try and indelicately tip-toe around this.

Long term, there'll be light rail along this corridor connecting the stub of the Southeast Line to the terminus of the Uptown Line at the Northwest Transit Center. Hopefully it'll be along Center Street so as not to kill the Washington Avenue traffic count.

• 1 month later...

Late arrival on this topic...

I think the comparisons to FM1960 are rather poor.

The street closest in existence to what Washington Ave could be is South Congress in Austin.

Both are multi-lane sprawls, but despite this South Congress has managed to develop a hefty amount of pedestrian traffic due to the influx of shops, bars, restaurants, boutique hotels, and other "renewal" type items.

It's been awhile since I've driven down Washington so I was even more surprised at the growth. They have a new Benjy's opening soon!

Despite the fact that Midtown has an organized redevelopment org and management district the only thing we have been able to attract is SRO Housing via Beyonce and a free clinic (San Jose) to the already plentiful likes of Search, MHMRA, etc..Oh, and did I mention that the Midtown Management District board is being stuffed full of employees and directors of these vary same non-tax paying social service agencies? Wake up Midtown residents! One wonders if the present status quo would rather turn back the clock on Midtown's "progress" and diverse demographic appeal.

Despite the fact that Midtown has an organized redevelopment org and management district the only thing we have been able to attract is SRO Housing via Beyonce and a free clinic (San Jose) to the already plentiful likes of Search, MHMRA, etc..Oh, and did I mention that the Midtown Management District board is being stuffed full of employees and directors of these vary same non-tax paying social service agencies? Wake up Midtown residents! One wonders if the present status quo would rather turn back the clock on Midtown's "progress" and diverse demographic appeal.

Not sure what you are talking about. The San Jose Clinic turning an empty lot into a multi-million dollar building seems like progress to me. The build out of a new upscale restaurant under 24 Hour fitness seems like progress too. How about Camden starting the process of building out the center of Midtown? Also, who are the people you are referring to on the board (please send PM)?

• 2 weeks later...
The San Jose Clinic turning an empty lot into a multi-million dollar building seems like progress to me.

You do realize that the San Jose will be predominantly a Free Clinic. Oh, rest assure they offer for-pay services so we have been told. (most likely in the hope that this will somehow diminish the fact that this is a Free Clinic.)

You bet there is a stigma surrounding Free Clinics, and that stigma is grounded in reality.

I've spoken with more than a few law enforcement personnel about the San Jose clinic and they all shake their head at what it's going to do to the neighborhood.

Where are the leaders of Midtown? What happened to the "Organized" and "Managed" institutions that were tasked with bringing new business into Midtown and revitalizing what had decayed? I drive down Washington Avenue and I see new businesses opening right and left regardless of the economy. What I don't see is Free Clinics popping up in an area that is being revitalized. Yes there are new businesses popping up in Midtown, but it's at a slower pace, and it is with much caution. There is a great deal of "wait and see" in Midtown surrounding such areas as the superblock, Main St, property surrounding the Greyhound station and so on. Free Clinics such as the San Jose drastically impact and limit the plans of both residential builders and new businesses. Suddenly it becomes a much greater risk building spec properties when this type of institution is built. Developers are very hesitant to make significant capital investments if there is little to prevent a nuisance business from popping up next door. While some may point to zoning as the answer I'm afraid that due to the already plentiful numbers of social service agencies in Midtown, we just might become THE social services Zone. I am rather tired of all these tax-exempt social-service agencies in Midtown contributing to the need for greater policing costs yet contributing nothing in return.

Beyond expressing my opinion on this forum I intend to ask those tasked with "managing and re-developing" Midtown to represent the best interests of the very individuals they take money from. I suggest others paying Midtown assessments do the same. I would also suggest looking at who is on the various Midtown boards and how they are connected to Midtown. It may prove to be very eye-opening experience.

Beyond expressing my opinion on this forum I intend to ask those tasked with "managing and re-developing" Midtown to represent the best interests of the very individuals they take money from. I suggest others paying Midtown assessments do the same. I would also suggest looking at who is on the various Midtown boards and how they are connected to Midtown. It may prove to be very eye-opening experience.

I strongly suggest you investigate Garnet Coleman, in particular. He is something of a cancer on Midtown.

Late arrival on this topic...

I think the comparisons to FM1960 are rather poor.

The street closest in existence to what Washington Ave could be is South Congress in Austin.

Both are multi-lane sprawls, but despite this South Congress has managed to develop a hefty amount of pedestrian traffic due to the influx of shops, bars, restaurants, boutique hotels, and other "renewal" type items.

It's been awhile since I've driven down Washington so I was even more surprised at the growth. They have a new Benjy's opening soon!

You mean they are trying to take back what was theirs to begin with? Darn those folks.

Seriously, can you blame "them"?

Not sure what you are talking about. The San Jose Clinic turning an empty lot into a multi-million dollar building seems like progress to me.

i guess all the money fu kim put into the building that was there was wasted. they disappeared relatively quickly.

I strongly suggest you investigate Garnet Coleman, in particular. He is something of a cancer on Midtown.

Thank you for posting the link to the story on Garnet. This more than confirms what I have been saying. I want diversity in my neighborhood, versus domination by a single group. Garnet appears to be lost in time and locked into a very narrow viewpoint that a neighborhood is either a white, black, Vietnamese, Hispanic, Jewish, or etc neighborhood. He is failing to see that neighborhoods come and go and often make radical changes with the times. If I were to publicly state that I want a particular neighborhood to remain all Asian, all Hispanic, or all white I would be branded as a racist. How is it that an elected public official can say that he wants to keep an area black and remain in office?

His statement: "You can tell a neighborhood's turning,

I'm curious, though. What can anyone do to stop any particular business from moving in? Even if our TIRZ wanted to prevent the clinic from moving in... what can they legally do? Without zoning, aren't we pretty much powerless?

I'm curious, though. What can anyone do to stop any particular business from moving in? Even if our TIRZ wanted to prevent the clinic from moving in... what can they legally do? Without zoning, aren't we pretty much powerless?

residents can to protest permits.....i've seen that with a couple of bars.

So if I am understanding this correctly, $10 million of my tax dollars (not the Midtown assessment) that are supposed to be spent to improve Midtown as established by the Midtown TIRZ are being used to pursue a racist-megalomaniac politicians' personal vendetta against developers in an areas outside of Midtown?

This is all starting to make sense in ways that were beyond what I thought were possible.

I looked up info about TIRZ's and found this on the city website...

State law requires that zones created by petition within counties of more than 3.3 million in population setaside one third of the increment generated during the term of the zone to provide low-income housing. This housing can occur anywhere within the city limits, and is not restrictive to the zone.

Midtown was created by petition, and my guess (I repeat GUESS) is that they are able to buy that land because of state law. Here is the link

You do realize that the San Jose will be predominantly a Free Clinic. Oh, rest assure they offer for-pay services so we have been told. (most likely in the hope that this will somehow diminish the fact that this is a Free Clinic.)

You bet there is a stigma surrounding Free Clinics, and that stigma is grounded in reality.

I've spoken with more than a few law enforcement personnel about the San Jose clinic and they all shake their head at what it's going to do to the neighborhood.

From what I can tell about the clinic, it appears they serve working families that cannot afford healthcare. Also, their hours of operation are from 8am to 4:30pm. Are you suggesting that the clinic will lead to an increase in crime during the day? Please elaborate as to what it will do to the neighborhood, because I don't believe that people are going to go to San Jose, rob a nearby home or business while waiting to see a doctor, and then bring the loot back to the doc's office. Just because someone is poor, does not mean they are a criminal.

State law requires that zones created by petition within counties of more than 3.3 million in population setaside one third of the increment generated during the term of the zone to provide low-income housing. This housing can occur anywhere within the city limits, and is not restrictive to the zone.

Midtown was created by petition, and my guess (I repeat GUESS) is that they are able to buy that land because of state law. Here is the link

Land is not housing.

Yes, and that stigma is tapparently that they cause uncontrollable and insufferable complaining by area yuppies.

I've spoken with more than a few law enforcement personnel, too. They're probably shaking their heads at the constant whining and carping of the "hip and urban" residents.

Thank you for posting the link to the story on Garnet. This more than confirms what I have been saying. I want diversity in my neighborhood, versus domination by a single group. Garnet appears to be lost in time and locked into a very narrow viewpoint that a neighborhood is either a white, black, Vietnamese, Hispanic, Jewish, or etc neighborhood. He is failing to see that neighborhoods come and go and often make radical changes with the times. If I were to publicly state that I want a particular neighborhood to remain all Asian, all Hispanic, or all white I would be branded as a racist. How is it that an elected public official can say that he wants to keep an area black and remain in office?

His statement: "You can tell a neighborhood's turning,

I thought the same thing. However, I was wondering if they could claim that by purchasing the land, they are keeping housing cheap in all areas surrounding the lot.

I doubt it. In the short-term, a large influx of investor money distorts the land market, driving prices up. It is analogous to the effect on a particular stock when a large hedge fund or mutual fund identifies it as a 'buy'. In the long term, the market returns to equilibrium.

A better long-term strategy to preserve the housing stock and to maintain the Third Ward neighborhood as affordable would be to purchase lots with houses on them and continue to operate those properties as affordable housing indefinitely. Many of the houses don't add a great deal to the value of the property but they generate revenue, and by maintaining them as crappy houses for poor people, the neighborhood continues to repel the yuppie hordes.

I doubt it. In the short-term, a large influx of investor money distorts the land market, driving prices up. It is analogous to the effect on a particular stock when a large hedge fund or mutual fund identifies it as a 'buy'. In the long term, the market returns to equilibrium.

A better long-term strategy to preserve the housing stock and to maintain the Third Ward neighborhood as affordable would be to purchase lots with houses on them and continue to operate those properties as affordable housing indefinitely. Many of the houses don't add a great deal to the value of the property but they generate revenue, and by maintaining them as crappy houses for poor people, the neighborhood continues to repel the yuppie hordes.

Technically, they can buy land with the intent to build low income housing later. Just as a developer buys land to build on eventually, our TIRZ can buy land to build low income housing on eventually.

So basically, we know now that they are required by law to devote 1/3 of the money for low income housing. Also, the Redev Authority has purchased low income land (and housing) in 3rd ward. So here's my question to those on here... Since our TIRZ has to spend 1/3 of our money on low income housing, would you rather them be buying up land in 3rd ward for low income housing, or within Midtown? My vote is for outside of Midtown.

I've spoken with more than a few law enforcement personnel, too. They're probably shaking their heads at the constant whining and carping of the "hip and urban" residents.

You're right, area residents have no right to complain about their tax dollars being spent to further one man's mission to keep white people out of midtown.

You must feel so open minded when you defend slumlords and free loaders over "hip and urban yuppies" (AKA tax payers).

You're right, area residents have no right to complain about their tax dollars being spent to further one man's mission to keep white people out of midtown.

Read my post above yours. By law, Midtown is required to spend 1/3 of the money it collects on low income housing. I think everyone is worked up because of the idiotic thing the state rep said. Despite his comment, I'd rather them be abiding by the law and developing low income housing OUTSIDE of Midtown... not within it.

Technically, they can buy land with the intent to build low income housing later. Just as a developer buys land to build on eventually, our TIRZ can buy land to build low income housing on eventually.

Developers never accumulate land and sit on it indefinitely. Escalating holding costs would make any such strategy unsustainable. Until I see any evidence to the effect of that there are plans for affordable housing, I can only remind you that land is not housing.

By law, Midtown is required to spend 1/3 of the money it collects on low income housing. I think everyone is worked up because of the idiotic thing the state rep said.

I'm worked up by the idiotic statement that I quoted more than anything. I also think that area residents like myself have a right to be upset that the local politicians are using local taxes to stall rather than encourage development in the area. I somehow don't think that was the original idea behind forming the TIRZ.

I'm worked up by the idiotic statement that I quoted more than anything. I also think that area residents like myself have a right to be upset that the local politicians are using local taxes to stall rather than encourage development in the area. I somehow don't think that was the original idea behind forming the TIRZ.

Two sides of the same coin...some think it is good to develop, some think it is bad. Who's to say which is right?

Isn't Midtown in the fourth ward and wasn't Garnet Coleman's statement about the third ward using the piss poor development of the fourth ward as an example?

http://www.governing.com/article/land-rush

Such development is no accident. In the past decade, the public sector has invested upwards of $8 billion in the central area Houstonians call "the Inner Loop," much of it geared toward making the city more enticing to affluent suburbanites. There's an eight-mile light rail line, new football and baseball stadiums, a museum district that's doubled in size, new downtown parks and fresh landscaping. Yet now that suburbanites are moving in, it's not just Garnet Coleman who's sounding the alarm. So are Houston's mayor, Bill White, and many members of the city council -- particularly those who represent predominantly African-American and Hispanic districts.

Competing Strategies

While Coleman pushes his rental strategy in the Third Ward, Mayor White is pursuing a plan focused on homeownership. White's idea is to foreclose on tax-delinquent properties in six poor, close-in neighborhoods. The city will then convert these properties to affordable, owner-occupied housing as part of a larger effort to address other local concerns from crumbling infrastructure to high crime. White calls this "redevelopment that is the opposite of gentrification."

"It's good that there are people who want to live in city limits, but we don't want to destroy the character of a neighborhood," White argues. And, he adds, "Unless we do something aggressive...the market will build in concentric circles around [the downtown] employment center."

I agree. I'm a Midtown resident and find the quote very stupid. I was also upset about our money going to something other than us. That was until I found earlier today that link on Houston's website about TIRZ's and that by law, they have to use 1/3 of the money they collect for low income housing. Because of this (and searching HCAD), I'm assuming that the properties they purchased in 3rd ward have allowed them to be compliant with the law. By them putting money for low income housing on the other side of 288 (as opposed to our side), I believe it is better for Midtown's development. We know now that they have to spend the money for low income housing no matter what... so it's better to have it on the other side of 288. Imagine if they funneled all of that money for that type of housing within Midtown itself.

Also, when you think about it... if they keep development stifled on the other side of 288, wouldn't that only further increase Midtown's property values? Instead of cheaper real estate opportunities on the other side for people to buy, people are forced to buy/live within Midtown.

Two sides of the same coin...some think it is good to develop, some think it is bad. Who's to say which is right?

The TIRZ exists for the stated purpose of intensively developing a neighborhood. The 30% affordable housing rule exists to ensure that those who are inevitably displaced have a place to be displaced to.

Isn't Midtown in the fourth ward and wasn't Garnet Coleman's statement about the third ward using the piss poor development of the fourth ward as an example?

Only part of Midtown was in the Fourth Ward. Most of it was part of the Third Ward.

Archived