Old United Jewelers (Club Stelaris) Bulldozed

I think your comment was valid 5 years ago, but not anymore. The wave has begun and it'll take time but isn't likely to reverse itself. Besides the larger, more expensive developments, there are small harbingers worthy of notice. One little strip center near me at 75th & Lawndale has seen, in the past year or so, a dollar store turn into a bank, a tapioca cafe take over another spot and recently, the big Fiesta closed its doors.

Glad to hear you also survived New Years!

Unfortunatley a Kroger turned into a Big Lots or something cheesey like that.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unfortunatley a Kroger turned into a Big Lots or something cheesey like that.

That could happen where the Fiesta was but I would be surprised if what ends up there is not a step up from the lower-end retail we're used to seeing over here.

As for the original topic question as to what might be going in on this very large, cleared parcel along the 45............I'm not getting my hopes up since feeder roads are not known for producing aesthetically compelling developments. It'll probably be some big box chain store with a garrish sign and a gaggle of tacky, symbiotic minions alongside it.

The nice thing about Gulfgate is that you have Lowes as an alternative, which is the only place I go now. Everything seems fine there, but I've never had any large orders to place, just $20-$50 constantly. And no one waves at the car looking for work like they sometimes do at Home Depot. Not a big deal but somehow Lowes manages to keep their parking lot free from that.

I was discussing most of the thread about Home Depot with a friend this weekend. I needed supplies saw a huge mob blocking the lumber exit so we just left. Just like the person said earlier that place is so unorganized and takes forever just for the manager to open the door, etc. Most of the customers in line just stand there gazing into the sky as if in a daze. Kind of like they are used to being treated like moronic sheep. No one even bothers to question why there is only 1 clerk at the register.

We fled to Lowe's I was in and out of there within 10 minutes. I picked up several large pieces of plywood. Had it been H Depot we would have stood in that pathetic line for a loooong time.

The most menacing thing about that Woodridge Home Depot is the male hustlers loitering in front. Call them laborers or whatever but when $ is scarce people resort to scary behavior. It really looks like a scene from Midnight Cowboy. One even looked like Rat's Rizzo! Quite scary when you are getting into your car and you turn around and 1 or 2 of them are standing next to you soliciting. They could as easily rob or stab you. I see them approaching mothers with kid's. Long term fright for children. So Lowe's is the best way to go, not so traumatic.

I was discussing most of the thread about Home Depot with a friend this weekend. I needed supplies saw a huge mob blocking the lumber exit so we just left. Just like the person said earlier that place is so unorganized and takes forever just for the manager to open the door, etc. Most of the customers in line just stand there gazing into the sky as if in a daze. Kind of like they are used to being treated like moronic sheep. No one even bothers to question why there is only 1 clerk at the register.

The most menacing thing about that Woodridge Home Depot is the male hustlers loitering in front. Call them laborers or whatever but when $ is scarce people resort to scary behavior. It really looks like a scene from Midnight Cowboy. One even looked like Rat's Rizzo! Quite scary when you are getting into your car and you turn around and 1 or 2 of them are standing next to you soliciting. They could as easily rob or stab you. I see them approaching mothers with kid's. Long term fright for children. So Lowe's is the best way to go, not so traumatic.

I've had similar complaints regarding the cashier situation but have not run into that recently. The several yrs ago the store was the #1 store for contractors so evidently the big spenders were happy. Something has changed there because they no longer leave the rolling dollies/carts in the fire zone for storage. I hated that the most because it made navigating the parking lot difficult, esp when the store was busy.

As for the male hustlers. I must say i have never been approached by people offering their services. You must park far out because i've never never seen them walk up to cars. Usually the cars go to them. I know 2 people who regularly hire labors from the parking lots. A friend who lives off 249 and Cypresswood was visiting me and he wanted to go so I tagged along. He was disappointed that other stores didn't off this same "service." He said it sure would be popular in his neighborhood.

Guest andriasfault
I've had similar complaints regarding the cashier situation but have not run into that recently. The several yrs ago the store was the #1 store for contractors so evidently the big spenders were happy. Something has changed there because they no longer leave the rolling dollies/carts in the fire zone for storage. I hated that the most because it made navigating the parking lot difficult, esp when the store was busy.

As for the male hustlers. I must say i have never been approached by people offering their services. You must park far out because i've never never seen them walk up to cars. Usually the cars go to them. I know 2 people who regularly hire labors from the parking lots. A friend who lives off 249 and Cypresswood was visiting me and he wanted to go so I tagged along. He was disappointed that other stores didn't off this same "service." He said it sure would be popular in his neighborhood.

I have to agree here. If I need to have any work done around my house I usually do it myself but my father, who lives nearby in Pecan Park, hires the guys that hang out at HD all the time. He has been doing it for years and has never had any issues with them. I have been going to HD for years and have never been approached by any of the men there. I have never felt threatened in any way. In fact, I usually feel sympathy for these guys who have to hang out for hours, without food or water on really hot days, just for the opportunity or privilege to work in order to put food on their table.

On the other hand, I usually know what I want when I go into the HD so there is rarely a need for me to ask questions but when I do have a question I don't hold my breath. Whenever I go to the HD on 249 near Tomball the folks do seem to be more helpful and knowledgeable. I have also noticed that I can get in and out of Lowe's much faster.

I have noticed this more lately myself. I went into Gulfgate Home Depot before the Holidays and there were a couple of men loitering around the exits, not out at the end of the parking lot.

I know a few people who have hired out of the parking lot, usually for help with moving.

Gulfgate was a remarkably good start, and we've even got a Best Buy under construction now. But you're right, it would be nice if we could even get a Wal-Mart in this general area.

Whatever is going up behind HEB at Gulfgate doesn't look like its going to be a Best Buy.

I stopped going there even though i worked at Office depot. they sent me to get screws and i wound up going to Lowes. "It's not my department." "I'm at lunch." You're at lunch?! ____ take off that damn apron!

you couldn't find screws at home depot by yourself? but i do agree that the service there is horrible....i remember last fall me and my buddy had to create a Rube Goldberg machine for our eng. class at UH and we asked one of the dudes working there for some particular parts and they didn't help us at all, we eventually found them but it was an inconvenience that we went through

Whatever is going up behind HEB at Gulfgate doesn't look like its going to be a Best Buy.

All you see is tilt wall construction walls at his point. Don't know you can determine what is going to be there by just looking at that.

All you see is tilt wall construction walls at his point. Don't know you can determine what is going to be there by just looking at that.

It has several window looking deals near the front. No BB of i know of has windows. Might make it easier to break into.

PS: No i couldn't find a screw :) Cutter 1/2 inch round head i don't care. :)

It has several window looking deals near the front. No BB of i know of has windows. Might make it easier to break into.

maybe they're planning on filling in the holes with concrete at a later date.

never know what those crazy builders are up to.

maybe they're planning on filling in the holes with concrete at a later date.

never know what those crazy builders are up to.

Best Buy was the only announced tenant when i spoke with the lady from Wulfe and Co. She said there were more in work. I will call her back to see if they've announced anymore.

Sounds like it might be a Best Buy anchoring a multitenant shopping center. The storefront windows would be for the other tenants.

• 1 year later...

The bulldozers are really eating away at this spot now! The sign says future shopping area. It would be so nice if they bulldozed the old Days Inn directly behind it too. :D

It would be ideal if there were a survey to ask local residents what 5-7 types of business they would prefer to have in this future shopping center? Dry cleaner's for one? No more 5 & dime's please.

Good Afternoon,

What is the old saying " you get what you pay for " !

I have friends that will drive to Berings Hardware,Martinis Hardware , C&D Harware ,Ace Tru Value just to avoid

Home Depot unless he is requiring major and great quantity of lumber.

Furthermore, the times he has gone to Home Depot to buy major items or mass quantity he has mentioned to me

where the cashier under charge him , cashier made up a price to avoid price check, manager helps as cashier and gives him 15% discount for the wait . . he thrives to go there when Home Depot is understaffed and super busy !

He also loves the Home Depot with the bad rep since he has also gotten good deals on discount items

where boxes have been open , missing parts , broken items etc . . .

• 1 month later...

Since this old corner where the United used to be is being built up new again, this woudl be the perfect opportunity to widen the Wayside lanes into 45.

I mean, if you are driving South on Wayside where it meets 45 it gets so bottle necked and has been a nightmare for years.

The city should make an attempt to widen or at least make 2 exiting lanes from Wayide onto 45 to alleviate the traffic. Once this new shopping center gets done, they will wish they had worked on the traffic flow situation.

Is it Tex Dot? or Tx Highways Dept, that could view the situation, maybe community groups can voice opinions while there is still time? :o

Nip it in the bud.

• 7 months later...

The Verizon store seems to be doing well at this new South Wayside Village center. Has a great view as you look over at 45. The design is pretty nice, stunned! :o:)

Actually a great breakfast place would make cha-ching $$$ here, but what about parking?

Guess can't have it all.

In regards to the Home Depot at Gulfgate I sorta know one of the semi dept managers there. Great guy, great service which you are right is rare but he is also a bit older and an anglo if that has anything to do with it. But anyhow he was telling me of all the problems the store had with the senior Managers. Apparently Home Depot sent in an out of town fix it squad to get the place back in shape. Frankly I have not seen any difference so not sure if it's working or not. This coming from a guy who spends many thousands of dollars at that Home Depot in the past three years. Just spent over $3,000 in the past two weeks there.

Oh yes it also pisses me off when they have to call for the MOD (manager on duty) to open the large overhead door so that the forklift can load up your truck. The MOD has wasted more of my time at that store then anyone else and they aren't friendly.

Scharpe St Guy

Why dont you just go to the lowes? That's where I go.

• The title was changed to Old United Jewelers (Club Stelaris) Bulldozed

Archived