Old United Jewelers (Club Stelaris) Bulldozed

Hmm, let me see. We don't want to hear Spanish being spoken, we don't want low end shops created in our neighborhoods, we don't want to listen to music that was described as being "low" (quite humorous) and on and on and on. Rock and roll was considered "low" and "degenerate" when it first came out and scared lots of people. Today, it is right up there with apple pie in terms of being mainstream. There is nothing, legally, that can prevent these folks from doing any of these things and, really, what is the harm? Most of what is driving this is really just plain old supply and demand forces.

The East End is an old, urban, established neighborhood and, chances are, the things folks don't like about it will not change anytime soon. So we can move out, or stay and "delicate flower and moan" or we can accept it and be happy. I choose to be happy.

It's much easier to choose to be happy when the negative effects of the "low" cultural indicators are outside your immediate neighborhood, then they become like eye-candy/National Geographic snapshots out of a book sitting on your living room coffee table. Idylwood is the gentlest version of the East End.

I say that because I also try not to get negative about certain things I see; the music, all that.....is fine except when it starts to become an overall syndrome causing my immediate surroundings to decline, then there's a tendency to mentally bash it all. I enter and leave my neighborhood each day on Myrtle St. Everything's dandy until I arrive there, then, if I'm not careful, the negative thoughts begin.

There are constant stimuli that can trigger a negative response so I do practice "choosing to be happy" constantly, but I'm not a master yet. Overall, I chose to live here knowing what was here and, 5 years later, am still glad, very glad, that I made that decision, but at the same time, am actively attempting to improve my surroundings, as opposed to sitting back and "choosing to be happy". Kind of a conflict in a sense, I suppose. I have finally realized that the trick is to actively try to improve things while remaining emotionally detached from the process and having little expectation of results.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great response,

I actually enjoy the occasional 80's new wave stuff, brings back great memories.

An earlier response seemed on the defensive when the Spanish music was described as low class. Next time you hear it; try to listen to the lyrics (hopefully you are fluent) if not ask someone with what the singer is saying. The songs are about boozing, infidelity, cheating and so on. Seldom about love/affection. Not exactly what I would want my children to be hearing as we shop. Some time they are hooting & hollering like drunks do in cantina's. That's what was meant by a lower class of music not the fact that it is Spanish music. It would be fantastic if they kept Latin music and used sounds of Brazil/South America/Cuban ie; Samba, mambo etc. better quality sounds. Houston has never had good radio period. It would cool if they played German, Italian etc since we are considered an Intn'l city? For those that have travelled to other cities like San Jose or San Diego, Ca. those airways play so much more quality music of all types. Houston never seems to catch on. Still in the past. Sorry to hurt any ego's but it's true. Cheers!

I'm quite fluent, but I agree with you, I did hear some howls of joy at some tunes, but that doesn't bother me.

Maybe I'll talk to the manager next time I go over. If that doesn't help, a letter to corporate might help.

Can you imagine shopping for detergent while moving to a merege' beat? :)

Guest andriasfault
To be perfectly clear, no one here is advocating legal action.

Different people have different preferences, that's all. And all these different people may be a statistical minority, but they aren't going anywhere anytime soon, either. So you can move out, or stay and "delicate flower and moan", or you can accept it and be happy. Sound familiar?

Negativity breeds negativity. But since it is clear we disagree why don't we drop it and move to the next topic.

Negativity breeds negativity.

Perhaps for you. But I choose to be happy. ;)

Of course, what makes me happy with respect to this subject is to make money on the house I'm rehabbing in Eastwood. Foundation work is being done as we speak. And with that aim, catering to yuppies is in my best interest. That is why I'm made happy by recognizing those qualities about the neighborhood that are unappealing to that demographic group and seeking to change them.

Guest andriasfault
It's much easier to choose to be happy when the negative effects of the "low" cultural indicators are outside your immediate neighborhood, then they become like eye-candy/National Geographic snapshots out of a book sitting on your living room coffee table. Idylwood is the gentlest version of the East End.

I say that because I also try not to get negative about certain things I see; the music, all that.....is fine except when it starts to become an overall syndrome causing my immediate surroundings to decline, then there's a tendency to mentally bash it all. I enter and leave my neighborhood each day on Myrtle St. Everything's dandy until I arrive there, then, if I'm not careful, the negative thoughts begin.

There are constant stimuli that can trigger a negative response so I do practice "choosing to be happy" constantly, but I'm not a master yet. Overall, I chose to live here knowing what was here and, 5 years later, am still glad, very glad, that I made that decision, but at the same time, am actively attempting to improve my surroundings, as opposed to sitting back and "choosing to be happy". Kind of a conflict in a sense, I suppose. I have finally realized that the trick is to actively try to improve things while remaining emotionally detached from the process and having little expectation of results.

I see your point. The blaring music at Fiesta at music used to bother me while I was teeing off on hole number 3 at Gus Wortham but now I miss that chaotic sense that there is real life around me when I tee off at pristine courses elsewhere in the city. However, if the music is next door when you are trying to sleep or if safety is an issue when you drive into your neighborhood I can see how the "being happy" approach may have to give way to being safe or whatever the case may be. I apologize for my tone.

Perhaps for you. But I choose to be happy. ;)

Of course, what makes me happy with respect to this subject is to make money on the house I'm rehabbing in Eastwood. Foundation work is being done as we speak. And with that aim, catering to yuppies is in my best interest. That is why I'm made happy by recognizing those qualities about the neighborhood that are unappealing to that demographic group and seeking to change them.

I admit I may have jumped the gun but we all must be careful when we speak/write, etc. I have to find SilverCat or whatever her name is and apologize to her. Good for you. I hope you make a good profit.

I admit I may have jumped the gun but we all must be careful when we speak/write, etc. I have to find SilverCat or whatever her name is and apologize to her. Good for you. I hope you make a good profit.

Thanks. Much appreciated. :)

His/her name is Silverartfox, by the way, if you'd like to send him/her a PM.

An earlier response seemed on the defensive when the Spanish music was described as low class. Next time you hear it; try to listen to the lyrics (hopefully you are fluent) if not ask someone with what the singer is saying. The songs are about boozing, infidelity, cheating and so on. Seldom about love/affection. Not exactly what I would want my children to be hearing as we shop. Some time they are hooting & hollering like drunks do in cantina's. That's what was meant by a lower class of music not the fact that it is Spanish music. It would be fantastic if they kept Latin music and used sounds of Brazil/South America/Cuban ie; Samba, mambo etc. better quality sounds. Houston has never had good radio period. It would cool if they played German, Italian etc since we are considered an Intn'l city? For those that have travelled to other cities like San Jose or San Diego, Ca. those airways play so much more quality music of all types. Houston never seems to catch on. Still in the past. Sorry to hurt any ego's but it's true. Cheers!

I just have to say this is one of the funniest things i've ever read! To say the music of Mexico is mainly about boozing, infidelity is just not true. Then to say music from Brazil/cuban, etc IS about love and affection is not true. All music genres have music about falling in and out of love. Also music brazil, cuba, etc is not all mambo, samba, etc.

ANY song whether in English or Spanish can have a latin beat.

Guest andriasfault
Excuse me, but what does your comment about the civil rights movement have to do with the type and quality of retail establishments that are needed in Eastwood? Please explain...

Silverartfox,

Please disregard my previous post. I perceived a nasty tone in the thread so I responded with a less than nice tone. Now I see that the comments here are not meant to offend but are simply representative of a minority voice that would like to be better represented in the area in which it lives and would like to make it a better place in which to live. Please accept my apology. I now see that no one meant any harm/malice, etc.

I just have to say this is one of the funniest things i've ever read! To say the music of Mexico is mainly about boozing, infidelity is just not true. Then to say music from Brazil/cuban, etc IS about love and affection is not true. All music genres have music about falling in and out of love. Also music brazil, cuba, etc is not all mambo, samba, etc.

ANY song whether in English or Spanish can have a latin beat.

It amazes me how easily offended some of us are getting. If you read the comment regarding the music; there is no mention of MEXICO. Time for a mental margarita everyone.

I am glad however that someone mentioned its best to direct the music situation right at the management, via in person & via email to the corporate offices. This always works. We have had to speak up to head offices at Home Depot (Gulfgate) because of their lousy customer service. That location has to be one of the worse in the state. Notice the high turn over rate of employees. Everyone jumps ship. There have been several confirmations of very common shoplifting there; inside jobs too. If you are lucky enough to grab an employee they always say, I'm too busy, not my dept, I just started and those are the ones that speak English. If you are a glutton for punishment and mind games and mental anguish shop in Gulfgate area. Bottom line.

Just like Rodney Dangerfield said " I don't get any respect" and he didn't even live in the hood! Wish he had though we could have hung out!

It amazes me how easily offended some of us are getting. If you read the comment regarding the music; there is no mention of MEXICO. Time for a mental margarita everyone.

I am glad however that someone mentioned its best to direct the music situation right at the management, via in person & via email to the corporate offices. This always works. We have had to speak up to head offices at Home Depot (Gulfgate) because of their lousy customer service. That location has to be one of the worse in the state. Notice the high turn over rate of employees. Everyone jumps ship. There have been several confirmations of very common shoplifting there; inside jobs too. If you are lucky enough to grab an employee they always say, I'm too busy, not my dept, I just started and those are the ones that speak English. If you are a glutton for punishment and mind games and mental anguish shop in Gulfgate area. Bottom line.

Just like Rodney Dangerfield said " I don't get any respect" and he didn't even live in the hood! Wish he had though we could have hung out!

I was always wondering at the Home Depot place. Has there been enough complaints against it at corporate? one of the things stores HATE is getting calls from corporate that are NOT compliments.

It amazes me how easily offended some of us are getting. If you read the comment regarding the music; there is no mention of MEXICO.
No offense was taken. Many use the term "spanish" incorrectly. They call people who speak the Spanish language Spanish even though they are Mexican/Cuban etc. Your music references were conflicting.

In regards to the Home Depot at Gulfgate I sorta know one of the semi dept managers there. Great guy, great service which you are right is rare but he is also a bit older and an anglo if that has anything to do with it. But anyhow he was telling me of all the problems the store had with the senior Managers. Apparently Home Depot sent in an out of town fix it squad to get the place back in shape. Frankly I have not seen any difference so not sure if it's working or not. This coming from a guy who spends many thousands of dollars at that Home Depot in the past three years. Just spent over $3,000 in the past two weeks there.

Oh yes it also pisses me off when they have to call for the MOD (manager on duty) to open the large overhead door so that the forklift can load up your truck. The MOD has wasted more of my time at that store then anyone else and they aren't friendly.

Scharpe St Guy

In regards to the Home Depot at Gulfgate I sorta know one of the semi dept managers there. Great guy, great service which you are right is rare but he is also a bit older and an anglo if that has anything to do with it. But anyhow he was telling me of all the problems the store had with the senior Managers. Apparently Home Depot sent in an out of town fix it squad to get the place back in shape. Frankly I have not seen any difference so not sure if it's working or not. This coming from a guy who spends many thousands of dollars at that Home Depot in the past three years. Just spent over $3,000 in the past two weeks there.

Oh yes it also pisses me off when they have to call for the MOD (manager on duty) to open the large overhead door so that the forklift can load up your truck. The MOD has wasted more of my time at that store then anyone else and they aren't friendly.

Scharpe St Guy

My point exactly,

Another reason I drive clear to Fuqua or Pasadena H depots, those are so much better prepared and do it by the book. The way it should be. At least they are professional and courteous. Dont have to beg for assistance.

Companies especially the ones that deal directly with the public have always had good training programs. Basically, when you have a good leader the others perform much better. A good manager makes certain that the workers use basic Yes sirs and yes mam's, please and thank you's.

The managers must get frustrated with the incompetance they have to deal with on a daily basis they must toss in their hats and run screaming. If you had to police and monitor an elementary-minded group of people you would head for the door too. Stats prove that employees in that store barely have a high school diploma if at all. Gotta tell you something when you see 40 something year old men stocking shelves that appear as if they just came out of TDC. (and many of them have) I used to work at The Worksource and prisons normally send their recently released to places like Home Depots for work.

Ok, now someone will get mad at me again, oh well truth is the truth. Like Popeye's says "Gotta Love it"

Another reason I drive clear to Fuqua or Pasadena H depots, those are so much better prepared and do it by the book.

The nice thing about Gulfgate is that you have Lowes as an alternative, which is the only place I go now. Everything seems fine there, but I've never had any large orders to place, just $20-$50 constantly. And no one waves at the car looking for work like they sometimes do at Home Depot. Not a big deal but somehow Lowes manages to keep their parking lot free from that.

Another reason I drive clear to Fuqua or Pasadena H depots, those are so much better prepared and do it by the book. The way it should be. At least they are professional and courteous. Dont have to beg for assistance.

We went to the Fuqua on last week and service there was nonexistant as well. I needed 35' of 4 conductor phone wire. Well, after the manager said none of the wire spools are labelled phone wire, i just left in frustration. Went to Lowes.

And no one waves at the car looking for work like they sometimes do at Home Depot. Not a big deal but somehow Lowes manages to keep their parking lot free from that.

cause there is always 1 if not two constable vehicles in the parking lot for security purposes. Many illegals consider Lowe's too upscale compared to the Depot.

Somewhat on the topic of east end stores, have any of my fellow east-enders been in that Food-a-rama grocery store over by the High School on Monroe? It's just east of Glenbrook on Old Galveston Road just a few blocks south of the loop.

I stopped in there today to pick up a packet of light bulbs & was thinking, oh boy, Food-a-rama, this is going to be the ghetto unfabulous experience of the day. I happen to be over there & otherwise would not have gone in. I mean, it's called food-a-rama It just sounds ghetto! But I have to say they seemed to have their act together better than most of the groceries I have been in in the area. The Manager greeted me at the front, (at first I thought maybe he was thinking this Gringo must be lost), but he seemed to be at the front running the show and greeting people as much as possible. The store was very clean and seemed well stocked & everything seemed to be really in order. Something unfortunately you don't always see. It seemed to be a favorite with the blue-hairs of the area. That's at least one place in the area that seems well run.

Somewhat on the topic of east end stores, have any of my fellow east-enders been in that Food-a-rama grocery store over by the High School on Monroe? It's just east of Glenbrook on Old Galveston Road just a few blocks south of the loop.

Are you talking by the fire station? Your Monroe reference is confusing me because it ends near 45.

Have you tried the Central Market/HEB grocery store over by Shaver and Spencer? It is latin themed. I've heard from a couple of people though that they have some great already prepared foods, breads etc. I'm going to try and make it out there this weekend.

Are you talking by the fire station? Your Monroe reference is confusing me because it ends near 45.

Have you tried the Central Market/HEB grocery store over by Shaver and Spencer? It is latin themed. I've heard from a couple of people though that they have some great already prepared foods, breads etc. I'm going to try and make it out there this weekend.

Not Monroe, Howard. I was having a senior moment....

I stopped going there even though i worked at Office depot. they sent me to get screws and i wound up going to Lowes. "It's not my department." "I'm at lunch." You're at lunch?! ____ take off that damn apron!

Silverartfox,

Please disregard my previous post. I perceived a nasty tone in the thread so I responded with a less than nice tone. Now I see that the comments here are not meant to offend but are simply representative of a minority voice that would like to be better represented in the area in which it lives and would like to make it a better place in which to live. Please accept my apology. I now see that no one meant any harm/malice, etc.

Thank you, but no apology is necessary. The complaint about needing better places to shop in the East End is voiced by my neighbors (Hispanic and black) as well as many others I've met who live in this area.

I stopped going there even though i worked at Office depot. they sent me to get screws and i wound up going to Lowes. "It's not my department." "I'm at lunch." You're at lunch?! ____ take off that damn apron!

If you're still working at Office Depot, your store just missed a $100-$200 sale. In recent weeks I was in there twice to buy a desk chair and couldn't find anyone to help or answer questions so I left.

Scharpe St Guy

Hmmm...I was just about to special order some Thomasville kitchen cabinets from HD. The times I've talked with a kitchen planner there were informative and productive.

For other items though, neither Lowe's nor HD has adequate customer service at any of their stores. I used to shop at the ones on the West Loop near Bellaire and they are all the same. Nobody who works there gives a damn.

If you're still working at Office Depot, your store just missed a $100-$200 sale. In recent weeks I was in there twice to buy a desk chair and couldn't find anyone to help or answer questions so I left.

I don't work at that one anymore...We get "el cheapo autzone CEO" He cuts hours, cuts, cuts and cuts. I don't feel sorry for them. How can a store run with 1 cashier, 3 managers and 1 copy center person? At any given time? They cut hours and benefits and other stuff customers notice if they buy something and expect the store to run effiecently. PS: don't buy Ativa brand anything...it'll break.

For other items though, neither Lowe's nor HD has adequate customer service at any of their stores. I used to shop at the ones on the West Loop near Bellaire and they are all the same. Nobody who works there gives a damn.

The old manager of Gulfgate lowe's is now manager of Lowe's on the West loop.

I always go to Lowes. HD only if I got a gift card or something. I also like the True Value/Ace place (I forget which it is) on Telephone. I've surprised myself many times finding what I wanted at a reasonable price. And I can get in and get out.

I'll have to try the food-a-rama. Rob has been there before because the firefighters shop there. But I have never ventured in. I haven't stepped inside the Gulfgate HEB in probably a year. The last 2 trips before that I walked out and left my basket in disgust. Disorganized, no self checkout and people with a basket full of items clogging up the only open express checkout lane. I'll never understand the layout they choose for their stores either.

I always go to Lowes. HD only if I got a gift card or something. I also like the True Value/Ace place (I forget which it is) on Telephone. I've surprised myself many times finding what I wanted at a reasonable price. And I can get in and get out.

I'll have to try the food-a-rama. Rob has been there before because the firefighters shop there. But I have never ventured in. I haven't stepped inside the Gulfgate HEB in probably a year. The last 2 trips before that I walked out and left my basket in disgust. Disorganized, no self checkout and people with a basket full of items clogging up the only open express checkout lane. I'll never understand the layout they choose for their stores either.

I went to buy a 12 pack one time and my 15 year old brother was with me. The girl at the check out told the manager i was buying it for a minor. I was over 21 produced ID. Since then i haven't been back.Apparently if someone young is with you there is an issue. I better leave my son unattended in the car while i go buy beer *rolls eyes*

I went to buy a 12 pack one time and my 15 year old brother was with me. The girl at the check out told the manager i was buying it for a minor. I was over 21 produced ID. Since then i haven't been back.Apparently if someone young is with you there is an issue. I better leave my son unattended in the car while i go buy beer *rolls eyes*

Oh and those ace home places are a rip off. They buy stuff from HD and Lowes and mark it beyond cost. They even buy stuff from the dollar store and do the same. I had a friend who work at the one on lawndale. No wonder there aren't many around. I went to buy a flare side sink pipe and it was $8 while it was $4 at HD.

Oh and those ace home places are a rip off. They buy stuff from HD and Lowes and mark it beyond cost. They even buy stuff from the dollar store and do the same. I had a friend who work at the one on lawndale. No wonder there aren't many around. I went to buy a flare side sink pipe and it was $8 while it was $4 at HD.

Yeah but it's about convenience and need. I know I've paid more for items cause i had to such as a car battery.

Yeah but it's about convenience and need. I know I've paid more for items cause i had to such as a car battery.

Exactly, I'm very much a regular at the Gulfgate Lowes. But for convenience you can't beat the smaller stores. And you can find an employee who can actually help you and answer questions.

My point exactly! I have left my full basket at least twice and had to mentally have to "psych" myself at the entrance into walking in (only out of desperation do I go in there) (HEB Gulfgate). The Food-a-Rama everyone is speaking of is near Glenbrook area next to those old train tracks. this is a real hit a miss store too. My last experiences there were very unpleasant. If we think back 6-8 years ago it was great, still had that old fashioned "we care about the customer atmosphere" and yes there was pleasant elevator music "lightly" playing in the background.

Back to present; when I asked for certain items the clerks couldn't understand English so I had to do a hidden treasure search. The beer joint music was blaring above with tons of hooting & hollering, "Ariba, ariba, andaleee". Hardly enough of the most commonly ordered items not available but there were tons of tortillas, etc.

Getting to the counter the attendant had her hair all wet (pathetic) a ton of bozo-the-clown make-up, never greeted me but kept her focus on the sacker as they talked about last nights American Idol and how she should be on it, then her cell phone rang which she promptly answered and got glued to. I really thought I was on Candid-Camera. Basically, I was tuned out from her radar. She amazingly placed my change on the counter (not in my hand). No Thank you, nothing, more like get lost so I can resume my gangsta-conversation. So in case you have never been to East LA, there it is! Food-a-rama or barrio- rama. Needs to go unless a MAJOR overhaul is done, doubt seriously.

Archived