Artique At 1024 Studewood St.

escapee

I've gotten good feedback about our place at 1024 Studewood. Now I'm wondering if we should consider leasing it out for a year or so to ride out the construction. Has anybody heard any more about the Glass Wall Restaurant supposed to open at 10th and S/wood? That would be a plus to the commercial value of the place. Who would be good to contact about leasing? Our present realtor hasn't done diddly for us, thinks we should improve the property AND lower the price. I feel certain that property values in that area will be rising. Any feedback will be welcome.

I've gotten good feedback about our place at 1024 Studewood.  Now I'm wondering if we should consider leasing it out for a year or so to ride out the construction.  Has anybody heard any more about the Glass Wall Restaurant supposed to open at 10th and S/wood?  That would be a plus to the commercial value of the place.  Who would be good to contact about leasing?  Our present realtor hasn't done diddly for us, thinks we should improve the property AND lower the price.  I feel certain that property values in that area will be rising.  Any feedback will be welcome.

You might want to consider a second opinion. Without knowing much about your situation your Realtor might be telling you the truth which of course you do not want to hear. It is hard to hear that your home is not valued as high as you would value the property. If you hear the same from another broker then you might want to consider what they are telling you. If you are sure the value will go up and you do not need to pull the equity out then leasing might be a great option for you.

• 1 month later...

We own a house/commercial property at 1024 Studewood that we have up for sale/lease. We've been hanging on for the street to be finished. Just got word Saturday that the street won't be done until NEXT @#$@ SUMMER !! Our neighbor there went to a town hall meeting about it where he learned that there is nothing we can do to remedy the situation. We can't even get a break on taxes that have skyrocketed. Anybody out there have any info about this? Would we stand a chance if we got together a class-action suit...........against the city? the contractors? It's just not right. Businesses on that street have lost revenue, even closed down. What's the little guy to do? Any insight would be most appreciated.

The is worst possible thing for any public project. When issues payment issues arise, they have to go to court if they can't settle it. The person that gets hurt is the citizen.

Just hope the contractor doesn't go belly up in the project. Then things get really bad.

Thanks for the reply................I think! Anybody out there in a similar situation? I did find an article on the Chronicle website about the town meeting. Basically, nobody is at fault.......nobody is going to do NOTHING! Meanwhile, we have a property we need to move on a street people avoid like the plague. I know it's going to be great when/if it gets done, but we don't even live in Houston anymore and really need to see some action here. I know they say you can't fight city hall, but this is just criminal!

These things happen from time to time when a contractor is at odds with the government entity. In reality both sides have their position and both may very well havea ground to stand on, this when arbitration and possible court enters the matter.

I've seen several jobs do this. It's never pretty.

• 3 months later...

A big thanks to the guys on this site who encouraged me when I posted about the problems trying to sell/rent our property on Studewood during the endless construction on the street. I'm happy to report that a really nice young woman has opened an African Art gallery there. She has wonderful merchandise and has done a terrific job of spiffing the place up. It's called Valerie's Gallerie at 1024 Studewood. A slide show can be viewed at: http://homepage.mac.com/derrilvallery/iMovieTheater126.html

You might want to consider a second opinion. Without knowing much about your situation your Realtor might be telling you the truth which of course you do not want to hear. It is hard to hear that your home is not valued as high as you would value the property. If you hear the same from another broker then you might want to consider what they are telling you. If you are sure the value will go up and you do not need to pull the equity out then leasing might be a great option for you.

Glass Wall Restaurant is slated to open in Mid March. The restaurant itself will be stunning. Use of custom stone and tile will make this a showpiece property for sure. Website construction is underway so stay tuned for more info.

- Shepard Ross

General Manager

Glass Wall The Restaurant

Glass Wall Restaurant is slated to open in Mid March. The restaurant itself will be stunning. Use of custom stone and tile will make this a showpiece property for sure. Website construction is underway so stay tuned for more info.

- Shepard Ross

General Manager

Glass Wall The Restaurant

Hey, thanks for the info. I've been keeping up with your progress thru these pages. We rented our space to a really nice young woman who has opened an African art gallery. She's done wonders spiffing it up both outside and in. Her merchandise is outstanding also. A slide show of her place can be viewed at

http://homepage.mac.com/derrilvallery/iMovieTheater126.html . We live in NE TX now, but we'll be sure to visit your new place when in Houston. The neighborhood is really coming up. It's about time, huh?

• 3 weeks later...

escapee, passed by the property and yes the gallerie did much for your establishment. consider yourself lucky!!!

per your last post regarding sell/lease, it may behoove you to push the property on your current lessee or burn it down and rebuild. why? well, the property, though a good size lot doesn't offer much in terms of a value add, smashed between a few shanty homes and a dilapidated hardware store, not to mention that "fiesta" across the street (doesn't offer much in terms of vision) you'd be in luck to get $155,000 with or without that glasshouse restaurant, which if I might add is bound to fail for a number of reason including inadequate parking, proximity to a filler station (see statistics) and so forth. sure, the joint will be novel for a while, but once it shuts down I wouldn

escapee, passed by the property and yes the gallerie did much for your establishment. consider yourself lucky!!!

per your last post regarding sell/lease, it may behoove you to push the property on your current lessee or burn it down and rebuild. why? well, the property, though a good size lot doesn't offer much in terms of a value add, smashed between a few shanty homes and a dilapidated hardware store, not to mention that "fiesta" across the street (doesn't offer much in terms of vision) you'd be in luck to get $155,000 with or without that glasshouse restaurant, which if I might add is bound to fail for a number of reason including inadequate parking, proximity to a filler station (see statistics) and so forth. sure, the joint will be novel for a while, but once it shuts down I wouldn

Good Afternoon,

hope your day goes well !

Paul , so are you saying from White Oak down Studewood to about

14th where the Fiesta is the property value of homes, land , and

business are not "ideal" and will decrease in value ?

I think there are some people that enjoy the Fiesta

and the new construction of Studewood

Please provide feedback

Thank You

okay, let's stop the Pual bashing: for starters, this is a public space and thus i'm protecting my work e-mail from hate mongers. i do forward my hotmail e-mail to my office e-mail: also, google isn't god, check your sources more thoroughly before debasing someone's professional career! no, i don't currently live in The Heights. yes, i have before, own the property and choose not to share its address, lest one of you freaks attempt... secondly, i wasn't referring to the actual "Fiesta" but rather that awful sight across the street from said gallery which looks of a "Fiesta." But, now that you mentioned it, you're proably accurate in that "Fiesta" and those fiesta baskets tossed asunder everynight add little, i sure as hell wouldn't purchase anything on the side of town, perhaps a nightclub? also, that hardware store needs a SERIOUS overhual: it looks like a duck, it's a duck. 30 years, fantastic success, but come on, do something with the property gee-wizzz. they practically invite redicule.

lastly, anyong doubting my credentials i willing to stake a cool 1,000USD bet on the "glass shacks" life, or lack thereof, no parking, gas station fumes, beer heads in and out, doesn't speak of fine dining to me.

i can't believe the slack i'm getting for posting an honest opinion. where's ESCAPEE? isn't this our discourse?

okay, let's stop the Pual bashing: for starters, this is a public space and thus i'm protecting my work e-mail from hate mongers. i do forward my hotmail e-mail to my office e-mail: also, google isn't god, check your sources more thoroughly before debasing someone's professional career! no, i don't currently live in The Heights. yes, i have before, own the property and choose not to share its address, lest one of you freaks attempt... secondly, i wasn't referring to the actual "Fiesta" but rather that awful sight across the street from said gallery which looks of a "Fiesta." But, now that you mentioned it, you're proably accurate in that "Fiesta" and those fiesta baskets tossed asunder everynight add little, i sure as hell wouldn't purchase anything on the side of town, perhaps a nightclub? also, that hardware store needs a SERIOUS overhual: it looks like a duck, it's a duck. 30 years, fantastic success, but come on, do something with the property gee-wizzz. they practically invite redicule.

lastly, anyong doubting my credentials i willing to stake a cool 1,000USD bet on the "glass shacks" life, or lack thereof, no parking, gas station fumes, beer heads in and out, doesn't speak of fine dining to me.

i can't believe the slack i'm getting for posting an honest opinion. where's ESCAPEE? isn't this our discourse?

Well, "Pual", you invited the abuse with your 'honest' opinion. But, what really got people going is your apparent ignorance of the area, coupled with your incendiary assessment. Calling a gentrifying area a "Fiesta" because it doesn't look like the Galleria is a narrow view, ignoring all of the potential customers who LIKE that old stuff and it's rehab potential. And suggesting a nightclub in a dry area with schools located up and down the street? The authoritative dismissal may impress some who are uninformed, but those of us that know about these things immediately dismiss your assessment as unsupported showboating.

Suffice to say, you made that bed....

Well, "Pual", you invited the abuse with your 'honest' opinion. But, what really got people going is your apparent ignorance of the area, coupled with your incendiary assessment. Calling a gentrifying area a "Fiesta" because it doesn't look like the Galleria is a narrow view, ignoring all of the potential customers who LIKE that old stuff and it's rehab potential. And suggesting a nightclub in a dry area with schools located up and down the street? The authoritative dismissal may impress some who are uninformed, but those of us that know about these things immediately dismiss your assessment as unsupported showboating.

Suffice to say, you made that bed....

Red, you always sum it up best.

Well, is it Paul or Pual? And of course Google isn't God. That's why I looked in the phone book, went to HAR.com and did reverse searches. I don't know if there is a law against internet mis-representation...I'll drop that issue in Red's lap.

That aside, I'm so glad you wouldn't puchase anything on my side of town.

I've never heard anyone ridicule [not "redicule"] Davis Hardware [in buisness since at least the 30's, as I said...not 30 years as you misstated] except you. But maybe you're just adverse to quality work.

In addition, I feel confident none of the "freaks" on this site would take the effort to give you little more than the time of day much less "attempt" whatever it is are implying.

To summarize: I love being able to convieniently shoot 12 blocks down to Fiesta for a pound of butter, a dozen tamales or a bag of oranges and if I so choose, go another 5 for a pinata.

Please, do yourself-and the rest of us a favor: put on a suit, make a reservation at Tony's, do some "fine dining" and stay far, far away from my neighborhood.

No offense but I just think that will work out so much better for us all.

Edited by nmainguy

Edited by escapee

Sounds like he has a weird agenda going. His choices of words ....shanty, bamboozled...........are certainly agressive and confrontational.

I don't know why, but every time I see this thread, I get a mental picture of a short guy in a yellow Hummer with a magnetic sign on the door. Is it just me? :blink:

• 8 months later...

My husband and I own the property at 1024 Studewood. We are considering put it up for sale. It has been leased for the last year, used as a residence and retail store.

How is the market in the Heights now? We live in NE Texas now, so it's harder to oversee things in Houston. We had it on the market two years ago, but with the street being torn up for so long, it just didn't fly.

Anybody out there with suggestions as to where to start? We had it listed with 2 different realtors before and we were very unimpressed with their service.

I'd think that with all the new businesses and the street being so nice now that it would be a prime area. The place has a retail space in the front, living quarters behind that, a wrap around carport, two driveways, and a good sized warehouse in the back. Perfect for cottage industry.

Serious comments only, please. No trolls! ;)

With Studewood FINALLY being finished, now would be the time. As for who to list it with, I don't really know. I'd find someone with an eye on retail or commercial of some sort, as living on Studewood (for me persoanlly at least) wouldn't be very nice.

With Studewood FINALLY being finished, now would be the time. As for who to list it with, I don't really know. I'd find someone with an eye on retail or commercial of some sort, as living on Studewood (for me persoanlly at least) wouldn't be very nice.

We had a software business there, selling mostly to computer systems builders and mom and pop type stores all over the country. Since it was a new business, we found ourselves working late hours, so living there made it a 30 second commute. A real plus with Houston traffic. Also, we combined rents for living and working, so we really saved money that way. And the master bedroom is toward the back, so it's actually pretty quiet. We even had a hot tub set up in the warehouse in the laundry room.

The place was good to us. We kind of hate to see it go, but it's just too much hassle being landlords 200 miles away. Not to mention paying Harris County taxes. But, I won't go there.