Combined Office and Parking in Houston?

editor

I received an interesting inquiry today from a city planner.

Hello,I\'m a planner for an edge city in the St. Louis, Missouri, metro area and we are looking for a good example of a combined parking garage/office building where the majority is the parking. One person here thought they had seen one in Houston, Texas, but nothing in your downtown archive looked familiar to them. Can you direct us to examples of such a building, where the bottom floors are parking garage and the top floor(s) are office? Your help would be greatly appreciated!

My first thought was the one on Lamar, but while it has retail on the ground floor, I don't remember it having offices on top.

Anyone know what he's talking about?

My first thought was the one on Lamar, but while it has retail on the ground floor, I don't remember it having offices on top.

I think one of the new structures on the west side of the TMC has many floors of parking with something like 4 floors of research and office space on the top. Could that be what he is referring to? (and now that I think about it, the TMC McGovern Common Building is primarily parking, with retail/restaurants on the bottom and office and restaurant space on top...)

Is that the former Tenneco parking building/cafeteria/gym?

I think so. I only know its more recent history as El Paso Networks and now it's Alpheus Communications.

But I think Alpheus Communications has offices up there now.

But isn't 2 Houston Center the same setup? Office on top, and parking underneath?

The most recent one I can think of is in the Texas Medical Center. When it was built about two years ago, it was 11 floors of parking and 4 floors of office space. The Baylor Clinic bought the facility and added a floor of office/lab space so that it is now 10 floors of parking and 5 of office space. You can see the new floor added in this photo (under the obvious top 4 floors that were originally the office part).

BaylorClinic_13.jpg

As for downtown, isn't the 20 story Chase Center over half parking? I know there's ground/tunnel retail and the top floors houses a data center but I thought that around 600,000 square feet of the 1.1 million in the building was for parking. Does anyone know for sure?

199188.jpg

Here's the Shepherd Place (7 floors of parking, 7 floors of office space)

198776.jpg

• Like 1

Heritage Plaza has the first 12 floors as a garage, 13 is sky lobby and 14-51 are office.

There is also a building off 59 near Shepard (across, and on the same side of 59, as Freebirds) that has several levels of parking with office space above it. It's probably a 12-15 story building, does anyone know about that one?

Yeah, the Wachovia/SouthTrust building thingy. That one has a neat parking setup.