1600 Smith: Office Skyscraper At 1600 Smith St.

SunKing

I just saw the lighting last night. I'm with the OP, I like and miss the blue but I like the white just as much, if not better. I mean the blue lighting was so dim you could barely see it anyway, not to mention, you couldn't even see the projected Continential Logo. For years i've been asking what the point was of even having the logo if it couldn't be seen.

My guess is the blue lighting was damaged by Ike. Possibly lenses that got blown off exposing the white sodium floods underneath.

Hopefully... I don't know why they could change it. The light was blue b/c it's Continental's building... it matched their logo. Why would they change that?

Watching Rockets on ESPN it shows the blue lighting is back on. I love the blue.

That might be stock footage. It was white on the way home.

I just wanted to know what everyone thinks of the new lighting on the crown of the Continential Building. Personally, i miss the blue lighting with the Continential logo but i still like the new lighting because its a little more pronounced. Does anyone know why they stopped the blue lighting?

I'll look the next time I am down that way. I loved the blue with the faint Continental logo imprinted inside.

• The title was changed to Downtown Office Tower At 1600 Smith St.
  • 4 months later...

https://therealdeal.com/texas/2022/11/01/brookfield-exploring-options-on-houstons-1600-smith/

Brookfield Properties is reportedly in the process of “mothballing” one of downtown Houston’s more iconic office towers, The Real Deal has learned.

New York-based Brookfield, the largest landlord in downtown Houston, is asking current tenants at 1600 Smith to move to one of the company’s other 11 properties in the city’s central business district. The plan is to figure out what to do with the 23,500 square-foot, 51-story office tower, a source familiar with the property told TRD.

Interesting.

1801 Smith is, I believe, another brookfield property- it’s the one currently being converted to multifamily. I wonder if they’re going to do a study with the DRA on converting this one- maybe multifamily and reno some of it to higher-end office space, like what they’re doing to Esperson. I feel like this side of DT needs more units. 1801 Smith is gonna help with that for sure. 

1600 Smith is a cool postmodern building. Even though I don’t always care for pomo architecture, I like the look of this one. It reminds me of something we’d make out of lego when we were kids ..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

It's hard to take the report of "mothballing" too seriously when they also tell us that the building is 23,500 square feet ..  I'm sorry, but anyone who could write that should not be reporting on commercial real estate matters.  They also tell us that "It (mothballing) is a fate that has already befallen some of the Bayou City’s other notable office towers"  with a link to a story about ONE building that was foreclosed and says nothing about any buildings  being mothballed.  <SMH>

To make matters even worse, they keep throwing out the word "mothball", but there doesn't seem to be any indication from Brookfield that they are "mothballing" is even one of the alternatives they are considering.  It seems some kind of repurposing would be considerably more likely. What a sad mish-mash of an article that was.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 4

• The title was changed to New Continental Building Lighting
  • The title was changed to 1600 Smith: Office Skyscraper At 1600 Smith St.