When Will Chrysler Mass Produce These?

Houston1stWordOnTheMoon

Supposedl the new Imperial was approved for production, but with any luck the new management will kill it. It is so ugly.

chrysler-imperial-2big.jpg

Yeah, I don't see why Chrysler needs a halo car like this when if they wanted a customer to step up to something more expensive you would hope they would shop from sister division Mercedes.

Yeah, I don't see why Chrysler needs a halo car like this when if they wanted a customer to step up to something more expensive you would hope they would shop from sister division Mercedes.

Because Diamler-Benz sold Chrysler to a private equity group yesterday?

Chrysler's problem isn't lack of a halo vehicle. It is that it is weak in the midsize segment and some of the new cars, like the Dodge Caliber, look like they were attacked with an ugly stick. You would think that the new owners would want to fix the problems first, rather than focus on wasteful image-building exercises like the Imperial. Of course, Volkswagen made the same mistake with the Phaeton, so who knows?

Because Diamler-Benz sold Chrysler to a private equity group yesterday?

Really, I wasn't aware of that. So is it American owned now? I figured it would be only a matter of time before Diamler Benz coughed up Chrysler like a hair ball.

It never seemed to be a correct fit to me. Kind of like when Packard bought Studebaker in the mid 50's. Or when Quaker Oats bought Snapple in the mid 90's. Packard paid for it with it's own soul. Quaker Oats lost billions and had to restructure itself after making that stupid purchase. I guess Diamler Benz wanted to cut it's losses before it bleed to death also. I hope this private equity firm gives it a chance and doesn't sell off assets one by one until Chrysler can't even afford to produce a product. That's what happened to Falstaff Brewery when it was bought by a private equity firm back in the 80's.

Being car guy I know the 300 is really called the "Working Mans Bentley". I rented one on vaction and it was actually pretty nice. There are TONS of them in Houston. The Imperial is in the same mode. Both do the imitation well. I dont know what gangster means in this case because I would view old chevys like Impalas and Caprices on 20" plus rims like that. Anything you would do a drive by in comes to mind...

Volkswagen screwed up on the Phaeton because it looked just like a Passat only about $50,000 more.

My choice for a cheaper high dollar ride is a 2003 and up Audi A8. $90,000 new $40,000 used and BEAUTIFUL.

If you really want a convertable 300 there are aftermarket shops that do them. You just have to do your homework or cross your fingers they do make one. Its becoming dated already though so the chance is slim.

I hope this private equity firm gives it a chance and doesn't sell off assets one by one until Chrysler can't even afford to produce a product.

I would assume their business plan is more than giving Chrysler a chance, but they probably wouldn't just sell off the assets and liquidate. At least immediately. They have their work cut out for them. Chrysler is basically a pension fund with a car manufacturing sideline. They will have to do some serious cost-cutting to change the economics.

I think Chysler has a knack for genius designs that stand out from the common car.

Well, their designs do stand out from the common car, but whether that constitutes genius is another matter..

That was rumored, but it is about the last thing GM needs. It would be like two drunks holding each other up.

Im not so sure. They are pretty comparable. Daimler and Chrysler are not and were not comparable. Daimler is a king of over priced autos latched with Chrysler and its popular line of reasonably priced autos. The Chrysler brand further ate into the Daimler bottom line, do to the less expensive brands. The 300 line is an example of that---now comes with a diesel engine for the EU market for far much less than anything in sedan form that Daimler has to offer. GM on the other hand, would be a good partner for CHrysler. The product offerings are within comparable scale of each other, price wise.

I know the A8 is good, but how long woud it last?

A used one, I mean.

Cars are a crap shoot and that goes for most cars. Why else would extended warrenties be so popular with new cars and sometimes worthless depending on what goes wrong. You need to research consumer reports and audi forums where car people post a lot and ask questions. If you see someone driving one ask them how they like it. You have to do homework before you buy a car new or used. Used most times depend on the previous owners maintainence records. Or a certified pre own if you buy from a lot.

Sometimes you get lucky and have a great car that you love, looks great, relieable, and feels good. Or you could have a nightmare but I would just sell it if I had a problem car...

Im not so sure. They are pretty comparable. Daimler and Chrysler are not and were not comparable. Daimler is a king of over priced autos latched with Chrysler and its popular line of reasonably priced autos. The Chrysler brand further ate into the Daimler bottom line, do to the less expensive brands. The 300 line is an example of that---now comes with a diesel engine for the EU market for far much less than anything in sedan form that Daimler has to offer. GM on the other hand, would be a good partner for CHrysler. The product offerings are within comparable scale of each other, price wise.

I see what you are saying, but since GM and Chrysler overlap so much, if GM were to buy Chrysler the outcome would just be to slash Chrysler's output and/or brands. Both makes already have too much capacity. The only asset that Chrysler has that would make sense for GM is Jeep.

Anyway, my assessment was wrong: it seems the Imperial is headed for production.

Link to Autoblog story

Supposedl the new Imperial was approved for production, but with any luck the new management will kill it. It is so ugly.

chrysler-imperial-2big.jpg

Its the "working mans Phantom". They have hit a stride with the popularity of the 300s Bentley look. It sold well so...

If you dont like that I doubt you like Bentleys

I have seen Bentleys, and this sir, is no Bentley. :lol:

imperial.jpg

The problem with a lot of Chrysler designs, including this one, is that they come off as too blunt or heavy-handed, and therefore appear chunky and not very refined. That said, I respect what they were doing with the 300 in trying to resurrect the proportions of traditional American sedans, primarily the longer hood and more upright windshield.

That is what Hummer was for, they are molding it into a Jeep competitor.

Sure, that's why GM copied the Jeep grill, but the Hummers also have negative connotations in the minds of some consumers, and Jeep is still a stronger brand name than Hummer.

the imperial looks even more ghetto-isable than the 300C. when the 300's first came out, i loved them until i saw a majority of them pimped out and sittin' on dubs. same thing with escalades. i actually cheered when morphious trashed an EXT in the matrix.

i do like the magnum, alot.

the imperial looks even more ghetto-isable than the 300C. when the 300's first came out, i loved them until i saw a majority of them pimped out and sittin' on dubs. same thing with escalades. i actually cheered when morphious trashed an EXT in the matrix.

i do like the magnum, alot.

WRD. EVERY 300 i see are on dubs :unsure: or spinners, lol.

not my style, i like modding for speed and looks, which i've done w/ my accord. but for a toy car i'd love to have a twin turbo supra B)

• The title was changed to When Will Chrysler Mass Produce These?

Archived