Houston Cougars!

texas911

Yes, they shut down the running game. That's USM, though. I was surprised Jackie Battle was shut down like he was.

It was a night to remember for all at UH

Recruits, take notice

Let the word go forth to recruits all over Texas. If you want to play for a coach who appreciates you, if you want to play for a program on the rise, if you want to live in one of America's great cities and enjoy a college experience, the University of Houston ought to be on your shopping list.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports...ce/4374045.html

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of which...

Since you like USM, what's the deal with the guy who carries the stick along the USM sidelines?

It looks like a walking cane or something, but he always holds it in the air.

I think those were the best seats I've ever had at any game, pro or college.

Speaking of which...

Since you like USM, what's the deal with the guy who carries the stick along the USM sidelines?

It looks like a walking cane or something, but he always holds it in the air.

I think those were the best seats I've ever had at any game, pro or college.

Was there a crossbar at the end of the stick? So it looked like a "T".

sorry this is late. how many people showed up at the rally MidtownCoog?

Dear UH Students:

YOUR Cougar Football team has won the 2006 Conference USA Championship and is heading to the Liberty Bowl! Thank you all for coming to the game Friday night and supporting YOUR HOME TEAM. Our crowd (31,818) was the largest crowd in Robertson Stadium history, and the student attendance was phenomenal. Your presence definitely made a difference at the game!

On Tuesday, Dec. 5th at 12:00 p.m., we are having a Conference Championship Celebration downtown at Hermann Square (just outside City Hall, which is located at 901 Bagby). Coach Briles, the team, the "Spirit of Houston" band, and Mayor Bill White will be in attendance for this special ceremony. Come out and cheer on the Coogs in appreciation for their first Conference USA Championship in 10 years!

The AutoZone Liberty Bowl will take place on Friday, Dec. 29th at 3:30 p.m. in Memphis, Tenn. YOUR Cougars are taking on the South Carolina Gamecocks from the SEC. We hope that many of you will make the trip to Memphis and cheer on YOUR Coogs. We are still in the process of finalizing our plans for student tickets and bus trips, so stay tuned. Be sure to check out our website, www.UHCougars.com, for all the latest information.

Again, thanks for your support on Friday and throughout this football season. Student attendance is at an all-time high this year and we appreciate each and every one of you. Hope that you can join us tomorrow at the championship celebration outside City Hall.

Is that KACoog and Hill to the right of the player?

Sweet!

Any of you Cougars on the board going to Memphis? I am in. I'll buy a few rounds of drinks!

I'm about 90% sure I'm going...it's just throwing a minor kink in my previous vacation plans. I was planning to be in Big Bend that day, but this is just a minor detour...my 1350-mile road trip just became a 2500-mile road trip.

Go Coogs! Deflate the Cocks! :o

It was cool to see Peter Brown speak. He's the new Councilman who's an Architect.

"And I am also a Cougar!" he screamed.

I didn't know that.

As far as Liberty, I think I'll be there. I was there in 96. I may acutally have to go solo, but what the heck. If you can't enjoy your own company who's comany can you enjoy?

As far as Liberty, I think I'll be there. I was there in 96. I may acutally have to go solo, but what the heck. If you can't enjoy your own company who's comany can you enjoy?

If you were there in '96 you know you won't be alone in Memphis. UH fans painted the town RED!

I remember we outnumbered Syracuse fans 3-1 in the stands and it seemed like we outnumbered 'em 10-1 on Beale Street! Even though Syracuse won the game, you couldn't find an Orangemen fan anywhere on Beale Street.

But UH fans were EVERYWHERE! It was a blast...I'm looking forward to this trip. I think my 90% just jumped up to 99.999%

I've got a question for you "coog" fans out there. Why is the "shocker" your school's chosen hand gesture?

Okay I graduated from U of H in 1981 and all these many years I believed that the gesture was to signify a cougar paw or U H. That was till I was reading the U of H Atheletic website and read the history and derivation of the gesture. It seems that one year in the pre SWC days U of H traveled to Austin to play the Longhorns. They lost that game and while putting Shasta back in her cage the door of the cage fell basically chopping off one of her toes. The next year or a couple of years later when UT came to Houston, U of H beat UT and someone (probably one of Shasta's keepers) came up with the idea of that game being Shasta's revenge for getting her toe chopped off in Austin. So they held up their hand with the part of one finger missing to signify Shasta's lost toe. The sign stuck and they have used it every since.

Okay I graduated from U of H in 1981 and all these many years I believed that the gesture was to signify a cougar paw or U H. That was till I was reading the U of H Atheletic website and read the history and derivation of the gesture. It seems that one year in the pre SWC days U of H traveled to Austin to play the Longhorns. They lost that game and while putting Shasta back in her cage the door of the cage fell basically chopping off one of her toes. The next year or a couple of years later when UT came to Houston, U of H beat UT and someone (probably one of Shasta's keepers) came up with the idea of that game being Shasta's revenge for getting her toe chopped off in Austin. So they held up their hand with the part of one finger missing to signify Shasta's lost toe. The sign stuck and they have used it every since.

The story that I like the best is much more simple:

Take the UT-Austin "hook 'em horns" sign (index and pinky fingers raised), and simply extend the middle finger!

Interesting... I always heard a slightly different version than that. Here's how the story I was always told went:

One year, back in the pre-SWC days, Houston traveled to Austin to play UT. The accident which cost Shasta her toe occurred before the game as they were unloading the cage from the van (or bus, i can't remember) it was loaded in. Someone with the UT football team found out about it and told the team so, as they mercilessly pummeled us, they mocked us by flashing the sign at us the entire game. It was a loss never to be forgotten by UH fans. The sign became a rallying point, and the next time UT and UH played (here in Houston, in UH's first year of the SWC), UH fans and players flashed the sign the whole game, as UH utterly destroyed the Longhorns.

Archived