Houston Cougars!

texas911

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting... I always heard a slightly different version than that. Here's how the story I was always told went:

One year, back in the pre-SWC days, Houston traveled to Austin to play UT. The accident which cost Shasta her toe occurred before the game as they were unloading the cage from the van (or bus, i can't remember) it was loaded in. Someone with the UT football team found out about it and told the team so, as they mercilessly pummeled us, they mocked us by flashing the sign at us the entire game. It was a loss never to be forgotten by UH fans. The sign became a rallying point, and the next time UT and UH played (here in Houston, in UH's first year of the SWC), UH fans and players flashed the sign the whole game, as UH utterly destroyed the Longhorns.

This is the version I've heard as well. In fact, I think I read it in some UH publication back in the 1990s.

Seems like a smart move for a QB.

I never understood kids who go to UT just to warm the bench.

Snead was one of the top QBs coming out of HS in the NATION, not just Texas.

Nobody expected Colt to become a Heisman frontrunner his first year, and make no mistake about it, without injury, he WAS one of the best QB's in the country, no doubt about it. Not only numbers wise, but he brought the same type of leadership skills VY left behind.

Anyway, don't mean to turn this into an argument on how good he really was, but all that to say that Jevean probably went to UT thinking he would start in a year or two.

Now the guy who's gonna replace Colt in the bowl game, you could say that about him. He's ridden the bench for five years and nobody even knew who he was until he was their only option.

Nobody expected Colt to become a Heisman frontrunner his first year, and make no mistake about it, without injury, he WAS one of the best QB's in the country, no doubt about it. Not only numbers wise, but he brought the same type of leadership skills VY left behind.

I think you're going a little overboard linking McCoy to the Heisman. Brady Quinn, Darren McFadden, and Troy Smith were the only names ever mentioned this year. McCoy couldn't even be found in the top 10 vote getters.

I think you're going a little overboard linking McCoy to the Heisman. Brady Quinn, Darren McFadden, and Troy Smith were the only names ever mentioned this year. McCoy couldn't even be found in the top 10 vote getters.

Of course he wasn't in the top anything in voting. Why? He got hurt. I'm talking about if he hadn't got hurt.

Look at any major sports website and they had him ranked in the top five before he got hurt the first time.

Just Google "Colt Mccoy Heisman" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Of course he wasn't in the top anything in voting. Why? He got hurt. I'm talking about if he hadn't got hurt.

Look at any major sports website and they had him ranked in the top five before he got hurt the first time.

Just Google "Colt Mccoy Heisman" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Please, he only missed one game. He was declared 100% for the Aggie game.

Please, he only missed one game. He was declared 100% for the Aggie game.

Ok, don't google "colt mccoy heisman"

Whether you want to admit it or not, he was a heisman candidate. And up to that point, his stats were better than quinns, and just as good as Troy Smiths.

-----

no...nm. I'll do the dirty work for you guys. Consider these:

"As just a redshirt freshman McCoy was a serious Heisman contender in early November before he was injured and he should be ready for an even better season in 2007." aol sports

"Heisman contender this year until the worst quarterback sneak in college history, because it well might have kept Texas out of the BCS title game." (speaking of Colt of course) oxford press

"If Texas isn't going to beat the Colt McCoy for Heisman drum, I'm just going to have to do it myself"

sports illustrated

"4. Colt McCoy, Texas, QB, Fr"

Sports Illustrated Heisman ranking one week

"Snead lost the battle for starting quarterback to Colt McCoy, who was getting consideration for Heisman Trophy votes before suffering a stinger in the first quarter of a loss at Kansas State"

foxsports.com

"redshirt freshman quarterback is hearing his name as a dark-horse

candidate for the Heisman Trophy."

espn.com

I could find more, but I think this is sufficient.

Greetings UH fans! A USC Gamecock alum and fan here.

Interesting (for me, anyway) that these 2 teams are meeting in a bowl game this year. I just moved to Houston in August, and have been to several UH games this season. My future father-in-law is a UH alum (and season ticket holder), and played on their football team during their early 70's heyday. So, I've been able to do a bit of advance scouting for the Gamecocks... ;)

This promises to be a hell of a good game. 2 very good coaches with 2 very good offensive teams. Probably one of those "last team with the ball will win" type of games. Should be one of the better non-BCS bowls, in my opinion. UH has some incredible speed on both sides of the ball, a very good QB, and they spread out the field on offense. South Carolina has a good (underrated) ground game, surprising for a Spurrier-coached team. Our QB Blake Mitchell is OK, but is usually good for at least a pick or 2 every game. I look for USC to line up and attempt to run it at y'all a lot.

Wish I could make it to Memphis, but I'll be visiting family in SC. So, what are your thoughts on the game from a UH perspective?

Yep, a great game. I'm glad the Gamecocks came out on top, but UH gave us a heck of a game as I thought they would. Again, awesome speed for the Coogs, esp. on offense. Looked like the tape was running at 2x speed when Aldridge and Marshall had the ball. Makes me feel good that we held a high-octane offense to only 8 points in the second half.

Now, I can go back to pulling for the Coogs. Good luck next year, and GO GAMECOCKS!

• 1 month later...

Archived