Dallas Center for the Performing Arts

TexasStar

The last rendering with the buildings surrounding the church looks nice. Even with the buildings perched on top of the parking garages, looks as though the designers paid close attention to creating a nice plaza/park ares in the triangular portion.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it looks similar to most low rise offices. I wouldn't guess it had anything to do with performing arts.

This development falls in the Arts District Area and zoning boundaries. These three buildings are at the end of the Flora street that will connect One and Two Arts at one end to the Dallas Museum of Art. Along the way you will pass the Dallas performing arts center, Wyly Theater, Winspear Opera House, Nasher, Trammel Crow etc. All of this in walking distance. So there will not be any theaters in these office buildings but they are part of the Arts district.

This development falls in the Arts District Area and zoning boundaries. These three buildings are at the end of the Flora street that will connect One and Two Arts at one end to the Dallas Museum of Art. Along the way you will pass the Dallas performing arts center, Wyly Theater, Winspear Opera House, Nasher, Trammel Crow etc. All of this in walking distance. So there will not be any theaters in these office buildings but they are part of the Arts district.

I just read the article posted that said "booming arts district" and then saw the pics that were posted of mid/low rises. Seeing those pics in no way made me think "booming arts district" it just made me think business center alongthe freeway. Were the museums you referenced shown in the initial pics?

I just read the article posted that said "booming arts district" and then saw the pics that were posted of mid/low rises. Seeing those pics in no way made me think "booming arts district" it just made me think business center alongthe freeway. Were the museums you referenced shown in the initial pics?

Some perspective

OAP1.gif

OAP2.jpg

img3828xu8.jpg

How could you say that isn't booming?

It's booming. There are seven cranes. That fulfills the "booming" element for me.

It's named an "arts district." Whether you can tell from the freeway that something is an arts district is an odd way of determining something is an arts distict. I'm not sure Houston's Arts District is noticiably an "arts district" either while driving by. Who cares? They're both called "arts districts." Not every building is going to have art in it. Instead, it just means that there is a high concentration of museums/thearters in the area. In Dallas' arts district, they're building an opera house and a theater. That fulfills the "arts district" element for me. They're also building mid-rise offices. (Low rise is 4 stories and below).

The office buildings shown above, are in the arts district. That doesn't mean that they have art in them. That just means they're in the district. Hence the use of the term "DISTRICT." There are non-musuem and non-theater buildings in Houston's arts district. But the office buildings in Houston's arts district don't look like "art buildings" either. And by the criteria of driving by at 60 mph, I'm not sure we could ever tell one district from another.

It's booming. There are seven cranes. That fulfills the "booming" element for me.

I didn't say it wasn't booming. I said that I couldn't tell it was an arts district or just any business center near the freeway from the pictures that were posted. that's all. for me not posting those particular pics would have left more to my imagination

It's named an "arts district." Whether you can tell from the freeway that something is an arts district is an odd way of determining something is an arts distict. I'm not sure Houston's Arts District is noticiably an "arts district" either while driving by. Who cares? They're both called "arts districts." Not every building is going to have art in it. Instead, it just means that there is a high concentration of museums/thearters in the area. In Dallas' arts district, they're building an opera house and a theater. That fulfills the "arts district" element for me. They're also building mid-rise offices. (Low rise is 4 stories and below).

Again the pictures posted didn't look like anything out of the ordinary being built in most cities. The posted pictures just didn't go with the story for me. I understand the use of the term district. I didn't say every building is going to have art in it. Calling in an art district would be fine to me the pictures just didn't make me think that. Showing pics of the museums/galleries/theaters would have given me more of a visual

The office buildings shown above, are in the arts district. That doesn't mean that they have art in them. That just means they're in the district. Hence the use of the term "DISTRICT." There are non-musuem and non-theater buildings in Houston's arts district. But the office buildings in Houston's arts district don't look like "art buildings" either. And by the criteria of driving by at 60 mph, I'm not sure we could ever tell one district from another.

I never said the anything about theater vs non theater buildings. I didn't say all art district buildings should look like "art buildings". The pictures didn't do the article any justice. as for "And by the criteria of driving by at 60 mph, I'm not sure we could ever tell one district from another.", that is my point, the pictures don't do any justice to the arts district.[/quote]

I believe there is a plan to cover the freeway in that section and put greenery on top.

see that should have been in the pic.

Everytime I look at those renderings I fall a little more inlove. I'll definately have to make a trip as soon as they are done.

The Renderings of the office buildings looks like it would be the same architect of those buildings along Sam Houston & Belway 8 (in Westchase)... but the actual picture of it shows the glass is a little bit of a darker blue. It looks great!

Everytime I look at those renderings I fall a little more inlove. I'll definately have to make a trip as soon as they are done.

The Renderings of the office buildings looks like it would be the same architect of those buildings along Sam Houston & Belway 8 (in Westchase)... but the actual picture of it shows the glass is a little bit of a darker blue. It looks great!

You know, the building designs do remind you of the architecture in the Westchase District, particular around BMC and so forth. Looks like Dallas will have a more happening district once everything is in place.

Well said!

I hope that the neighborhood lives up to its billing. No doubt the celebrity-architect designed venues will be spectacular, but the real test will come in how well this "district" is a true place for the people and the arts.

Will it just be a place people pass through on their way to "spectacular" venues, or will it be a place where individuals are inspired to explore and express art on their own?.

Only time will tell, but I think for a truly great "arts district" all styles of arts and artists must be accommodated - I hope Dallas will follow through.

I for one love that the Arts District is tucked between downtown and Uptown. That way it will feel like part of the city as opposed to a "district" removed from the rest of town, like Fair Park or Fort Worth's Cultural District. I was anti-park-over Woodall Rogers, but now that I've seen renderings of the finished product, I'm all for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some information and models of the "third venue," the City Performance Hall. The architect is SOM. It will contain 2-3 blackbox theaters and 1 large performance hall at a budget of $38M, meeting the needs of the 70 or so small performing arts groups that will use the space.The design standards are high (it will sit at the entryway of the Arts District) and must complement the Nasher, Meyerson, new Opera House and Theater. It should break ground mid-2008 and be finished by 2010.

Here is the first phase of the hall:

PHASE ONE

Here is the completed hall:

COMPLETED HALL 1

COMPLETED HALL 2

Other:

OTHER IMAGES

Is there a firm start date for that project? Looks really cool.

No firm start date as of yet. However, the voters just recently approved (last November) the bonds that will be used to fund the City's portion of the project. Additionally, February 20th the development team will hold an open house/input meeting with Uptown residents to discuss issues affecting their neighborhood, and to get an idea of what design elements/amenities they'd like to see in the park. It's all being discussed here.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Slideshow: Dallas' arts center builds to a crescendo

The Dallas Center for the Performing Arts site is punctuated by the aluminum-pipe-clad box of the Wyly Theatre and the striking red drum of the Winspear Opera House.

Seven months from opening, the Dallas Center for the Performing Arts site is punctuated by the aluminum-pipe-clad box of the Wyly Theatre (above left). Our photographers give you a closer look.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...performingarts/

Archived