• Midtown
    • Uptown
    • Westchase
    • Greenway Plaza
    • Upper Kirby
    • Historic Main Street
    • TXDot (Clearview)
    • none... I stick with the standardized signs

So far much different parts of Houston over the past number of years have renovated itself. This also includes street signange. I like how the city allowed its smaller portions of itself to diversify itself with different signs and throwing out the standard of just having plain looking street signs. Even TXDot is slowly throwing out the Highway Gothic signs for the new Clearview font. So whic parts of town did a good job of having one of the best new designs of street signage to go along with its newfound identity??

All pics from wikipedia unless noted

DOWNTOWN A.K.A. CBD A.K.A SKYLINE DISTRICT (look to the right)

Pic by Montrose1100

160bhpy.jpg

MIDTOWN

448px-Midtownsigna.JPG

UPTOWN (oval shaped street signs and the ring around the intersection)

800px-UptownHoustonIntersection.JPG

WESTCHASE

800px-WestchaseHoustonSign.JPG

GREENWAY PLAZA

GreenwayStreetSign.JPG

UPPER KIRBY

800px-UpperKirby.JPG

HISTORIC MAIN STREET (ignore Metrorail and look at the signal pole :lol: ). They could be HISTORIC DOWNTOWN’s street signs if I’m proven wrong.

MetroRail.jpg

TXDOT and the new Clearview font on the Big Green Monsters :lol: Bye bye Highway Gothic.

Pic by Max Concrete

IMG_1624_10w_at_grand_parkway_2006-08-12.jpg

Or do U still like to stick with the regular street signs such as this:

Pics by Gary

DSC_0275.jpg

and this:

DSC_0448.jpg

Edited by DaTrain

I actually like the Westchase street signs a great deal. The white lettering is easy to see at night or day, especially against the black background.

The Greenway Plaza signs are nice from a general asthetics point of view.

The Uptown overhanging street signs are garrish and spectacular but far too impractical for most intersections.

The lettering on the Midtown street signs (as well as in the Main Street corridor) is a bit too small, IMO.

Agreed, but the art deco signs of Uptown are clearly KICKARSE ! :lol:

I didn't see any examples of the streetsigns in Chinese. Rather surprising.

I don't care for the street signs in uptown, they are just too much - and I figure eventually one will fall and kill someone.

I think the Weschase signs probably do the best job of providing information easily to drivers.

Uptown signs are as unique as they come. Never seen them anywhere else. I used to live in that area and would always find myself admiring them while sitting in traffic. Had friends down from Chicago who thought they were pretty cool. In fact, they'd fit right in Millenium Park if anyone has been there. They go well with the chrome artdeco streetlamps as well

So if $10K is all it costs, then I say add more of them! It adds to the city's image.

Houston would also look great with the lighted white on green street signs in some other cities...I think I've seen them in Vegas and/or Orlando.

None really stand out.

What does stand out is the fact that this city has an identity crisis.

Why the need for a new sign in every little area?

This must be some scam by the same people who created NoDo.

I agree that there appears to be some sort of municipal need to identfy our "big city named districts" and the diverse signage seems to reflect that but, on the other hand, they kind of are like street-level lines on the map that can help to loosely define imaginary boundaries in the vast clusterfudge that is Houston. At the same time the boundaries polarize groups. We end up with bunches of groups watching out for their own interests and giving City Hall more groups to answer to. I'm not complaining, I think it works fine, but flying over the US you realize that Kansas only exists on paper.

Before they add more signs, I think they should first correct the "Theatre District" signs over near Minute Maid.

I say the standard ones. The diversity in street signs just looks gaudy and like they're trying too hard to be "different"

As far as the ones that light up, Beaumont is suppossed to be changing to them, although the transition has been VERY slow, with then only being up at two intersections of a street extension that was finished last year.

• 2 weeks later...
Uptown's signs are totally impressive. Yes they are expensive.... but this is the energy capital of the world. We can afford it. B)

I don't know if this has ever been addressed, but what's up with this post ^^^showing up as unread. It's dated Sep 14th, it's happend before just curious if anyone knows why. Or is it just me :wacko:

I don't know if this has ever been addressed, but what's up with this post ^^^showing up as unread. It's dated Sep 14th, it's happend before just curious if anyone knows why. Or is it just me :wacko:

I think the last post in a poll thread shows up as "unread" every time someone votes in the poll.

WESTCHASE

800px-WestchaseHoustonSign.JPG

I am still having a hard time with this BS Westchase district.

Maybe after they install the canals, they will have some sort of identity, but as far as I see it, it is just some waste of tax, dollars. :ph34r:

Uptown did it right, and that is where my vote goes! :P

i like the standard signs and prefer to have the intersection street

signs near the overhead signals (like in your last shot of taft @

westheimer) with the block numbers on it.

i'm not much for the branding of street signs with the logos and

special colors. being able to just see them at a quick glance

without a bunch of other graphics or formats is the most helpful.

I like all of the surface street signs except Westchase (can we say 1985?), but BOOOOOO to TxDOT for changing its standard font. The old FHWA font is uniquely American, attractive, bold, art-deco, conveys movement, etc. Clearview just looks dead, and it's harder to read.

what did the old ones look like? i never noticed a change in those big green signs.

what did the old ones look like? i never noticed a change in those big green signs.

You have to really take a close look to see the difference. The newer ones have a shade of green that is more intense and the font is slightly different.

I think the ideal district-specific street sign would be a combination of the Upper Kirby signs and the new I-10 backlit signs, in that new freeway font.

Maybe the North Main district could have backlit purple or blue signs at the major intersections, with the words "North Main" written sideways up the side. (The other signs in the neighborhood would be the regular green ones.)

In terms of visual impact per dollar spent, I think it might be worth it, or at least worth looking into.

I am still having a hard time with this BS Westchase district.

Maybe after they install the canals, they will have some sort of identity, but as far as I see it, it is just some waste of tax, dollars.

Uptown did it right, and that is where my vote goes! :P

What makes the Westchase District BS?

I was under the impression that donations from area businesses paid for those signs which were purchased and installed by the Westchase Development District. If your tax dollars were spent, certainly more went to those wacky halos over Uptown.

I'd have to say I like the light-posts & signs in the Enclave around the Briarforest/Eldridge area the most.