• Uptown
    • Westchase
    • Greenway Plaza
    • Upper Kirby
    • Historic Main Street
    • TXDot (Clearview)
    • none... I stick with the standardized signs

What makes the Westchase District BS?

I was under the impression that donations from area businesses paid for those signs which were purchased and installed by the Westchase Development District. If your tax dollars were spent, certainly more went to those wacky halos over Uptown.

I'd have to say I like the light-posts & signs in the Enclave around the Briarforest/Eldridge area the most.

Most of these flashy signs are paid for by Management Districts, which have been created by the state legislature and authorized to levy a tax on a specific neighborhood...even then, those taxes typically only apply to commercial properties.

So yes, we are talking about tax dollars. But odds are that they aren't yours.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
How do you folks like the new Japanese-themed signs at Bellaire and Fondren? I find them to be very impressive. Some rich family should start a nonprofit foundation to convert more intersections to this design.

Interesting, do you any pictures?

I'll snap some next time I visit Sharpstown Mall. :)

Oh, you're talking about the Chinese language signs, you had me fooled there for a second. Yes, I know those, they are all around the new Chinatown... (If there was one area where you would put up Japanese language signs, then it would be the Westheimer@Wilcrest area... )

Oh, you're talking about the Chinese language signs, you had me fooled there for a second. Yes, I know those, they are all around the new Chinatown... (If there was one area where you would put up Japanese language signs, then it would be the Westheimer@Wilcrest area... )

Nonono, not the Chinese-language signs. I'm talking about the Bellaire/Fondren intersection -- the traffic lights have been completely redone with a Japanese motif, and are very impressive. I'll upload pictures when I get home tonight.

Edited by desirous

Here we go:

CIMG2790.jpg

Thank you! Looks nice, but no Japanese writing (but then in Japan streets have no names, so there wouldn't be street signs to begin with). Since I am in Japan right now, when I get to it, I'll post a picture of a Japanese intersection :lol:

I meant the design motif; the endposts look very much like 障子(shoji). Where in Japan are you? :P

Oh I see, although I guess I will have to see for myself when I get back to Houston... anyways, right now I am in suburban Osaka.