Why Zidane head-butted Mazeratti

DJ V Lawrence

Materazzi insulted Zidane's sister

ROME (AP) -- Italy's Marco Materazzi said he insulted Zinedine Zidane's sister, revealing nearly two months after the World Cup final what provoked the French star to head-butt him in the chest.

In Tuesday's interview with the Gazzetta dello Sport, Materazzi disclosed that after he held his opponent's shirt, Zidane said: "If you want, I'll give you the jersey later."

"I responded that I preferred his sister, it's true," Materazzi said. "It wasn't something nice, true. But luckily there have been dozens of players who have confirmed that a lot worse things are said on the field."

Zidane was sent off after receiving a red card for the head-butt. Italy went on to win on penalty kicks.

Materazzi received a two-game ban for the July 9 incident and will miss Wednesday's rematch of the final, a 2008 European Championship qualifier. Zidane received a three-match suspension, but he retired after the World Cup.

Materazzi said that the Italian federation, in the middle of a match-fixing scandal, told him not to complain about the incident during a FIFA hearing.

"If accepting without raising my voice was the price to pay for having brought home the World Cup, I'm pretty happy to have paid it," Materazzi said.

Asked if the two could make peace, Materazzi said: "You sign a peace (agreement) after terrible wars, so why can't Zidane and I make peace?

"A peace among men, without a lot of publicity. The door to my house will always be open for that. And if Zidane wants, he knows where to find my address."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SOC...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

Freaking girly-man game.

Then what would that make you and me? Soccer players are in better shape than any other type of athlete. Try running up and down a 100 yard field for 3 hours. Basketball players can be compared but they still get more breaks and the court is much smaller than a soccer field.

It's the quote I am making fun of. Read it again:

"luckily there have been dozens of players who have confirmed that a lot worse things are said on the field..."

Ooo! Words! From "dozens of players".

That's why I love football. No words necessary. Just sanctioned violence with no excuses necessary!

It's the quote I am making fun of. Read it again:

Ooo! Words! From "dozens of players".

That's why I love football. No words necessary. Just sanctioned violence with no excuses necessary!

Wow! There's no trash-talking in the NFL?

I love it how people knock on soccer as the only sport where people flop on the field or where referees make bad calls. As if they've never seen players from other sports do the same. Remember John Stockton? Or remember the amount of times you'd watch a game where the referee called something, and you had to use a "replay" to catch it?

I LOVE American sports, but let's not try to cheat ourselves. We claim to love the NFL for it's "sanctioned violence", but we Americans don't watch rugby, which is far more violent. And we claim our national champions are "world champions" after beating other teams in the NATIONAL football league, NATIONAL basketball association, NATIONAL hockey league, and "World" Series, where the NATIONAL league and AMERICAN league face off.

And we claim to have the best basketball and baseball in the world when Greece beats our best in basketball, and Japan wins the World championship in baseball. There's little question that we have the best NFL-style football in the world, but how other countries are playing? CFL...NFL Europe...American arena football...who else?

I'm with Midtown Coog in that I love the NFL. That being said, how did our media get it twisted in the 90's by calling an NFL team "America's Team"? WTF? When did the Dallas Cowboys ever beat Brazil?

Rugby is not more violent than football. You're telling me two unpadded people running into each other is less violent than a head on collision between two cars?

And we do have the best basketball and baseball. I'm pretty sure you follow sports, and you know the difference between the NBA's best and the team we sent to the world championships. I'm sure you understand how the real MLB all-stars go to Japan each year and whoop up on Japan. I'm sure you can search google and see there are professional football leagues all over the world.

AND FOR GOODNESS SAKES, even in Latin America many refer to the US as America. You're reading a little too much into silly media iterations. One could find these anywhere.

World Championship of Basketball? One that doesn't include who they don't want and has to have invited teams to qualify based on meaningless exhibitions? Formula 1 deems itself a world circuit even back in its beginnings, when it was until very recently and the boring tracks, a mostly European championship? Then they crown their driver as winning the world driver's championship? Nevermind the hundreds of other circuits. GB's constant claims of things being the world's greatest, world's biggest, etc, etc.

Materazzi insulted Zidane's sister

ROME (AP) -- Italy's Marco Materazzi said he insulted Zinedine Zidane's sister, revealing nearly two months after the World Cup final what provoked the French star to head-butt him in the chest.

In Tuesday's interview with the Gazzetta dello Sport, Materazzi disclosed that after he held his opponent's shirt, Zidane said: "If you want, I'll give you the jersey later."

"I responded that I preferred his sister, it's true," Materazzi said. "It wasn't something nice, true. But luckily there have been dozens of players who have confirmed that a lot worse things are said on the field."

Zidane was sent off after receiving a red card for the head-butt. Italy went on to win on penalty kicks.

Materazzi received a two-game ban for the July 9 incident and will miss Wednesday's rematch of the final, a 2008 European Championship qualifier. Zidane received a three-match suspension, but he retired after the World Cup.

Materazzi said that the Italian federation, in the middle of a match-fixing scandal, told him not to complain about the incident during a FIFA hearing.

"If accepting without raising my voice was the price to pay for having brought home the World Cup, I'm pretty happy to have paid it," Materazzi said.

Asked if the two could make peace, Materazzi said: "You sign a peace (agreement) after terrible wars, so why can't Zidane and I make peace?

"A peace among men, without a lot of publicity. The door to my house will always be open for that. And if Zidane wants, he knows where to find my address."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SOC...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

I still can't believe Zidane would end his brilliant career on this note. And in front of a global audience. He will forever be remembered around the world for that famous lack of judgement. I don't care what anyone says..... The man is supposed to be a role model. Instead it's anger management school for him.

Rugby is not more violent than football. You're telling me two unpadded people running into each other is less violent than a head on collision between two cars?

And we do have the best basketball and baseball. I'm pretty sure you follow sports, and you know the difference between the NBA's best and the team we sent to the world championships. I'm sure you understand how the real MLB all-stars go to Japan each year and whoop up on Japan. I'm sure you can search google and see there are professional football leagues all over the world.

AND FOR GOODNESS SAKES, even in Latin America many refer to the US as America. You're reading a little too much into silly media iterations. One could find these anywhere.

World Championship of Basketball? One that doesn't include who they don't want and has to have invited teams to qualify based on meaningless exhibitions? Formula 1 deems itself a world circuit even back in its beginnings, when it was until very recently and the boring tracks, a mostly European championship? Then they crown their driver as winning the world driver's championship? Nevermind the hundreds of other circuits. GB's constant claims of things being the world's greatest, world's biggest, etc, etc.

Rugby's not more violent than football?! Imagine football with no pads, more contact, MUCH more blood, and constant action for 90 minutes and endurance needed with no time-outs. The only thing football players have that's more difficult than rugby is heavy equipment...meant to keep players safe. Rugby is football+soccer+UFC.

And we have to BEAT Japan and Greece when it counts in order to call ourselves the world champions of baseball and basketball. It's like calling the Indianapolis Colts the best team in the NFL last year. Sure, they had a great team and great QB, but the Pittsburg Steelers won the national championship, making them the best. That's why we play the game. Being the best has nothing to do with the most talented or who makes the most money. Being the best has to do with WINNING. Sure, our MLB teams whoop up on Japan's teams occasionally, and the U.S. were beating teams by 40-50 points during this past world championships, but what about when it actually counts and when we are playing for the title we think we deserve?

I think American football will eventually be big enough to have it's own world championship tournament, but could we really live with the possibility of having another country calling themselves the best in our game? That alone is probably enough for the NFL to want to keep the national title the way it is (plus the fact that the owners wouldn't want their stars getting hurt in non-NFL games).

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh, that's boring.

Don Leonardo called him a terrorist.

You guys have to remember that America is the World.

Also, I'd like to see the world guard our A list. And I mean Kobe, and McGrady, and Garnett. I'm fine with Lebron, Carmelo, and Wade.

If the NBA was so bad, why do players come into the league from other countries? Americans only go to Europe because they cound't crack it on an NBA Roster.

Ahh, that's boring.

Don Leonardo called him a terrorist.

You guys have to remember that America is the World.

Also, I'd like to see the world guard our A list. And I mean Kobe, and McGrady, and Garnett. I'm fine with Lebron, Carmelo, and Wade.

If the NBA was so bad, why do players come into the league from other countries? Americans only go to Europe because they cound't crack it on an NBA Roster.

Kobe, McGrady, and Garnett could have played, but the fact that they didn't represent America in the World Championships doesn't take away from the fact that America lost to Greece. The guys that actually decided to play for our country deserve all the credit in the world for showing up. Who knows...maybe in the next major championships, we'll see them.

No one's saying the NBA is bad, by the way. The best basketball players in the world tend to want to come to NBA because we offer WAY more money than any other basketball league. Same with baseball, ice hockey, and America's NFL. Let's see how many talented basketball stars would jump ship once some gunho league overseas started offering $1 billion a year to their best players before the NBA did.

That's kinda why some of America's major sports leagues call their champions "World Champions". Simply have the best talent in the world in your league, and call it a night. All of a sudden, it's a crime to be a national champion in America. To be the man, you gotta beat the man, yo. PROVE you're the best by beating the world, not just cities in one continent, yo.

Back to Zidane, I wonder if he'll ever get into coaching. He's currently the most famous fighting Frenchman I know. I take that back. Zidane's the ONLY famous fighting Frenchman I know. Maybe he can take that shiny head and use it to lead France back into the semi-finals in a future World Cup?

You guys are trying to compare a team that was put together a few weeks before the World Championship as opposed to a team that has been together for a decade. Apples and Oranges, Apples and Oranges. Cohesiveness in basketball wins games NOT individual talent. IMO ! Instead of putting together a team, we ought to send our NBA Champions to the World Finals. See just how ugly that would get, or maybe even our second place NBA team.

• 4 months later...

Archived