Houston In The 1970s

cjlewis610

My one and only encounter with the WIBC happened in an "indirect" way ten years ago. In 2004 my brother and I were driving back to Texas from Nebraska, and we decided Wichita Kansas would be a good place to stop and spend the night. To our surprise and dismay, the WIBC had taken over Wichita for its annual national bowling tournament.

Thousands of lady bowlers were in town, and every hotel and motel was stuffed full with them. No vacancies anywhere. We finally gave up on Wichita and kept going south till we finally found a motel with ONE VACANCY in the small town of Wellington, about 25 miles south of Wichita. The clerk told us we were lucky to get it because the previous tenants -- two lady bowlers -- had just checked out and it was the only vacancy in that entire town.

Yessiree. Bowling is big in Kansas.

Edited by FilioScotia

• 4 months later...

Interesting. He wasn't in any hurry to get through that explanation.

You're right. The original is even slower, I edited the sound track to get the guy to come to point, a lot of slow folksy talking to seem more trust worthy, I guess. Or maybe we can just process information a lot faster now.

I'm surprised that the company name behind the three brands was Humble Oil and Refining and not Eastern States Standard Oil or Standard Oil of New Jersey.

The reason for that is because although Jersey Standard (Esso) gradually bought more and more of Humble, when they finally merged in the '60s Humble ended up being the survivor entity for some reason or another.  A bunch of other entities were also swept up in that merger - Enjay, etc.

Ah, yes... HouTran.  Hastily assembled by the city from the debris of Rapid Transit Lines, saddled with old and poorly maintained busses.  The first referendum to create Houston Area Rapid Transit Authority may have failed, but the disaster that was HouTran had a lot to do with the METRO referendum passing right about the same time as this video.

• 11 months later...

Could you possibly be thinking of the Texas Opry House that was in a former supermarket at 1416 Richmond?  It was going when PPL was at its peak.

I was going to suggest the same because with the exception of a handful of small clubs and bars I'm not remembering any dance halls on Alabama in the Montrose area. Went to a lot of concerts at the Opry. Might have even seen PPL there. Would have been the perfect venue for them. Such a long time ago,  I remember many late nights there ending up at the Harvest Moon Cafe a few blocks away. 

• 9 months later...

Being born here in Houston back in 53, I grew up during this time era and experienced many of the concerts and or locations.  Was an attendee of the 1969 Texas International Pop Festival where I turned 16 on 8-31, second day of the festival.  Brings back loads of memories.  Savoy Brown at Liberty Hall photo.

img890.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I hazily recall a place called "The Sweetheart of Texas Saloon" right there on Richmond. Went there a few times in mid 70s. I want to say that we saw Wheatfield/St.Elmos there.

Does that ring a bell with anybody?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

This year is the 50th anniversary of Dallas Pop aka Texas International Pop Festival.  I'd like to talk with attendees who might

consent to a video interview regarding their time there.  I shot 16mm film of the festival ...which Has Never Been Released.

Contact me directly...without delay.

sprokethead@comcast

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I remember hanging out at Hippie Hill very well. We used to ride our bikes from Sharpstown and for obvious reasons would try to get someone to put our bikes in the back if the car for the ride home.  I was was at Milby Park the day it got busted but had left before the bust hitching a ride back with some Hira Kristna ( sp?) back to Hill . I also attended the Montrose Block party.  Also 11 th pool hall in Heights . Evangelistic temple . Some place called the chimney on Westheimer that may have been before then.  I was too young to get into the clubs in early 70's. Although I remember trying to get into Love Street  would love to see some film of those days

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2006 at 10:27 AM, TJones said:

I wonder if I could find some Duane Allenson art around town now. Maybe on Ebay, or something, or if anyone has any Allenson art they would like to part with ?

btw, Duane is the one who did all the Family Hand art.

Who is Duane allenson?  I was owner at family hand and don’t remember him.  Please advise.  I will look on eBay now.  

• 1 year later...

Who is old enough to remember the Mykawa Train Explosion in Oct of 71?

We lived on Bronson Street, behind the neighborhood was Fire Station 51, several of the fireman lived in our neighborhood, Mr. Bennett and Mr. Taylor.

As kids we would hang out there playing dominoes, pool and listening to their stories.

On the day of the explosion I was at the Bennett's house with Robert (oldest boy who went on to retire from the HFD), his mother was upset listening to radio, the big explosion had just happened.

We knew 51 was on that call as most of HFD was.

Robert was worried about his dad.

We grabbed a Honda 90 bike and took off toward Telephone Road.

When we go there it was closed and we could see the smoke from where we were.

We took off parallel across to Telephone RD riding in the fields until we found a spot with no police and crossed over to the fields on the other side.

We road toward the smoke having to jump barb wire fences with the bike until we rolled up on the site.

Man it was like a war zone.

All of a sudden we see Mr. B and Mr. Taylor walking past us - it was strange but one stopped and asked us what we were doing there.

First thing we noticed was the back of their helmets were burned and melted to their big over coats.

For some reason Mr. B turned and saw us, man he let us have it.

Later he told us him and Taylor were walking away from the wreckage when the big explosion happened, the blast blew over their heads and blew them about 70 feet in the air.

We shagged back on the bike and went home down Telephone to Alameda Genoa then home.

Got some crazy looks from the cops when they stopped us, we told them where we were coming from and they let us go.

We told Mrs. B not worry that Mr. B and Taylor were OK - when she asked how we knew, long silence then we told her we talked to them.

She turned white and walked away.

They never said anything again to us for going out there.

On top of the list of crazy shit I had done.

• Like 5

• 9 months later...