Houston In The 1970s

cjlewis610

I left Johnston in 1970, so I'm sure most of the teachers and coaches were still there when this was filmed. I was thrilled when I came across it.

Thanks so much for this. I grew up on Wigton directly across the street from JJHS. In the 7th grade at the time. Now this is a seriously wound up tight principal.... Along with a few of the coaches in PE.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Does anyone have any information or pictures of Sybil Leek's Cauldron which was originally at 1100(1102) Westheimer Rd, Houston, TX 77006 (which then became Charlie's Coffee Shop, then Chances, and now, semi-ironically, another restaurant named Underbelly) then moved to approix 2537 University Blvd?

On Montrose, what are these two motels, mentioned a story about Bill List and the boys that shot him?

"Mostly, he floated between the Memorial Park Motel on Waugh and the Starlite Motel in the 200 block of Westheimer.

Both places were known to the cops as $25-a-night flophouses where prostitutes and transients and down-and-outers stayed, where drugs were in good supply and up for sale."

I'm guessing the Memorial Park Motel was either what was originally the Town House on Waugh and Allen Parkway, or another one that was once known as the Coronodo that I believe was near Waugh on the north side of the bayou.  I remember reading that the latter had an especially seedy reputation.

From a topic on the Carrousel Motel:

Mischer said Marcello, whom he described as a "short, squatty Italian" (Marcello's nickname is "The Little Man"), wanted to buy two Houston hotels from him. Mischer and his partner, Howard Terry, owned the Coronado Hotel and the Carrousel Hotel. The Coronado was located in a older neighborhood west of downtown and was noted for its poker games, gambling and prostitution, according to undercover Houston police officers. It was later burned down.

Was it beating a dead horse by then? (Xanadu)

A place where nobody dared to go, the love that we came to know / They call it Xanadu / And now, open your eyes and see, what we have made is real / We are in Xanadu

---

When did the mainstream commercial establishments (Kroger, McDonald's, Burger King, etc.) open in Montrose? I know Kroger opened in the 1970s...

I think that Michelangelo's may be "Sacred Heart Studio" today IF it was on Taft. There's a concrete pad there that looks like it may have been a patio at one point (link).

I must say, I am kinda disappointed with this thread, in the fact that the title infers much more than what's actually here. There's no general pictures of Houston in the 1970s, just ads for Montrose-area shops (the "Rat Hole" head shop was in Rice Village) and music ads. Maybe I just want to see more actual picture-pictures. Who knows.

The diagram (circular) above of lower Westheimer is misleading. It does not show all the streets that cross or intersect Westheimer. The Round Table, a gay bar (m) and Prufrock's (n), which I understood were co-owned, were not next door to each other, they weren't even in the same block and neither was right on the corner. Whitney was the cross street and both bars were one house removed from the intersection.

Michaeangelo's was (and still is) east of Taft; I haven't been down that way in quite some time but I think it's right were Mason intersects but does not cross Westheimer. The Yelp listing has a map that is a little better although it doesn't clearly show Mason coming all the way down to Westheimer and it also has some pictures.

Edit to correct:  the Yelp listing has one pic of the building, all the rest are of the food.

Edited by brucesw

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everybody, Scrubba here . Yes, contrary to rumors , I'm still alive . I used to own Art Forms design up on North Freeway and I'd like to know of anyone who may still be in the Cement Swamp and have memories and pictures of the silliness we all participated in ? I'm digging out photos to scan as I post  this . I promise to keep it P G !

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...