NASA Remodeled

Guest Plastic

Guest Plastic

The Johnson Space Center is one of the most hi tech places in the country. It's a gateway to the future and is the center for manned spaceflight.

Through all this it still looks like something fromt eh 60s. It's all a bunch of old stone buildings. I say the place need sremodeling. Tear of the stone o r build over it and give The JSC a new modern look like something from the 21st century.

WOuld you know that JSC was originally ownder by Rice? They let NASA use it not knowing if maned spaceflight would takeoff. It did and so did the Johnson Space Center. It would have became one of Rice University's sattelite campuses.

AlsoI find it people national call Houston The Space City. Nothing lands or takesoff here. Orlando should be called The SPace City since that's where the rockets and shuttles takeoff and sometimes land. We've only got Mission Control.

Edited by Plastic

Through all this it still looks like something fromt eh 60s. It's all a bunch of old stone buildings. I say the place need sremodeling. Tear of the stone o r build over it and give The JSC a new modern look like something from the 21st century.

Since unlike the looks of that period, today's styles will last forever and never appear dated.

The Johnson Space Center is one of the most hi tech places in the country. It's a gateway to the future and is the center for manned spaceflight.

No, its not... maybe in 1969.

While no "style lasts forever" as Captain Impossible mentioned... I wish they would take care of the layout, the surface lots arn't cutting it.

WOuld you know that JSC was originally ownder by Rice? They let NASA use it not knowing if maned spaceflight would takeoff. It did and so did the Johnson Space Center. It would have became one of Rice University's sattelite campuses.

Source?

AlsoI find it people national call Houston The Space City. Nothing lands or takesoff here. Orlando should be called The SPace City since that's where the rockets and shuttles takeoff and sometimes land. We've only got Mission Control.

There are many towns/cities with "Space City". I think the official one is in Ohio or something. Our space nick name is "America's Space City."

And why should Orlando be named that? The Shuttle does not take off from Orlando, it takes off from Cape Canaveral.

Guest Plastic

Cape Canaveral is practically in Orlando. Rice designed JSC. It was built to also be a college campus. Most colleges don't have good parking. This is why The Johnson Space Center doesn't.

And yes Rice once owned the land ,lookup Wikipedia or tak e the NASA tram tour.

Rice designed JSC. It was built to also be a college campus. Most colleges don't have good parking. This is why The Johnson Space Center doesn't.

And yes Rice once owned the land ,lookup Wikipedia or tak e the NASA tram tour.

To say Rice designed JSC is a misnomer but it was designed so that it could be a college campus in the event that NASA folded.

An old boss of mine from JSC added that the Rice donation was done so that it wouldn't look like Humble Oil was benefitting themselves since they were also developing Clear Lake. Definitely the good ole boy network at its best.

Vice President Johnson, the former public speaking teacher from Sam Houston High School, was chairman of the federal government

The choice of Houston was due in large part to the Port of Houston and its ability to import and export large machinery with ease. Also, Houston was chosen due to its climate and the friendly Texas attitude towards business. NASA gets tons of parts and equipment from overseas locations ;)

The choice of Houston was due in large part to the Port of Houston and its ability to import and export large machinery with ease. Also, Houston was chosen due to its climate and the friendly Texas attitude towards business. NASA gets tons of parts and equipment from overseas locations ;)

What sort of parts and equipment would they need at Johnson Space Center that would be shipped by ocean carriers?

I think the whole NASA thing was made possible, thanks to the president, LBJ. We can thank him.

And we all secretly know he had Kennedy killed off because guess what city Kennedy had in mind for the mission control to be located at? It was a Dallas vs. Houston thing all along. ;)

What sort of parts and equipment would they need at Johnson Space Center that would be shipped by ocean carriers?

I dont remember, but i will try to dig through some stuff i have. The parts come from Germany by way of Hamburg and Bremen as well as Great Britain. Bremen has a tie to NASA. I will look through some things later from a business trip i had there. Was an eye opening experience ;)

Maybe because all other radiations is absorbed by water.

Wood absorbes radiation like a sponge. Geez, look at all the trees we have. Well **** me in the Ozarks!, we have too many of them that there tree things. Cut em all down. Oh wait, all the new subdivisions are already doing that.

NASA shall be saved!

• 4 weeks later...

The reasons why JSC is in Houston are documented pretty well, and as one might expect, it was a combination of multiple reasons that resulted in its location here. Politics of course was one. Proximity to the coast is another: there were many unknowns as to how much of the heavy cargo would need to be shipped between the space center and the launch facilities....so Galveston Bay was a contendor, which thus made Houston a contendor. An important test facility which was planned - and built - was the large vacuum chamber (known as "chamber A") where an entire Apollo command module would be placed in for environmental testing, and this required that the transportation to and from the would-be chamber have the option of using barges to move the large cargo between that chamber, the launch site in Florida, and possibly the command module manufacturer....again, this gave Houston, with its bay, an edge. In addition, another criteria was the abundance of institutions of higher education with thier pool of science and engineering students....Rice, University of Houston, and Lamar were cited back during the initial site location studies (see "Suddenly, Tommorow Came: A History of the Johnson Space Center"). Of course, if you hear the folks over at KSC talk, they think that all of the space business includding mission control should be at the launch pad, and they site only politics as to why Houston was chosen - they ignore the more complicated set of historical reasons. The truth is that once the spacecraft leaves Earth, Mission Control could be located practically anywhere.

Incidentally, JSC does a hell of alot more than just Astronaut training and Mission Control - it employs about 15,000 people, mainly in science, engineering, and technology. Spacecraft Systems design, engineering, and integration has always been centered at JSC. The planning of the missions and the ground based execution of it, are done at JSC. Everything from Avionics, Tracking and Communications, Environmental, Astronaut Food technology, thermal, shake and bake....and other areas...are performed at JSC. The pure science as related to manned spaceflight, is also done at JSC. Yes, there are subsystems and sub components that come from all parts of the USA and the international partners. But the center of manned space flight, and a significant chunck of the supporting science and engineering, is centered in Houston's Johnson Space Center.

Plastic, we don't need to remodel JSC, they need to use all their budget to build a NEW Space Shuttle, before these nearly 30 year old relics start to claim all of our Astronauts. They don't even know what fell off today, tons of speculation on what it could be, 2 pieces floating in orbit with the shuttle, nice. Go ahead and build Bruckheimer's vision that was in Armageddon.

For some reason the command center has to be close to water. It could have also been "Boston......The Eagle has landed.".

The only thing that lands in Boston, Massachusetts is Ted Kennedy. and that's face first in the mud. urr ahh urr ahh give me a Scotch. :P

Edited by Marty

Plastic, we don't need to remodel JSC, they need to use all their budget to build a NEW Space Shuttle, before these nearly 30 year old relics start to claim all of our Astronauts. They don't even know what fell off today, tons of speculation on what it could be, 2 pieces floating in orbit with the shuttle, nice. Go ahead and build Bruckheimer's vision that was in Armageddon.

They are building a new generation of spacecraft. They're rockets that will take people to The Moon. After they are built The Shuttle will be decomissioned.