Any 70's/80's Club Suggestions?

Mercury Room is pretty much dead now. Anyone have any suggestions on a place with that typeof music, that is not dead and pretty live? Anyone remember "City Streets" on Richmond, close to the 610 loop. Some place like that is what I am looking for for this Friday night. Any suggestions?

Mercury Room is pretty much dead now. Anyone have any suggestions on a place with that typeof music, that is not dead and pretty live? Anyone remember "City Streets" on Richmond, close to the 610 loop. Some place like that is what I am looking for for this Friday night. Any suggestions?

i think friday night is 80s night at numbers - although i never go out, so this is just hearsay :unsure:

I don't remember the 70's and the 80's. :wacko:

If you did, you weren't there. That's why GOD created VH1. :D

Molly and the Ringwalds: What great friggin' name for a band, I feel that I can almost reach out and touch The Psychadelic Furs they are probably wearing. ^_^

Molly and the Ringwalds are a great cover band playing 80's music.

Thursday nights at Pub Fiction is always packed - I'm not sure how old you are but it is kind of a younger crowd.

Younger as in under 30 or under 35 ? I can blend.

Younger as in under 30 or under 35 ? I can blend.

I would say a majority is 25 and under, but there are people in there 30's there too.

Speeking of dance clubs...the Chronicle is doing a survey for the "best of" in Houston again. There is a selection for the Ultimate DANCE CLUB and one answer is Boaka Bar/The Mercury Room (who goes the anymore)?

http://www.chron.com/entertainment/ultimate/

But they did get the burgers right with the options for Lankfords and Christains Tailgate.

Edited by ToolMan

Let me also throw out that Sammy's is good... his band is a lot like the one that played at Mercury Room.

Also, Sammy came from humble beginnings at Gallant Knight (2337 W Holcombe). If you've never been there, you need to go - it's in a ramshackle old house and it's like NOTHING you've ever seen before - like a house party with a live band, and canned beer. Insane party with live 70s, 80s music... The crowd is a mix of anyone and everyone... As long as you're looking to have fun, you will.

If you're not necessarily looking for live music - Tuesday night at Bronx Bar in the Village is 80s night, and is a ton of fun.

Also, Uropa is awesome... they play a mix of hip-hop, 80s, etc. GREAT crowd. Awesome DJ (Darrell Ripley). It's hard to find though, so get good directions before you go!

• 2 weeks later...

I know this reply is a little late after the fact...

Richs has been putting on a great Friday night for about 6 weeks now. No cover before 11 and $1 wells all night. Not too packed, and great music.

Its a good place if you want to listen to synthpop and industrial. If you are looking to re-live Dexys Midnight Runners or Toni Basil, then you might not want to stop in.

Friday nights at #'s is still pretty good music-wise, but I will have to agree with Montrose1100. Its smoky, the bathrooms are a biohazard, and there are always drunken little hipsters knocking your drink around and smashing into you on the dancefloor. Underworld nights are way better though. There aren't as many people, you have a choice of music (80's main floor, horrorpunk/death rock upstairs) and the bathrooms seem to stay cleaner.

Your mileage may vary though...

(PS: whomever mentioned Red Square...muah!)

If you did, you weren't there. That's why GOD created VH1. :D

Molly and the Ringwalds: What great friggin' name for a band, I feel that I can almost reach out and touch The Psychadelic Furs they are probably wearing. ^_^

although their name is neat, i prefer the spazmatics,

they're much more fun! the ringwalds seem a bit comfy

doing the same old thing at the continental club but i

guess they're in houston.

although their name is neat, i prefer the spazmatics,

they're much more fun! the ringwalds seem a bit comfy

doing the same old thing at the continental club but i

guess they're in houston.

I'm really not that big on the Spazmatics. They appear to be lip syncing a lot and have a lot of synthesized instruments. Molly and the Ringwlalds are 100% real.

• The title was changed to Any 70's/80's Club Suggestions?