25,000,000th MetroRail boarding

editor

If this is true, then most Houstonians are obviously ready to start making the transition to mass transportation.

Even more reason to get these other routes moving. Hopefully someone up high will see this and actually help us get our much deserved funding.

That is great news, hopefully this will influence their decision to make the uptown/post oak line a LTR instead of BRT first, since it was off expectations too.

I'm sure that was the intent behind the release of this information. I don't think its a coincidence that METRO drops this bomb after Culbersome makes his decision on the Richmond Alignment.

I'm sure that was the intent behind the release of this information. I don't think its a coincidence that METRO drops this bomb after Culbersome makes his decision on the Richmond Alignment.

Which is fine by me if it helps get that line down Richmond and throughout the rest of the city. :D

You GO Metro!

Hey, good PR. If the numbers are that good why not use them to counter Culbersome's short-sighted decision?

do those numbers inlcude people that get on without paying the ticket?? or do they only count the ticket sales?? cuz i have seen people get on withouth actually buying a ticket

Some people have an all day pass, month pass, a transfer...... so you might not always see people go to the machine.

From the times I've ridden it, Metro has checked to see if people have paid at least once along the ride. The guy sitting next to me got a ticket, his pass had expired two hours before they checked

do those numbers inlcude people that get on without paying the ticket?? or do they only count the ticket sales?? cuz i have seen people get on withouth actually buying a ticket

I have to agree with what everyone else says.

if you time it right, you can use it for two days. :)

I had someone in the hospital, got a ticket at 7pm, rode it back a couple of hours later, then the next day I'd ride at about 4pm and leave at about 7pm. :)

they call it a 24hrs round trip pass for a REASON. :)

I've also seen people get off one bus and go straight onto the train, so the transfers are applicable.

From the time I've seen cops go on the train (seen it several times) and only written up a couple of people. I figure out of the hundred or so on the train, I've only seen 3 per train.

Likely not, since I doubt that could come up with a system that accurately tracks usership without having $$ to track the ticket sales.

So it may even be higher.

Likely not, since I doubt that could come up with a system that accurately tracks usership without having $$ to track the ticket sales.

So it may even be higher.

I remember talking with METRO's boarding stats guy about this time last year. He mentioned that they have an electronic counter system that accurately counts the number of physical boardings.

I remember talking with METRO's boarding stats guy about this time last year. He mentioned that they have an electronic counter system that accurately counts the number of physical boardings.

Yep. There are little sensors right above each doorway that can tell how many people get on and off when the doors are opened. Several systems around the world use this same type of technology.

Yep. There are little sensors right above each doorway that can tell how many people get on and off when the doors are opened. Several systems around the world use this same type of technology.

Metro's buses have these as well.

I must say that I was impressed this last week while riding MetroRail. Stations like McGowen and Ensemble-HCC which used to have nobody at them seemed busy on several mornings this past week. I saw at least 15 people get off a northbound train at McGowen Thursday morning about 9:30 AM, and about 10 boarded at the same time. During the first year of MetroRail operations, it was rare to see more than 2 or 3 people get on or off there.

My biggest complaint about MetroRail now is that they don't have the equipment to make all trains two cars in length. During rush hour some of the single car trains are getting very crowded. Didn't Metro order some additional LRVs from Siemens last year for the current line?

I must say that I was impressed this last week while riding MetroRail. Stations like McGowen and Ensemble-HCC which used to have nobody at them seemed busy on several mornings this past week. I saw at least 15 people get off a northbound train at McGowen Thursday morning about 9:30 AM, and about 10 boarded at the same time. During the first year of MetroRail operations, it was rare to see more than 2 or 3 people get on or off there.

My biggest complaint about MetroRail now is that they don't have the equipment to make all trains two cars in length. During rush hour some of the single car trains are getting very crowded. Didn't Metro order some additional LRVs from Siemens last year for the current line?

Many of these are med center workers becuase you can park free near the mcgowen station.

I know for a fact they will be announcing the 24,999,999th rider... why? Because I got off at one stop for a few seconds to throw something away in a trashcan, and quickly hopped back on.

HA! My secret is out... I was really hired to simply boost #'s. (j.k.)

Sometime Friday, August 4, the 25 millionth passenger will board a METRORail train, marking yet another milestone in the history of the 2 1/2-year-old light-rail line.

I actually rode the train on Friday to take my kids to the park and the Children

they often run two-car trains when they need to don't they?

i thought the limit was two-cars because at certain stops, the would stick out of the intersection otherwise.

are you refering to the fact that they don't run two-cars enough? is that because of lack of equipment, or because its not cost effective?

they often run two-car trains when they need to don't they?

i thought the limit was two-cars because at certain stops, the would stick out of the intersection otherwise.

are you refering to the fact that they don't run two-cars enough? is that because of lack of equipment, or because its not cost effective?

Current ridership requires that they run double trains almost all day, however due to maintence schedules, they have to try maintain "spares" in case someting goes wrong.

They did order several new cars, but it is unclear as to when delivery will take place. I think that the Siemen S70 model should be replaced by something a little different that would increase capacity.

From the Siemen's Website they don't have a model which, I think would be best suited. One would be like the Houston's S70 but insted of having a controls at both ends, just have one on one end.

In that configuration, you would be able to marry two of them together back to back and increase capacity from 25% to 30%

In regards to capacity, One car is rated to carry up to 210 passangers. But some of the more crowded days I did a count of about 240 as some will stand in the isles near the cabin doors and possibly more if they all get REAL cozy.

If that 2nd cab wasn't there, I figure another 8 seated passangers and another 8-10 standing would be possible.

I do hope Siemen's would consider this model configuration, it would be a great addition to the fleet in the coming years.

Current ridership requires that they run double trains almost all day, however due to maintence schedules, they have to try maintain "spares" in case someting goes wrong.

They did order several new cars, but it is unclear as to when delivery will take place. I think that the Siemen S70 model should be replaced by something a little different that would increase capacity.

Maintenance is not the only reason they can't run all trains with two cars. The simple fact is that Metro doesn't have enough LRVs to maintain the current schedule with all trains running two cars. If they did that, the six minute weekday frequencies would not be possible.

I must say I really like the Siemens S70 LRVs better than those I've ridden in other cities. I can't stand the high-floor equipment Dallas bought, with the steps going into the trains and doors that must always be opened by exiting passengers. Of the light rail systems I've ridden in the US, it seems like the LRVs built by Siemens and Breda are consistently the nicest, and most passenger-friendly. I also really like San Francisco MUNI's Breda LRVs. While they have high-floor interiors, and steps at the doors, they were also designed for level-boarding at the higher platforms, particularly in the Market St. Subway. When approaching a high-platform stop, the operator can trigger the boarding steps to raise up and create a level walkway between the rest of the car's interior and the boarding platform.

Everybody is always wondering, "Well how many of them there things can ya hook up and whuts that there Bi-directional six-axle, low floor articulated light rail vehicle constructed of any who?

So here's the specs. I didn't know Houston was the first to have the S70.

San Diego's low floor trolley represents the second order to Siemens of its Avanto/S70 low-floor light rail vehicle platform after the Houston contract in 2001. http://references.transportation.siemens.c...;div=5&l=en
http://references.transportation.siemens.c...;div=5&l=en

Light Rail Vehicle, S70, Houston, USA

for METRO Houston

General Vehicle Configuration

Bi-directional six-axle, low floor articulated light rail vehicle constructed of low alloy high tensile (LAHT) steel and composite materials

Low floor area comprises 70% of the interior and extends between the end trucks through the articulated center section.

Catenary supply voltage: 600/750Vdc (1500Vdc optional)

Modern, spacious interior insuring maximum visibility and safety.

Eight passenger doorways, four per side directly across from one another and located in the low floor area

Equipped with either a height control system, which will maintain a constant entry height to permit level boarding or moveable bridgeplates meeting the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)

Each end of the vehicle is fully equipped with an operator's cab. The passenger area is air conditioned and equipped with a modern passenger information system.

Capable of multiple unit operation in consists of up to 4 per train, and in emergency,

consists of twice the maximum.

Technical data

Performance and Capacity

Maximum operational speed up to 66 mph

Maximum Safe Speed up to 71.5 mph

Initial service acceleration and deceleration 3.0 mphps

Maximum operational gradient 7%

Passenger Capacity 72 seated incl. 4 wheelchair spaces

174 standing (AW3)

Capacity Options Bicycle racks, luggage racks

Vehicle Dimensions and Weight

Length over coupler 93 ft