Verdict in Andrea Yates trial

musicman

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What would Tom say?

compu2_7394350.jpg

He'd probably say "come here MidtownCoog, lets get acquainted..."

To clarify my opinion and confusion, I do believe she needs to be institutionalized, and we need to understand her condition because there are others out there who have her same condition and could do something violent if not treated properly. That being said, I think she should have been found GUILTY and SENTENCED to the mental institution that she's about to go to. She needs to be held responsible for her children's deaths, and being considered insane shouldn't give a person the right to purposely kill five innocent kids.

I'm don't think Yates deserved to be considered for the death penalty, but why does the penalty exist if no one who's mentally unstable is supposed to have that sentence? Killing and murder is the most extreme crime there is. How is it considered sane if it's not under self-defense? Does this mean the death penalty is unconstitutional?

The problem with declaring the execution of the mentally ill is opening doors for those to falsify that they are mentally ill. While a few MIGHT have been sick in the mind, there will be an overwhelming amount of people that will claim it but will be of perfectly sound mind that murdered for the sake of a man's watch that run the risk of avoiding the needle.

If an insanity plea is made, it should be put in the context of what happend immediately before and after the murder.

considering that most murders are committed by people that victims actually know (friend, relative, lover, ex-lover, doorman, etc), the odds are very high that it was a crime of passion or an ongoing argument that escalated out of control.

so if an insanity becomes an issue, it should be brought in early and put into context before some moron decides 10 days before an execution is "Oh, I forgot! he's retarded!"

You bring up a good point, but it bears noting that Andrea Yates had a history of mental illness before this occurred. I believe she was even in an institution or two over the years. This was not someone falsyfying their condition to try to get out of a murder wrap, and the DA even acknowledged that she was mentally ill, although their argument was that her mental illness did not have a bearing on the killings. Someone with no history of mental illness that kills someone will never get away with an insanity defense in the State of Texas regardless of what happened in this case, so I think you can all feel safe.

You bring up a good point, but it bears noting that Andrea Yates had a history of mental illness before this occurred. I believe she was even in an institution or two over the years. This was not someone falsyfying their condition to try to get out of a murder wrap, and the DA even acknowledged that she was mentally ill, although their argument was that her mental illness did not have a bearing on the killings. Someone with no history of mental illness that kills someone will never get away with an insanity defense in the State of Texas regardless of what happened in this case, so I think you can all feel safe.

Good post. She was broken well before she drown her children and there's a good chance she will remain a broken person for the rest of her life.

Good post. She was broken well before she drown her children and there's a good chance she will remain a broken person for the rest of her life.

I can understand the hatred people have for this lady, I mean, she murdered all of her children. On the other hand, whether she is in prison or a mental institution, I have to believe that her mind has it's own prison walls that are thicker than anything Man can put her behind.

How many of you Yates supporters against her going to the death chamber are also in support of abortion? How many of you are pro-abortion-the killing of an innocent life, and anti Yates death sentence-against the death penalty for a CHILD MURDERER? How many?

Backward jackassed society we are fast becoming.........

How many of you Yates supporters against her going to the death chamber are also in support of abortion? How many of you are pro-abortion-the killing of an innocent life, and anti Yates death sentence-against the death penalty for a CHILD MURDERER? How many?

I have never met anyone who is pro abortion. I know many people who think the government should mind it's own business but I've never actually heard anyone say, "BOY! I wish we could have MORE abortion." I do hear people on both sides saying let's keep it safe, rare and legal. So sorry, monnie, your bait didn't work-again. It has zip to do with the fate of a severly broken woman.

What the hell does abortion gotta do with this? And r u trying to imply that if you don't think Yates should have recieved the death penaly that you're a Yates supporter?

Stop generalizing us before we leave you on the moon, yo.

I notice you appear uniquely qualified to decide WHICH life is saved and which life is ended. I suppose with all that is going on in the world, God has seded authority for granting and ending of human life to you. It is good to see you taking this job so seriously.

What you call a jackassed society I call a nuanced society.........

Anyway, we all know (maybe you don't so I'll restate) that the death chamber was off the table in this trial, it was not an option, so stop talking about the death penalty 'cause it has nothing to do with this case. The jury could have decided prison or mental hospital, period.

Now that that's out of the way, can you tell me about the mental hospital she will be in for probably the rest of her life? I guess you have this picture in your head of Andrea skipping through lush fields of daisies thinking how cool it is to be able to kill your children and get away with it. Think again, where she will be is a maximum security center with 17 foot razor-topped walls with guards with rifles. Everything about the place she will be is a prison except the name. So stop saying justice will not be served here.

The same backward jackasses went with the letter of the law Moonman, the verdict and the punishment have to fit the evidence of the crime. No one has denied that Andrea Yates MURDERED her children. It all came down to witnesses as to the state of mind her "child murdering @$$" was in. She is, was, and has always been, in a state of mental instability since she had the first child, and her Post Partum became multiplied with the amount of children she came to bare for Rusty.

This is a dangerous argument you're taking this to. Personally, I don't compare the two in the least and this is taking it a bit off topic. So basically, Don't go there.

While I wouldn't have minded her going to prison for the rest of her life, the Prisons in Texas have a VERY poor mental health program.

As someone stated earlier, the prison in her own mind is thicker than anything she could be put in.

It has as about as much to do with this as the silly questions of

should her husband be killed?

should her doctors be killed?

Follow all the posts in the thread.............

Those questions do sound resonable though. The husband and doctors are seen as people that could have prevented the deaths, because the argument is that Andrea Yates had no control of her mental state. It was a known fact that she was unstable before the incident. There's a lot of people that could be "blamed".

The case does have me asking question about society though. For example: How many people on death row were not insane when they committed their crime (assuming they did it), why was it okay to waste $500,000 taxpayer dollars on tests to concur that Yates was mentally unstable when she killed her kids, and how many people can benefit from understanding more about Andrea Yates' condition and learning how to treat others?

Moonman thinks Andrea has been planning on the murders for years, and that is why she came up with the elaborate scheme to check herself into mental institutions from time to time, that way when she completed her diabolicle plan, she would have an alibi. Can't you see how she planned the whole thing out DJ ? Geez ! <_< :closedeyes:

Moonman thinks Andrea has been planning on the murders for years, and that is why she came up with the elaborate scheme to check herself into mental institutions from time to time, that way when she completed her diabolicle plan, she would have an alibi. Can't you see how she planned the whole thing out DJ ? Geez ! <_< :closedeyes:

I think I can. Wasn't that on Law & Order last week? Or was it Matlock? :unsure:

Archived