West Loop Traffic Control

Over the past few months, I've had to experience some of the worst traffic I've seen on feeder roads on the loop and galleria area.

As discussed on another topic, Richmond/610 is bad. I've been stuck there for about 20 minutes just past mid lane to cross 610 where it flowed easily. The problem is the lights not allowing enough time to go across as well as gridlock for those people that figure that HAVE to make that light.

Another issue is W. Alabama @ Post oak (east bound) where not only is the light timing inadequate, but the fact that police stop traffic to let people into the street (which I will allow IS needed) simply makes traffic back up almost to sage!

Post oak @ Westheimer (East and North bound) There seems to be a constant state in which people are blocking intersections (east bound) trying to get to 610. This is problematic all along Westheimer from 610 to Chimney Rock.

Westhiemer @ 610, San Felipe @ 610, Post Oak @ 610, Memorial @610, and Woodway @ 610, all have areas in which are congested to the point where it's absolutely insane.

The question is; why police can't put a few officers to direct traffic for a couple of hours and station an officer or two nearby so they can quickly respond if something happens (I called 911 saturday because a nude woman was sitting on a barrier on the feeder). Emergency personel have a hellish trying to get through traffic and a little police control would probably help.

While I realize the police are stretched thin, particularly at this time of day, it would probably help out a great deal if this was done.

between short light timings, short distances between lights, and dufuses blocking intersections, it is definitely a driving nightmare to be avoided.

there are a few sheriffs at the intersection of main and university that (poorly) help direct traffic. maybe they can relocate them to the galleria, since they cause more problems than good where they're at now...

Over the past few months, I've had to experience some of the worst traffic I've seen on feeder roads on the loop and galleria area.

As discussed on another topic, Richmond/610 is bad. I've been stuck there for about 20 minutes just past mid lane to cross 610 where it flowed easily. The problem is the lights not allowing enough time to go across as well as gridlock for those people that figure that HAVE to make that light.

Another issue is W. Alabama @ Post oak (east bound) where not only is the light timing inadequate, but the fact that police stop traffic to let people into the street (which I will allow IS needed) simply makes traffic back up almost to sage!

Post oak @ Westheimer (East and North bound) There seems to be a constant state in which people are blocking intersections (east bound) trying to get to 610. This is problematic all along Westheimer from 610 to Chimney Rock.

Westhiemer @ 610, San Felipe @ 610, Post Oak @ 610, Memorial @610, and Woodway @ 610, all have areas in which are congested to the point where it's absolutely insane.

Unfortunately that's life on the west side. And the new rail line will only add to the misery if it is run at ground level through the busiest streets.

The question is; why police can't put a few officers to direct traffic for a couple of hours and station an officer or two nearby so they can quickly respond if something happens (I called 911 saturday because a nude woman was sitting on a barrier on the feeder). Emergency personel have a hellish trying to get through traffic and a little police control would probably help.

While I realize the police are stretched thin, particularly at this time of day, it would probably help out a great deal if this was done.

So...we need police out in force to eradicate even the potential for nudism?

Seriously, though...I agree. Some traffic management would provide some real and tangible benefit. You know, its interesting that you bring this up. I do a remarkably good job avoiding the areas you mentioned, and do not always have a full appreciation for the level of congestion that can exist on these arterials. Red made a very convincing argument in the University Line post for routing the line along Westpark from the UP tracks to S. Post Oak or Sage...and I'm moving toward his position.

Btw, the big reason that traffic is increasing is that there has been some major absorption of office space in the Galleria area over the last year. More commuters means more traffic.

And the new rail line will only add to the misery if it is run at ground level through the busiest streets.

At least it will give us something pretty to look at while we are stuck at the light! :D

Hmmm...Yesterday I did something I rarely do. I left work early and drove home down Richmond, instead of taking the Southwest Freeway.

It took me less than 20 minutes to drive from Richmond/Jeanetta all the way to Richmond/Almeda. Of course, that was between 6:40 pm and 7:00 pm.

When I got to the stop light at Richmond and 610, there were only 3 cars in front of me. No traffic at all.

It's amazing what a difference there is between traffic at peak driving times and the rest of the day.

This may sound relatively obvious, but have you contacted 311 to request any signal light timing adjustments? Before I moved downtown (and became exposed to an entirely different set of traffic light issues, LOL) I called 311 multiple times per week with various light timing requests--they probably had a separate Mr. travelguy_73 file! They actually responded to most of my concerns (albeit after a couple of calls on each one), a few times even having a 'traffic engineer' call me for clarification. Sometimes there wasn't anything they can do about the timing because changing it would negatively impact another intersection, but oftentimes (most of the time???) the timing was set up with zero regard to what is appropriate.

You would think/hope a police officer or observant city employee would call in these issues you describe since (I assume) they drive the same streets that we do.

:)

i live smack dab in the galleria area (yorktown) and i hate it. the traffic situation that is. no matter where you go, traffic is backed up in all directions. redoing the freeways is only part of the solution. the streets that take you to the them (610 and 59) are always gridlocked and should be widened themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice propaganda

I for one don't see that post as propaganda - I believe that it is fact. If the train is run at ground level on Richmond under the 610 loop please explain to me how traffic at that intersection will improve with a train crossing every what is 18 minutes? I came home from far West Houston last week (Thursday to be exact) right @ 6:00. I came in on the WESTPARK Tollway. The exit to Westpark from the tollway was backed up for about 1/2 mile, and the exit to Post Oak where it crosses Richmond was backed up an equal distance. I sat through no less than four "green lights" on Post Oak while waiting to make a right turn onto Richmond. I think there should be a right turn only lane at that location, it's just another example of poor planning regarding traffic in the area, and Houston in general.

Ricco - I agree with you on this one. I think we all get alittle ticked when we have been sitting in traffic for 30 minutes and an off-duty cop working for a private business stops traffic to let someone that has been in their car less than two minutes cut in line in front of us. I would much rather see police used as you state, and in fact I have seen a sherriff at the 610 @ Westheimer Southbound feeder a few times, but he is always on the South side of Westheimer instead of in the middle of Westheimer preventing the idiots from blocking the intersection and running the light.

That nude woman was one of my neighbors that you mentioned in the other thread was it?

Eh, signal timing. It's not just an Uptown problem. Hillcroft southbound at Westpark often backs up six or seven green lights, even during weekends and non-rush hours.

I don't think much can be done about the West Alabama light, since just as many cars get backed up at the right turn onto the 610 feeder.

• The title was changed to West Loop Traffic Control

Archived