Half of my front yard and my entire backyard needs to be re-sod. Not more than a 1000 sq feet of sod total. Since I can't seem to get the hang of watering, I thought it would be a good idea to have an irrigation system installed at the same time. I have received a quote of close to 4000.00. Is this what a six zone irrigation system with automatic clock in the garage and new sod should cost?

Half of my front yard and my entire backyard needs to be re-sod. Not more than a 1000 sq feet of sod total. Since I can't seem to get the hang of watering, I thought it would be a good idea to have an irrigation system installed at the same time. I have received a quote of close to 4000.00. Is this what a six zone irrigation system with automatic clock in the garage and new sod should cost?

6 zones for 1000 sqft sounds like an awful lot unless you have a bunch of flower beds on different zones or something.

Sod is 1.50 per sqft at Buchannons. And, not that hard to do yourself. The hard part is getting the ground ready for the sod.

Buchanans is a total sod ripoff. I got it for $165 per pallet, installed. A pallet has about 500 sf of sod, the price per sf was about 33 cents.

Buchanans is a total sod ripoff. I got it for $165 per pallet, installed. A pallet has about 500 sf of sod, the price per sf was about 33 cents.

Agreed. $1.50 a square foot? This isn't kitchen tile. I paid $100 a pallet for my new backyard, including the installation.

DON'T TELL ME THAT!!!

I just bought about 80 pieces. I'm telling myself that it was quality sod. In fact, after only 2 weeks it is already growing like crazy and you can barely see the pieces anymore. Is that normal? (the correct answer is "no, that is great, amazing, you bought the best sod ever")

I think buchannons only sells a few pieces at a time, and I should have bargain shopped...

I did a 2 zone with water sensor about 2 yrs ago and it was $1200....so youre in the ballpark.....definately check around....

the correct answer is "no, that is great, amazing, you bought the best sod ever"

:D

seems like you made a sound investment. years ago i worked with plants, and we would sell cheap sod that looked awful (holes, not alot of dirt, bugs). i am pretty sure that's the type one would get at larger big-box-type stores.

buchanan's is known for good products (but since they don't buy in the same volume, it costs more).

i would recommend anyone to support buchanan's before any other large chain (and for goodness' sake, buy native plants!).

:D

seems like you made a sound investment. years ago i worked with plants, and we would sell cheap sod that looked awful (holes, not alot of dirt, bugs). i am pretty sure that's the type one would get at larger big-box-type stores.

buchanan's is known for good products (but since they don't buy in the same volume, it costs more).

i would recommend anyone to support buchanan's before any other large chain (and for goodness' sake, buy native plants!).

good answer :> and let me support the store...all the plants I bought there are doing amazing, two weeks later, and already growing and flourishing. They never went through "shock".

Wendy,

We bought Houston Garden Center sod for our old house in Montrose. It took forever to look full. It never actually got as far as looking "nice."

Of course, you know I completely think you should support the businesses in the neighborhood. If you were resodding your whole yard it would be one thing, but for the project you did I completely agree with your buying decision. =)

I buy sod from Wharton Turf Grass. I pay about $110/pallet ($0.22/sf ish) delivered just about anywhere in Houston. One person can lay about a pallet an hour. As said previously, prepping the ground properly is the real chore.

As far as grass goes, I would recommend "buffelo grass" or one of it's hybrids. It's a hardy grass that doesn't really require much as far as maintanence goes and doesn't require as much watering as the other types of of grass.

As far as grass goes, I would recommend "buffelo grass" or one of it's hybrids. It's a hardy grass that doesn't really require much as far as maintanence goes and doesn't require as much watering as the other types of of grass.

According to http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/turf/publications/buffalo.html, it isn't good for southeast Texas. Have people easily and successfully grown it here? I'm definetly interested in grass I wouldn't have to water often.

murff turf will deliver and install...not sure on the exact cost, though (has to be better than 1.50/sq. ft.!).

as far as watering, you might wanna opt for a regular 'ol sprinkler

713022089150md.jpg

:)

That's a little too sedate Sev. Might as well have fun while watering the lawn, and get one of these.

tiki.JPG

Mt. Tiki Soki ! :D

Bermuda grass is a huge pain in the butt. The roots are impossible to dig out once they get into the beds. Of course you rarely have the choice to not get it. Quality St. Augustine sod shouldn't have any Bermuda growing in it.

In Houston - when you see green lawns in the winter - that's usually Rye grass which is seeded over the St. Augustine in the fall.

I had three other landscapers quote the job. All were significantly lower than the first quote.

The guy i decided to go with quoted: 375/zone (rainbird system) and 300 to install a pallet + 1/2 pallet of st. augustine. Which is close to 1100 dollar savings on the original quote. Whew!

Also, he does lawn mnt for 80/month which includes: mow, edge, weed. and hedge. My current lawn service is 25/week and all he does is mow and edge.

Thanks to everyone that replied for the information.

Well, I didn't realize that BG would be that difficult to grow here. I would have imagined that it would have done quite well in our dry months, or perhaps I was thinking of a couple of the hybrids out there.

Either way, I'm glad the situation is working out for you and thank heaven's you didn't pick "monkey grass" whom I knew someone has.

I can imagine some pour soul with OCD would have an apoplectic fit every time they would walk by.

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Landscape Costs