Charles Milby Mansion At 3015 Old Galveston Rd.

sootycat

I received the following in a PM from a new member of the forum... curious1. I couldn't help him with his inquiry, but possiby someone (maybe sevfiv or suredid) who has been in that area recently can help. Not sure why he hasn't posted this. If someone can offer any information, I'll pass it on in reply to his PM. Thanks!

"I grew up in the Harrisburg/Manchester areas of Houston in the 30s, 40s and 50s. I roamed every street and railroad track in these areas. In 1945, a Harris Elementary teacher told us about a historic marker located east of the Milby home, across Broadway and behind Jack Roach Ford. I found it easily and checked it out several times. The marker basically stated that The Capital of the Republic of Texas was located at the site, and it gave dates. I live in Mississippi now. In 1990, my brother and I looked for the marker and couldn't find it. I think I'm the only person that knows the marker ever existed. Do you know what happened to it? The location was between the Milby home and Glendale Cemetery, but closer to the Milby home. It was north of the railroad tracks that ran by the cemetery. 'Preciate any help you can give. (The Houston Library was clueless)"

"'Preciate any help you can give. (The Houston Library was clueless)"

Sorry. No info there.

I do however have a number of pics from within the cemetery. I've had them stored on my camera since before this thread even mentioned the cemetery and just hadn't had the opportunity to upload them.

A previous poster had an image of the cemetery's historical marker with the reverse side of the Milby family plot in the background. This is the front of the plot, facing north.

haif007sl3.jpg

This is the plot of John Harris, the founder of Harrisburg and the namesake of Harris County. It is at the far southeast corner of the cemetery grounds and is the plot with the best views of ship channel industry. If I could be buried anywhere, this would be near the top of my list.

haif003cp7.jpg

This is also a photo of the Harris plot, but from a different angle that highlights its industrial surroundings.

haif004fk1.jpg

If you turned left about 90 degrees from the angle at which the previous picture was taken, this is the view. The opposite bank is Brady Island and the body of water shown is actually the original path of the Buffalo Bayou right where it meets back up with the Ship Channel.

haif002hn1.jpg

• 4 months later...
I received the following in a PM from a new member of the forum... curious1. I couldn't help him with his inquiry, but possiby someone (maybe sevfiv or suredid) who has been in that area recently can help. Not sure why he hasn't posted this. If someone can offer any information, I'll pass it on in reply to his PM. Thanks!

"I grew up in the Harrisburg/Manchester areas of Houston in the 30s, 40s and 50s. I roamed every street and railroad track in these areas. In 1945, a Harris Elementary teacher told us about a historic marker located east of the Milby home, across Broadway and behind Jack Roach Ford. I found it easily and checked it out several times. The marker basically stated that The Capital of the Republic of Texas was located at the site, and it gave dates. I live in Mississippi now. In 1990, my brother and I looked for the marker and couldn't find it. I think I'm the only person that knows the marker ever existed. Do you know what happened to it? The location was between the Milby home and Glendale Cemetery, but closer to the Milby home. It was north of the railroad tracks that ran by the cemetery. 'Preciate any help you can give. (The Houston Library was clueless)"

I remember seeing that marker back in the 80s. I don't know what happened to it. I have driven around looking for it myself.

• 1 month later...

This is my first post although I've been lurking for years....

I'm somewhat late on this topic, but do remember the mansion in question. It seems to me that the mansion was demolished to make way for the Sims Bayou South WW Treatment Facility probably around 1980 or shortly thereafter. I have searched, but can't seem to find the date of the construction of the WW Treatment facility. I seem to remember the mansion being white and having large columns across the front. I remember a swimming pool also.

• 3 months later...
This is my first post although I've been lurking for years....

I'm somewhat late on this topic, but do remember the mansion in question. It seems to me that the mansion was demolished to make way for the Sims Bayou South WW Treatment Facility probably around 1980 or shortly thereafter. I have searched, but can't seem to find the date of the construction of the WW Treatment facility. I seem to remember the mansion being white and having large columns across the front. I remember a swimming pool also.

I'm coming in late on this too ... but it rang a bell due to a coversation I was having with my aunt recently after my mother's death. The estate where that big house sat was the Schaff (or maybe Shaff?) estate. My grandfather was the caretaker on the property back during the Depression era. My mother's family lived in one of the smaller houses that stood on the property at that time. Back in the late '60s or early '70s, my mother made friends with the caretaker of the property at that time. By then the mansion on the property (I remember it being referred to as the Milby Mansion, although my aunt says that it was just the Schaff Estate and the Milby Mansion was located elsewhere) was vacant. The current owners told my mother's friend to take anything they wanted out of the house, and they let my parents (who were in the antiques business) have some of the items. For many years, a mirror that was actually one of the doors from the mansion hung in my mom's den. Milk glass from the large walk-in refrigerator was savaged and used to make several tables by my father. I still have one of them. I couldn't have been more than 6 or 8 at the time, but I remember going into that house with them and thinking it was remarkable. It was torn down when I was a teenager. I used to drive by it every day on the way to Milby High School.

I'm coming in late on this too ... but it rang a bell due to a coversation I was having with my aunt recently after my mother's death. The estate where that big house sat was the Schaff (or maybe Shaff?) estate. My grandfather was the caretaker on the property back during the Depression era. My mother's family lived in one of the smaller houses that stood on the property at that time. Back in the late '60s or early '70s, my mother made friends with the caretaker of the property at that time. By then the mansion on the property (I remember it being referred to as the Milby Mansion, although my aunt says that it was just the Schaff Estate and the Milby Mansion was located elsewhere) was vacant. The current owners told my mother's friend to take anything they wanted out of the house, and they let my parents (who were in the antiques business) have some of the items. For many years, a mirror that was actually one of the doors from the mansion hung in my mom's den. Milk glass from the large walk-in refrigerator was savaged and used to make several tables by my father. I still have one of them. I couldn't have been more than 6 or 8 at the time, but I remember going into that house with them and thinking it was remarkable. It was torn down when I was a teenager. I used to drive by it every day on the way to Milby High School.

Thanks for the information about the house. I got curious about it when I realized it was torn down. I wish I could have seen the inside of it. I would notice the house when my father would drive down Old Galveston Road. I was a young child then. I even recall a dream I had once, about going in the house. I was probably 6 or 7 yrs old when I had that dream. I guess I was curious about it even then.

[]

Edited by sootycat

• 2 weeks later...

found this on amazon rating site for 13th Floor Elevators.. may give u a new lead...I would think the band would still have some photos perhaps...

stars-5-0._V45730272_.gifGoing Up, Aug 16 2003

Reviewer:L. Graham (Houston<Tx) - See all my reviews

c7y_badge_rn_1._V45729868_.gif Having grown up in Houston, Texas I was fortunate enough to have seen and known The Elevators. When I knew them they were living off of Old Galveston Rd in the Old Milby mansion. I can still remember Stacy peering out he window from up stairs everytime we went over to score acid. Danny Thomas, the drummer who came along before and during Bull of the Woods married my next door neighbor Linda Cypert. What good days they were watching them perform at the Love Street Light Circus. What a thrill it was to see Rocky again when he reunited with what was left of the band in the mid 80's at the Cellar in Houston. Easter Everywhere a must for any phycedelic era fiend or listener of ZZ Top, who do you think were their heros? The Elevators of course.

I remember going by a lot of times on the way to Milby Park for the weekly concerts, and later I lived on the corner of Park Place and Old Galvston Rd. I remember the tree lined drive, whick stood i contrast to the rather nakedness of the rest of the property. I do remember it was large, red brick, with pillars, but stood so far off Old Galveston Rd it was difficult making out details.

Good Luck..mick

Here is an article on the Milby Mansion. I think this thread is discussing two different mansions. The Milby mansion was on Elm and Broadway and was demolished in 1959. I don't know what the name of this other mansion on Old Galveston was or it's history, but I would like too. I would like to see some photos of that one too.

Can we get a do-over on the Milby House demolition?

Milby_House_Article_1959.jpg

Edited by isuredid

• 7 months later...
Milby Mansion was along Milby Park. Back in the 60's one could score some good acid at the place. Good rock concerts at the park at that time. I think I remember that.

On page B1 in today's Chronicle, there a photo of a jogger in Reveille Park. It says that a trail is being built which will extend from Milby Park to Scottcrest Park. On page B2 is a map showing where the hike-and-bike trail will be. The article says that the Houston Parks Board paid $950,000 for 27.2 acres on Sims Bayou for the site. The article begins with: "It'll be the center park of a 14-mile chain of seven."

Does that means that the trail will be 14 miles long? If so, it would take about a full day to hike its length, a few hours to ride a bike from one end to the other. It looks interesting.

The estate where that big house sat was the Schaff (or maybe Shaff?) estate. My grandfather was the caretaker on the property back during the Depression era. My mother's family lived in one of the smaller houses that stood on the property at that time. Back in the late '60s or early '70s, my mother made friends with the caretaker of the property at that time. By then the mansion on the property (I remember it being referred to as the Milby Mansion, although my aunt says that it was just the Schaff Estate and the Milby Mansion was located elsewhere) was vacant.

C.F. Schaff, the receiver for the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad, had a "country estate" that was "on the Houston-Galveston Road near Harrisburg," per a 1922 newspaper article.

---

As for the historical marker for the site of the (very) temporary Harrisburg capitol of the Republic (which was in the home of Jane Birdsall Harris, widow of the John Harris whose headstone is pictured above), could it be this one?:

"Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado Railroad"

"Building of a railroad from here to the Brazos, to handle commerce of rich plantations, was attempted unsuccessfully in 1840-41 by early merchant Andrew Briscoe and the Harrises who founded Harrisburg. Their holdings, including Harrisburg townsite, were sold in 1847 to a group of Bostonians and Texans-- headed by San Jacinto hero Gen. Sidney Sherman-- who succeeded in building the first railroad in Texas. The Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado Railway was chartered Feb. 11, 1850. Construction materials, shipped from Boston to Galveston, came up Buffalo Bayou by barges. Chief engineer John A. Williams began survey in May 1851. When a few miles of track were laid, the first passengers ever to ride a train in Texas went to Thomas Point (3 mi. W), April 21, 1853, to a celebration featuring salutes from 'Twin Sisters' cannon used in 1836 Battle of San Jacinto. Four months later tracks reached Stafford's Point, and B. B. B. & C. operations officially began, with Harrisburg as the terminal. One block north of here were depot, roundhouse and docks; a half block south, site of 1836 Texas Capitol. The railroad was sold in 1870, and name was changed to Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio. It eventually became part of the Southern Pacific system."

This is/was marker 10621, erected in 1967 at the corner of Elm & Frio.

3044.jpg

Edited by tmariar

• 3 months later...

Very interesting info. on the two mansions. I grew up in the area, and also heard my grandmother refer to both locations as Milby mansions. Wonder why that is? The one on Old Galveston Rd.* was owned by another man (mentioned in above posts), and stood for quite a while. The original Allen house also was close by at one time, off Hwy 225, where Simms meets Buffalo Bayou, but was moved before the land was subdivided for neighborhoods, and for the sale to Sinclair Refinery.

*Sure would like to know more about that house...and see pictures of it.

Edited by NenaE

Demolished in 1959? :angry::blink::(

Vertigo, do you know anything about the other house, on Old Galveston Rd.? Everyone (East Enders always called it Milby Mansion, too). It apparently wasn't. Maybe they just thought it was because it was by Milby Park. Another thing to research.

Edited by NenaE

Vertigo, do you know anything about the other house, on Old Galveston Rd.? Everyone (East Enders always called it Milby Mansion, too). It apparently wasn't. Maybe they just thought it was because it was by Milby Park. Another thing to research.

Oh my God! That reminds me of one big spacious home that (I think) is still standing on OG near Howard across from the railroad tracks.

This place is of white stucco and oddly shaped like it used to be an Inn or dance hall a long time ago. It is set way in the back of the property but you can drive up to it. It has arches like the mediterranean home you saw at Glenbrook pool area. I do not think this is the mysterious mansion you mention though.

I think we need to wear a Sherlock Holmes trenchcoat, pipe, monacle & magnifying glass to figure this one out... by golly old chap! :lol:

Oh my God! That reminds me of one big spacious home that (I think) is still standing on OG near Howard across from the railroad tracks.

This place is of white stucco and oddly shaped like it used to be an Inn or dance hall a long time ago. It is set way in the back of the property but you can drive up to it. It has arches like the mediterranean home you saw at Glenbrook pool area. I do not think this is the mysterious mansion you mention though.

I think we need to wear a Sherlock Holmes trenchcoat, pipe, monacle & magnifying glass to figure this one out... by golly old chap! :lol:

I think you are talking about the one that sits at around where Park Place meets OG Rd. It faces OG Rd. You are right, that one is very old, as well. There is another post about it (the white stucco) somewhere on HAIF...No it isn't the mansion...there have been numerous posts about it ...was where the oak trees line OGR, west side going South on OGR, across from 'hood north of Pk Place (has Pine in the name).

• 1 month later...
I think you are talking about the one that sits at around where Park Place meets OG Rd. It faces OG Rd. You are right, that one is very old, as well. There is another post about it (the white stucco) somewhere on HAIF...No it isn't the mansion...there have been numerous posts about it ...was where the oak trees line OGR, west side going South on OGR, across from 'hood north of Pk Place (has Pine in the name).

Have an update to my previous post, the neighborhood north of Park Place is Shady Park, has a Blvd. named Pine Gully. The very old white stucco house on OGR looks like it is going to collapse, it has what looks like Craftsman details. I found (while searching HAR) a house close by, on 3 Court Dr. listed as year blt. 1900. Know you can't always trust this, but it looks very old. Wanted to share the link.

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

HCAD lists property addresses: 3 thru 7 W. Court Dr. as structures from either yr. 1900, or early 1930's.

And I still can't figure out why the big house on OGR acreage was called (by many people) Milby Mansion, the only one I know of was located in Harrisburg.

Edited by NenaE

Pretty sure about what I am about to tell you.

I come from an old Harrisburg Family.

Milby Mansion was actually located on the left side of Broadway past Harris Elementary School going toward town. I can't remember whether it burned down or was just torn down many many years ago. We are talking somewhere before peace being declared WWII.

The Grandparents of Charles Dow Milby lived there.

Charles Dow Milby lived in a gorgeous plantation style house with servants quarters accross from my grandmothers house. My Mom tells me it was torn down after Charles Dow's parents died or something of that. My Mom is still alive and is 84 years old. She came to my Grandmothers house after peace was declared and knew the Milby's. If you are curious where this house was, I can tell you my Grandmothers address and the house I speak of was located directly accross the street from her front door. We lived there all of my life up till 3 years ago when we sold it and moved with my husband. My Grandmothers house was built in 1927. located at 7924 Channelside Houston, Texas. What is now Channelside used to be Lawndale. Lawndale was changed to Channelside during Mayor Louie Welch's Administration.

Now the house that you are referring to and that most of my age group referred as "The MIlby Mansion" was in actuality "The Hammon House" owned by John Hammon. From what I understand the Hammonds and Milbys were interconnected by marriage somehow.

All these last names are either interconnected by marriages from the very fargone past or by friendships;

Todd, Milby, Deady, Hammon, Harris.

I am thinking councilman Robb Todd is related in someway to The Harrisburg "Todd Family".

By the way I think I am misspelling "hammon" My Mom says it like Hammond but if I remember correctly she told me "no, not Hammond but Hammon or Hamnon. I'll ask her tomorrow. She's went to bed now.

She called and talked to Charles Dow quite sometime back. That had to be late 80's or early 90's.

Most of these families have burial sites in the Glendale Cemetary down by Harris Elementary.

(See Glendale Cemetary Association.

I hope this helps!

I wonder why you ask if we remember the "Milby Mansion"?

I do and it was beautiful.

Rome, that's interesting info. Thank you! to and your mom for sharing your stories. My grandmother (who was in the first graduating class at Milby HS) called both houses the "Milby" house. So your story makes sense to me. The older home, in Harrisburg, by the underpass, I was told burned down. Later the ruins were leveled, possibly due to it being a hazard. There was once a historical marker around that location, it disappeared. That area is possibly the oldest in Houston. Ran across a survey in the HCAD block books from 1824.

Does anyone one if the Glendale Cemetery is open? I'd read where you had to get a key from somewhere to get in . . . if I come in from out of town would need to know who to talk to or where to go.

Would like to know because my g-g-grandparents are supposed to be buried there too (Folk is the last name). He was a certified pilot from Galveston to New Orleans. Or if anyone's willing to go by and see if they're there and snap a few photos for me, it would be greatly appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Does anyone remember a big house that used to sit on Old Galveston Rd by the name of Milby Mansion? It was about a mile from Broadway. It was torn down some time back and an industrial plant was built on that site. The trees that lined the front of the street are still there. Would appreciate any info.

I'm interested in chatting with anyone who lived and/or partied at the Milby Mansion off OGR between the years of 1972-1975. Some of my aunts and my Mom was living there between those years and I was interested in seeing if there are any pictures of the mansion out there. I'm also interested in researching the history behind the mansion. I'm not looking for the "Milby house" off Broadway in Galveston.

I'm interested in chatting with anyone who lived and/or partied at the Milby Mansion off OGR between the years of 1972-1975. Some of my aunts and my Mom was living there between those years and I was interested in seeing if there are any pictures of the mansion out there. I'm also interested in researching the history behind the mansion. I'm not looking for the "Milby house" off Broadway in Galveston.

The original Milby house was located off Broadway in Houston, in what used to be the town of Harrisburg, Texas. It no longer stands. I can't figure out why people (my grandmother included) always referred to the house further down Old Galveston Road as (also) the Milby house. There is a post above by PamelaTx about the OGR house being the Schaff house. I would like to know as well (through documented proof) who actually owned the house and lived there before the estate was sold to the chemical plants.

As I mentioned last week Vertigo, that white stucco house you talk about was being bulldozed a few weeks ago. Another house down from it dates to the year 1900.

Edited by NenaE

• 2 weeks later...
Pretty sure about what I am about to tell you.

I come from an old Harrisburg Family.

Milby Mansion was actually located on the left side of Broadway past Harris Elementary School going toward town. I can't remember whether it burned down or was just torn down many many years ago. We are talking somewhere before peace being declared WWII.

The Grandparents of Charles Dow Milby lived there.

Charles Dow Milby lived in a gorgeous plantation style house with servants quarters accross from my grandmothers house. My Mom tells me it was torn down after Charles Dow's parents died or something of that. My Mom is still alive and is 84 years old. She came to my Grandmothers house after peace was declared and knew the Milby's. If you are curious where this house was, I can tell you my Grandmothers address and the house I speak of was located directly accross the street from her front door. We lived there all of my life up till 3 years ago when we sold it and moved with my husband. My Grandmothers house was built in 1927. located at 7924 Channelside Houston, Texas. What is now Channelside used to be Lawndale. Lawndale was changed to Channelside during Mayor Louie Welch's Administration.

Now the house that you are referring to and that most of my age group referred as "The MIlby Mansion" was in actuality "The Hammon House" owned by John Hammon. From what I understand the Hammonds and Milbys were interconnected by marriage somehow.

All these last names are either interconnected by marriages from the very fargone past or by friendships;

Todd, Milby, Deady, Hammon, Harris.

I am thinking councilman Robb Todd is related in someway to The Harrisburg "Todd Family".

By the way I think I am misspelling "hammon" My Mom says it like Hammond but if I remember correctly she told me "no, not Hammond but Hammon or Hamnon. I'll ask her tomorrow. She's went to bed now.

She called and talked to Charles Dow quite sometime back. That had to be late 80's or early 90's.

Most of these families have burial sites in the Glendale Cemetary down by Harris Elementary.

(See Glendale Cemetary Association.

I hope this helps!

I wonder why you ask if we remember the "Milby Mansion"?

I do and it was beautiful.

Looks like you are correct about the Hamman name, block books show the position of the house and yards on Old Galveston Road, and the name George Hamman Estate. The position is verified by the Central Road (to the North, leads to Milby Park) & Pine Gully that runs to the South of the property, before Park Place Blvd. There is also a reference to Schaff St. to the north of this property, a name mentioned somewhere on this thread as possible owner.

http://books.tax.hctx.net/v040/AE1997_40-2_0062.jpg

Detail of House & Property: http://books.tax.hctx.net/v040/AE1997_40-2_0063.jpg

Be sure to zoom in for the details.

Edited by NenaE

Looks like you are correct about the Hamman name, block books show the position of the house and yards on Old Galveston Road, and the name George Hamman Estate. The position is verified by the Central Road (to the North, leads to Milby Park) & Pine Gully that runs to the South of the property, before Park Place Blvd. There is also a reference to Schaff St. to the north of this property, a name mentioned somewhere on this thread as possible owner.

http://books.tax.hctx.net/v040/AE1997_40-2_0062.jpg

Detail of House & Property: http://books.tax.hctx.net/v040/AE1997_40-2_0063.jpg

Be sure to zoom in for the details.

interesting...

http://www.hammanfoundation.org/GenInfo.htm

George.gif

George Hamman, born in Calvert, Texas in 1874, was the son of Ella Lawdermilk Hamman and Confederate General William H. Hamman, lawyer, a candidate for Governor of the State and a pioneer in the development of Texas. Mr. Hamman graduated from the University of the South, in Sewanee, Tennessee. He moved to Houston in 1898 to work for Planters and Mechanics National Bank, where he rose from clerk to cashier. After Planters and Mechanics' merger with the Union Bank and Trust, he was appointed Vice-President and on August 23, 1943 became President of Union National Bank. In addition to banking, he devoted much of his energy to the real estate, oil, gas and sulfur industries. In 1906, Mary Josephine Milby married George Hamman. Their union produced no children. They were active in the Episcopal Church and were prominent in Texas civic circles.

notice the board of trustees...Charles D. Milby Jr

MilbyJr.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

You are talking about the Mrs. Jane Harris home site marker on west side of Frio Street between Erath and Elm (600 blk of Fri, no specific address since no structure. Block 6 of the Harrisburg town plat). Very few people know about the marker and fewer can consistently find it. I give Battle of San Jacinto historical tours from Harrisburg to Morgan's Point and the battleground and it is the second stop on my tour. The marker was placed by the San Jacinto Chapter of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas in 1929. The THC does not list it since it was placed before the THC (Texas Historical Commission) came into existence and they did not place it. We are working on getting it on their Historical Atlas and the Harris County Historical Commission will soon have their own historical marker web site with all (regardless of sponsor) markers. Mrs. Harris died in 1869 and the house burned down in 1888.

I'm attaching a picture of the marker. The current lessee of the property had built a fence around it and a bridge to Frio so that people can walk up to the marker. The Texas Flag flies 24/7 at the site.

post-9482-065178800 1287082034_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

I think that I can safely say that the house was either the home of Charles H. Milby or it's a house that was named after him the same way that Milby High School was.

I was doing a bit of research on Avondale and found this platte where a street was originally named Milby but later became what is today Taft street. The platte document is huge and I took a picture with my camera- wish it were better--but i wonder why Milby got this honor-- I may post the other pictures in a different forum and ask that question.