Empire Lofts & Flats At 5005 Hidalgo St.

Subdude

I have always thought that the Manhattan project looked out of place architecturally next to the modern stainless steel arches in uptown. I suppose that the new Empire project will create a little "New York" style village in uptown.

Is it me or is Houston becoming more like Epcot center will various theme areas/lands. For example, we have New York land in uptown and we have little Big Easy in midtown.

Where will they put Tomorrowland?

I have always thought that the Manhattan project looked out of place architecturally next to the modern stainless steel arches in uptown.  I suppose that the new Empire project will create a little "New York" style village in uptown.

Is it me or is Houston becoming more like Epcot center will various theme areas/lands.  For example, we have New York land in uptown and we have little Big Easy in midtown.

The East End Warehouse district? Hey... they're already putting the rail lines through there (Harrisburg and Southeast).

I have always thought that the Manhattan project looked out of place architecturally next to the modern stainless steel arches in uptown.  I suppose that the new Empire project will create a little "New York" style village in uptown.

Is it me or is Houston becoming more like Epcot center will various theme areas/lands.  For example, we have New York land in uptown and we have little Big Easy in midtown.

In hell I hope.

They neeed to put this in downtown or midtown

Oh my goodness. I don't really care for the duck pond, but the water wall. That would be horrible.

The duck pond is protected by a restrictive lease back to the City for the next 24 years. It won't be going anywhere....at least until the lease expires. The WaterWall will also remain as it has become as much of a landmark as the building which it accompanies.

Master Developer/Promoter Randall Davis has done it again. You guys should see the model they have of the building. It is going to be beautiful!

I have heard rumblings, however, that someone is looking to develop the empty parcel just Northwest of the Empire. Currently it is owned by Simon....

All in all, I think the project is great.

I hear that they are trying to make downtown more upbeat with more midrises taking over the parking lots. It is all part of the Framwork 2025 Plan. If they want to get things done more quickly, why didn't they put this development and other developments like this going around town in the CBD.

Personally, I think this project is better looking than the Manhattan... Ziegler Cooper's work has a nice, balanced, clean look to it. Maybe I'm being an optimist (that's not bad here, is it?), but I think this will be the nicest project in the Randall Davis kingdom... and much, much better than condo projects like the Mark and the Mercer - which are right around the corner from this development

• 1 month later...
What's worse are those "loft/apartments" facing the NW corner of the US59/I610 interchange. At least the Manhattan & Empire (tenatively) are brick & not stucco or hardyplank  <_<

Glen

Yeah. Those are the Broadstone Lofts. Were planning to convert into condos but the plans fell through. They are not leasing very well.

Without land, it will cost @ $175/ft...

That is about what we are building at now, but it isnt compounded by how many floors.

So is that to say that a decently sized mid-rise would cost, land excluded:

15 floors

14,000 square feet (4 units @ 3500 sqft or some other breakdown)

$36,750,000?

At a $350 sq/ft retail average (is that far off),

that would make (less land and construction and marketing)

73,500,000?

Now, knowing that land and marketing and construction would need to be removed from that, , it still seems like a sound investment.

Any architects here familiar with this type of project?

more like las vegas with a hodgepodge of themes. some places are pretty cool, and some are downright mistakes.

A really good architect should start designing buildings that tie all of these elements together - good, bad, and otherwise. Houston was known for great architecture in the 70's and early 80's - it needs to become known for that again.

A really good architect should start designing buildings that tie all of these elements together - good, bad, and otherwise.  Houston was known for great architecture in the 70's and early 80's - it needs to become known for that again.

yeah, i think they are playing it too safe. i really appreciated the republic bank building, etc. that pushed the design limits in downtown. now they are just building these really safe, boring boxes.

• 2 months later...

I agree. The current "modern" phase needs to be monitored, however I believe anything new and unique is usually better than some rehash (i.e. copy) of historic/classic styles.

The concern about sustainablility (will it last 30 years?) is very valid. What if the "modern" style doesn't hold?