Empire Lofts & Flats At 5005 Hidalgo St.

Subdude

The 60's and 70's really did not present many very good designs. That period was very boring, and lacking in design, and examples of these can be seen throught downtown..simple glass towers, with not too many frills, and often, horrible glass color. If anything, I prefer the surge of postmodernism in the 80's, when architectural icons such as the BOA and Transco Tower were built. Simple, but..timeless. The postmodern era , of course, harkened back to the old styles, like..the art deco period, etc. Most of today's modern stuff is like the modern stuff back in the 70's- they thiught it would be radical..but in a few decades, they look horrid. I'll stick to postmodernism, thankyouverymuch, as well as modern stuff that is influcenced by postmodernism slightly.

I don't think the styles of the 1960s and 1970s will ever exactly come back, but they will continue to influence architecture going forward, particularly the "high modernism" or international period of the 1950s-1960s (Mies et al.), which still serves as a template for a lot of design. I don't really see the Brutalist fad of the 1970s having much revival potential, since to current tastes it comes off as a bit inhuman. As for post-modernism, it was a needed break at the time. Its moment has gone in terms of major buildings like skyscrapers, but it still seems to be a dominant influence for a lot of commercial and residential works, especially in its use of stripped-down historical ornamentation references. Just about every strip center built nowadays picks up on that.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

To bring up an old thread, the Empire is starting to rise.

According to their sign they are 50% sold.

10-23

empire.jpg

EDIT: at first I thought it was too big, but it seems photobucket cropped it even more than I did. Which is odd considering it let me put a 2500x2000 one on earlier.

Edited by YakuzaIce

• The title was changed to Empire Lofts & Flats At 5005 Hidalgo St.