Selecting Community In Katy

We are looking into the Katy area and were wondering about others' opinions on the various communities. Could you rank what you consider to be the most upscale/nicest ones?

Also, how would you describe the Katy/Grand Parkway area in general?

Thanks so much!

1.) Windsor Park Lakes

2.) Westside Forest

3.) LakeForest

4.) Lake Pointe Estates

5.) Cinco Ranch at Bayou Park

6.) Seven Meadows

7.) Parklake Village

8.) Grand Lakes

9.) Falcon Point

10.) Kelliwood Lakes

11.) other Kelliwoods

12.) everything else (green trails, nottingham, etc)

...the first two are farther east than grand parkway (windsor = off baker, forest = off s fry close to kingsland)

I didnt know how expensive you wanted to purchase a home but these neighborhoods range in prices from $185k- over $2 mil

...there is also another gated neighborhood in Katy that I cannot remember the name of but my friend lived there and it was extremely nice (his dad was the President of BP and they sold their home in 2003 for $1.1 mil)

the Grand Parkway area is a great area of town seeing all the new developments going up in the area. if they get their feet off the ground, there should be quite a few uptown park type areas and also Simon and Interfin are trying to establish a Galleria type mall north of i-10 on grand parkway. The new medical center is also near Grand Parkway. the only downside is that they are going to turn 99 into a toll road, so an EZ tag is required.

other ppl on the board may be a lot more helpful in the future developments of the area and the traffic problems.

Windsor Park Lakes! I used to live there. Unless they've expanded? Last I saw, it was merely a cul-de-sac.

As far as Cinco goes, it's its own city. A league of its own, if you will. I find that there is, and always has been since its inception, an elitist quality to the people that live there. Not that this is a bad thing. I've seen how it's expanded, and I have to say that I enjoy when a community has tight reigns on how high store signs are off the ground and the appearance of strip centers look. Even the Public Storage building over there looks nice! Everyone knows Public Storage is a usually a huge eye-sore. They're big on trees and there's even a Cinco FD and PD.

As for traffic along Grand Parkway, you're in for it. I lived for awhile in a gated community just west of the GP, and it was quite the ordeal to get on it, unless it was 5am or 10pm. Now that I'm sure it's closer to being done, I'll bet it's worse. It seems that the traffic on I-10 starts to back up at Fry Rd in the mornings, so if you're already on via the GP, you'll be able to get into the HOV no problem.

Of course, now that I get to commute against everyone heading into downtown, I don't really notice a problem. :D

Edited by Kirzania

• 2 weeks later...
Check out Firethorne at Firethorne.Info. I live here, and it is turning into a nice neighborhood. They have 1440 acres to build on.

Avalon at Seven Meadows (we love looking at the new homes - but very expensive)

Grand Lakes (new section west of the Grand Parkway/Fry)

Many new Cinco Ranch neighborhoods going up on the west side of the Grand Parkway

The new HEB Plus (Fry Road/Grand Parkway) and La Centerra (Cinco Ranch Blvd/Grand Parkway) will be great for the area

The Westpark Tollway, improvements on the Grand Parkway and the I-10 expansion have really made things easier to get to.

I love this area.

Lots to choose from.... After about a year of looking I am building in Grayson Lakes. Just seems "roomy" out there!!! We chose Meritage as the builder.

Good Luck!

Grayson Lakes is nice, they just need to add a couple of lanes on Katy-Flewellen, before somebody "flews" off the side of the road.

Edited by TJones

Also try Falcon Point Estates. Grayson Lakes is good, too. Westheimer Lakes North has some pretty large homes for under 300,000. I still think Firethorne is your best bet.

Is there really a neighborhood called Westheimer Lakes? That name combination alone proves that these developers don't know anything about the cities they build in, and that they probably just put different nature words into a hat and see what they can come up with. It's not just Katy, but in Cypress and Spring as well that they just recycle the same words over and over in different combinations for all these neighborhoods going up in the crazy 1996-2006 housing boom. Developers in the 1970s would have laughed at this sort of thing.

I bet the word list they use looks something like this:

meadows

ranch

lakes

estates

villages

pointe/point

creek

crossing

pines

timber

trails/trails of/trails at

park

oaks/oaks of " "

bridge

wood/woods

springs

falls

Just throw any of those words into different combinations and you have just about every neighborhood in Katy, Cypress, or Spring. You can even make high school names with these words!

I don't know, when I think of Westheimer, I think of seedy night clubs and aging strip malls, not lakes.

Edited by PureAuteur

Is there really a neighborhood called Westheimer Lakes? That name combination alone proves that these developers don't know anything about the cities they build in, and that they probably just put different nature words into a hat and see what they can come up with. It's not just Katy, but in Cypress and Spring as well that they just recycle the same words over and over in different combinations for all these neighborhoods going up in the crazy 1996-2006 housing boom. Developers in the 1970s would have laughed at this sort of thing.

I bet the word list they use looks something like this:

meadows

ranch

lakes

estates

villages

pointe/point

creek

crossing

pines

timber

trails/trails of/trails at

park

oaks/oaks of " "

bridge

wood/woods

springs

falls

Just throw any of those words into different combinations and you have just about every neighborhood in Katy, Cypress, or Spring. You can even make high school names with these words!

I don't know, when I think of Westheimer, I think of seedy night clubs and aging strip malls, not lakes.

I'm also thinking that they call it Westheimer Lakes because they will build lakes inside the community.

• 3 weeks later...

The Katy area is more or less served by the Katy Independent School District, which includes the city of Katy, small portions of the city of Houston, and several unincorporated areas such as Cinco Ranch.

A few areas with Katy addresses are in the Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know much about Falcon Ranch? Falcon Pointe is almost built out and we are wanting to move in the vicinity.

All Right, as i live in Falcon Ranch, i can tell you everything. It is probably a diamond in the ruff. You get all the convieniences of Cinco Ranch Schools, Shopping is less than 1 mile away, its a peacful community. And The grandparkway is about a mile away! But, here at Falcon Ranch they are almost built out. I would say about a year or so. Also HOA is not as expensive as the surrounding communities.

Does anyone know much about Falcon Ranch? Falcon Pointe is almost built out and we are wanting to move in the vicinity.

All Right, as i live in Falcon Ranch, i can tell you everything. It is probably a diamond in the ruff. You get all the convieniences of Cinco Ranch Schools, Shopping is less than 1 mile away, its a peacful community. And The grandparkway is about a mile away! But, here at Falcon Ranch they are almost built out. I would say about a year or so. Also HOA is not as expensive as the surrounding communities.

Hi,

I just wanted to know your guys opinion on Westheimer lakes.

Pros of W'lakes:

1. Easy in/out to Westpark Tollway.

2. Equidistance from I-59 and I 1-10

3. Affordable pricing

Cons:

1. Lamar ISD

2. Considered "Rural" area

Please tell me your opinion on this.

Regards

Westheimer Lakes North is in Katy ISD...

* Kilpatrick Elementary School

* Beckendorrff Junior High School

* Seven Lakes High School

Westheimer Lakes in LCISD is zoned to:

* Austin Elementary School

* Briscoe Junior High School

* Foster High School

Edited by VicMan