Minimax Grocery Store At 1201 Strawberry Rd.

foxmulder

My family and I lived in the East End until the mid-1950's. There was a Henke & Pillot on Polk near the underpass and my mother shopped there often. I remember it well from the WWII years before it was remodeled. It was nothing like today's clean, brightly lit supermarkets. It had no air conditioning; black Hunter fans on long downrods hung from the ceiling. The floor was cement. Shopping carts were lightweight metal frames with removable wire baskets on the top and bottom racks. Their wheels were small and often worn out because there weren't replacement parts due to the war.

There were no open refrigerator cases filled with prepackaged food; meat, fish, whole chickens and delicatessen items on white enamel trays surrounded by rows of bright green fake rubber "leaves" were in glass front cases. Some of the cases had pink neon lights in them to make the meat look fresher. The butcher cut what you wanted, weighed it, wrapped it in pale pink paper and wrote the price on it in crayon. You thanked him and put it in your "basket", where it usually leaked. The produce department had seasonal, mostly locally grown items only, a small selection by today's standards. Paper bags were furnished so the customer could choose her own fruit and vegetables; an attendant weighed them and marked the price on the bag. Dried beans, coffee beans, candy were in glass front bins and were measured out and weighed for the customer. Milk (usually whole with cream layered on the top) cream and cottage cheese were in returnable glass bottles, as were soft drinks and beer. The aisles of canned and packaged goods were few and skimpily stocked by today's standards. Everything there had its price stamped in purple ink. A small freezer chest held square pint and quart packages of ice cream; frozen foods were virtually unknown.

At the checkout stand, an attendant took the groceries out of the "basket" and put them on the counter. There was no conveyor belt; instead, the cashier dragged them toward her with a three-sided wooden frame attached to tracks on the edges of the counter. Although the cash register was electric, it printed only the prices and total on the register tape. Everybody paid cash, and cashiers actually had to know how to make change. Anybody with more than two brown paper bags of groceries had them carried out to the car, and a dime tip to the bag boy was considered HUGE!

During the war, my mother also shopped at the old Weingarten's store on Harrisburg and Dumble (now that handsomely restored brick building,) and a short-lived place called FoodTown, which had better meat than Henke's or Weingarten's. FoodTown also managed to get other things that were scarce during the war, but nobody asked any questions.

Note: in this post I did not go into the use of food ration stamps - that's for the section on Houston during WWII.

Very interesting writing. Now you've taught me that they were called "glass front bins." When we would go into Newberry's in Gulfgate, we would look into those "glass front bins" at the jelly beans, cashews, candy corn, malted milk balls, etc. The attendant used a steel scoop to get some out, pour it onto the scale, then put them into a small paper (some places used waxed) bag, and you'd snack on it while the grownups did their shopping. In grocery stores, I was sometimes given a box of animal crackers to keep me quiet while my mom shopped. I remember going to the Weingarten's store in Gulfgate.

There's one negative result I see to the lower prices of TVs, air conditioners, etc.: You see them disposed of in all of the ditches that run alongside of the streets and roads. Since a lot of city garbage trucks will not pickup those kind of things, people simply dump them wherever they can.

I guess that brings up the question: Where do I get rid of my TV when it goes bad? I haven't ever gotten rid of a TV. I just give 'em away to someone when I get a new one (well, I've only done that twice, so it's not like I'm buying a new TV every year).

My current TV is 10 years old. Still works great, but who knows how much longer it will last? So, if it goes kaput, I guess I can't put it in the trash? So where does it go?

Very interesting writing. Now you've taught me that they were called "glass front bins." When we would go into Newberry's in Gulfgate, we would look into those "glass front bins" at the jelly beans, cashews, candy corn, malted milk balls, etc. The attendant used a steel scoop to get some out, pour it onto the scale, then put them into a small paper (some places used waxed) bag, and you'd snack on it while the grownups did their shopping. In grocery stores, I was sometimes given a box of animal crackers to keep me quiet while my mom shopped. I remember going to the Weingarten's store in Gulfgate.

Well, living as long as I have gives me an appreciation of the past that I didn't have when I was younger - a sense of history of these parts, especially since I'm a native Houstonian.

A lot of stores had those wonderful candy counters. All the five and dime stores downtown had them. There was one at the Sears store on Main Street at least through the 1950's. When the downtown Foley's (now Macy's) opened in its present location, they had a candy counter selling quality chocolates by the piece (or by the box, packed to order).

Animal crackers - yum! I still like 'em! They were a nickel a box when I was a kid and a fairly wholesome snack, compared to what kids eat today.

Well, living as long as I have gives me an appreciation of the past that I didn't have when I was younger - a sense of history of these parts, especially since I'm a native Houstonian.

A lot of stores had those wonderful candy counters. All the five and dime stores downtown had them. There was one at the Sears store on Main Street at least through the 1950's. When the downtown Foley's (now Macy's) opened in its present location, they had a candy counter selling quality chocolates by the piece (or by the box, packed to order).

Animal crackers - yum! I still like 'em! They were a nickel a box when I was a kid and a fairly wholesome snack, compared to what kids eat today.

I'll be 50 next year. Just like you, I have an appreciation of the past that I didn't have when I was younger. For example, the understanding the telephone was at one time fairly simple. When it would ring, you would simply answer it. There was no Caller ID. If you called someone and the line was busy, you simply had to hang up and call them back later. There was no Call Waiting. You dialedthe number you wanted to call. Now we push buttons, but we still call it dial.

Yes, a long distance call cost a lot more back then. But you simply knew not to call a city that was long distance from where you live. Yes, I have a cell phone, but I hardly use it. Mostly for emergencies. It's prepaid. I don't have to open up and be shocked by a bill where my daughter sent 161 text messages (that happened to a former co-worker of mine). It doesn't rule and control my life the way I've seen it do many other people who talk while driving, in stores, etc. I bought a pre-paid long distance calling card to use on my home phone so that I won't have an unpleasant surprise whenever I open that bill.

People could simplify their lives if they really wanted to. Go to bed earlier, so that you can get up earlier, so that you can leave earlier, so that you can drive slower and get to work on time (maybe even earlier). But who am I?

I guess that brings up the question: Where do I get rid of my TV when it goes bad? I haven't ever gotten rid of a TV. I just give 'em away to someone when I get a new one (well, I've only done that twice, so it's not like I'm buying a new TV every year).

My current TV is 10 years old. Still works great, but who knows how much longer it will last? So, if it goes kaput, I guess I can't put it in the trash? So where does it go?

Join the crowd! Just dump it in a ditch alongside the street like everyone else does.

I'm just being sarcastic. What I need to do is to call the sanitation office of the city I live in and ask them if their trucks will pickup broken down TVs & appliances. If they say "no," I don't know what I'd do. Maybe you could give your city's sanitation office a call and ask.

Yes, I'll be 50 next year. Like you, I have "an appreciation of the past that I didn't have when I was younger." But some modern items have been helpful. For example, I live alone. I don't have a stove or cooking utensils. Why should I cook? The microwave oven is enough for me. I have one bowl and one dish. I buy only canned and other non-perishable food. The only thing that I keep in my small, manual defrost refrigerator is bottled water. When I'm hungry, I simply open up a can of something and nuke it.

I just try not to let modern items "rule" or "take over" my life. Cell phones have done just that to many people. I see them driving and shopping while yakking away on them. I have a cell phone, but it's the prepaid kind. I've used it only for emergencies. When I'm driving or anywhere out in public, it's in my briefcase turned off and locked up.

I'm 45 and I grew up in Lake Jackson. I clearly remember Henke and Pillot in Freeport, and I am sure they didn't change to Kroger until about 1968 or so. There was also a Weingarten's and a Weiners in a shopping center in Lake Jackson, along with a Montgomery Ward catalog storefront, and I think a green stamp redemption place.

I remember tube testers in 7-11 and hardware stores until I was in high school (approx. 1977-80)

I remember stamp redemption places -- Top Value, Gold Bond, and S&H Green.

I remember the Weingarten's in Rice Village -- it was the only 24-hour grocery in the area and before ATM's it was one of the few places to cash a check. This would have been 1980-82. As it faltered and died it was really NASTY. It belongs in a different forum, but the Village circa 1980 was rather scruffy and a little scary.

There was a Weiners in Pearland until 2000 or so. Now it's a Salvation Army store. Several years ago my wife was very disappointed to find that she couldn't buy hot dogs at Weiners. We were both very hungry that day.

marmer

Yes, I'll be 50 next year. Like you, I have "an appreciation of the past that I didn't have when I was younger." But some modern items have been helpful. For example, I live alone. I don't have a stove or cooking utensils. Why should I cook? The microwave oven is enough for me. I have one bowl and one dish. I buy only canned and other non-perishable food. The only thing that I keep in my small, manual defrost refrigerator is bottled water. When I'm hungry, I simply open up a can of something and nuke it.

I just try not to let modern items "rule" or "take over" my life. Cell phones have done just that to many people. I see them driving and shopping while yakking away on them. I have a cell phone, but it's the prepaid kind. I've used it only for emergencies. When I'm driving or anywhere out in public, it's in my briefcase turned off and locked up.

Shhh... I'll be 50 tomorrow. Dont tell anyone.

I loved the candy counter at the Sears on Harrisburg and the popcorn they sold from the little window on the outside of the store. There was always popcorn all over the floor everywhere you looked. They had a great toy department downstairs. Thats where you could always find me with my mouth full of popcorn and candy looking at the toys.

I'm 45 and I grew up in Lake Jackson. I clearly remember Henke and Pillot in Freeport, and I am sure they didn't change to Kroger until about 1968 or so.

Did the change from Henke & Pillot to Kroger happen at all stores at roughly the same time, or was it phased in over time? I can barely remember my parents talking about "going to Henke's" when I was very young, but the only Kroger that was near our house was built after the name change. I'll have to ask my folks if they remember which Henke's they patronized back then.

I think there was an S&H Redemption Center in Merchants Park - I used to pore over their catalogs for hours, entranced by all the treasures to be had if one accumulated enough stamps. We used to keep all of the various redemption stamps we got in a big cardboard box under one of the cabinets in our kitchen - I recall some yellow stamps that were larger than the small green S&H ones, but I can't remember who issued those.

I remember the Weingarten's in Rice Village -- it was the only 24-hour grocery in the area and before ATM's it was one of the few places to cash a check. This would have been 1980-82. As it faltered and died it was really NASTY. It belongs in a different forum, but the Village circa 1980 was rather scruffy and a little scary.

It was scruffy, but I never really felt unsafe there even after dark. I was a freshman at Rice in 1982, and I used to walk over to the Village from campus all the time. I liked the sleepy early '80s Village better than the traffic-congested, shopping-focused latter-day one, but then again I don't have much use for "upscale" retail establishments.

I'm 45 and I grew up in Lake Jackson. I clearly remember Henke and Pillot in Freeport, and I am sure they didn't change to Kroger until about 1968 or so. There was also a Weingarten's and a Weiners in a shopping center in Lake Jackson, along with a Montgomery Ward catalog storefront, and I think a green stamp redemption place.

I remember tube testers in 7-11 and hardware stores until I was in high school (approx. 1977-80)

There was a Weiners in Pearland until 2000 or so. Now it's a Salvation Army store. Several years ago my wife was very disappointed to find that she couldn't buy hot dogs at Weiners. We were both very hungry that day.

marmer

I remember the pink Big Bonus stamps. The redemption center was at the y where Telephone and Reville split. My mom got her purse stolen there the last time we went in the early 70's

Did the change from Henke & Pillot to Kroger happen at all stores at roughly the same time, or was it phased in over time? I can barely remember my parents talking about "going to Henke's" when I was very young, but the only Kroger that was near our house was built after the name change. I'll have to ask my folks if they remember which Henke's they patronized back then.

I think there was an S&H Redemption Center in Merchants Park - I used to pore over their catalogs for hours, entranced by all the treasures to be had if one accumulated enough stamps. We used to keep all of the various redemption stamps we got in a big cardboard box under one of the cabinets in our kitchen - I recall some yellow stamps that were larger than the small green S&H ones, but I can't remember who issued those.

It was scruffy, but I never really felt unsafe there even after dark. I was a freshman at Rice in 1982, and I used to walk over to the Village from campus all the time. I liked the sleepy early '80s Village better than the traffic-congested, shopping-focused latter-day one, but then again I don't have much use for "upscale" retail establishments.

Sounds like you and I may have known each other IRL! I was a freshman at Rice in 1980! Also, in Lake Jackson, after the Henke's in Freeport changed to Kroger, there was a newer Kroger built in the mid-'70s. About that time Kroger built a newer store in Freeport, too, and the old Henke store changed hands. It was Gerlands for a while and now I think it's an independent. Still a grocery store, though.

Shhh... I'll be 50 tomorrow. Dont tell anyone.

I loved the candy counter at the Sears on Harrisburg and the popcorn they sold from the little window on the outside of the store. There was always popcorn all over the floor everywhere you looked. They had a great toy department downstairs. Thats where you could always find me with my mouth full of popcorn and candy looking at the toys.

Happy Birthday!!!

I remember the pink Big Bonus stamps. The redemption center was at the y where Telephone and Reville split. My mom got her purse stolen there the last time we went in the early 70's

I thought that Big Bonus stamps were blue. But when I went into the Navy I was told that I was 84% color blind. When I lived in Houston, my mother's friend bought her groceries at A&P. My mom said that she didn't go shopping with her because A&P gave out Plaid Stamps, and she preferred Big Bonus which is one of the reasons why she shopped at the Weingarten's in Gulfgate.

LOL

That's like a time when I was looking for a job in the Help Wanted section of the newspaper back when I was unskilled. I saw an ad for job openings in Labor & Delivery which caught my eye. It was at a hospital. I was getting ready to go down there and inquire about the job when I realized that the ad meant that they wanted nurses for the maternity ward.

I liked the sleepy early '80s Village better than the traffic-congested, shopping-focused latter-day one, but then again I don't have much use for "upscale" retail establishments.

Oh, by the way, AMEN to that, brotha! (or sista, depending on your gender)

The city recycling center on Westpark @ Fountainview takes old TVs, computer monitors, other electronic junk. I think there's a list availabe on the city website of recycling centers and what they'll take. We have private garbage service in my neighborhood but my recycling bin keeps getting stolen so I just save things up and make a trip 2 or 3 times a year with my car stuffed with plastic and glass bottles, newspapers and magazines, etc.

The Henke and Pillot on 288 @ Gulf Blvd in what was then Velasco and the Weingarten's on 2nd street just down from Brazosport Hi were built about the same time. There was also a big Penney's in the Weingarten center. The buildings have been razed but I think the pad is still there. Before that the big grocery store in the area was Girouard's on 2nd street in Freeport @ the old railroad trestle. It's been a Piggly Wiggly and IGA and is still there, now a sporting goods store, I think, but still Girouard's. It probably goes back to the 20s or 30s.

The first grocery in Lake Jackson was not even a supermarket, it was a place you went up to a counter and told the clerk what you wanted and they got it for you. That may have been during food rationing and I was very young and only vaguely remember it. It was on North Parking Place, behind the Lake Theatre.

Then there was what I think was a Piggly Wiggly at Parking Way at This Way, later an A&P (or maybe it was the other way around) and Shadduck's, right across This Way Street. Both buildings are still there.

I may be off on my suggestion of when H&P changed to Kroger - if you're 45 and you remember Henke and Pillot.

The Henke and Pillot on 288 @ Gulf Blvd in what was then Velasco and the Weingarten's on 2nd street just down from Brazosport Hi were built about the same time. There was also a big Penney's in the Weingarten center. The buildings have been razed but I think the pad is still there. Before that the big grocery store in the area was Girouard's on 2nd street in Freeport @ the old railroad trestle. It's been a Piggly Wiggly and IGA and is still there, now a sporting goods store, I think, but still Girouard's. It probably goes back to the 20s or 30s.

The first grocery in Lake Jackson was not even a supermarket, it was a place you went up to a counter and told the clerk what you wanted and they got it for you. That may have been during food rationing and I was very young and only vaguely remember it. It was on North Parking Place, behind the Lake Theatre.

Then there was what I think was a Piggly Wiggly at Parking Way at This Way, later an A&P (or maybe it was the other way around) and Shadduck's, right across This Way Street. Both buildings are still there.

I may be off on my suggestion of when H&P changed to Kroger - if you're 45 and you remember Henke and Pillot.

Back in the early 1960s I remember a Henke & Pillot where Telephone Road intersected with Reveille Street. There was a Monterey House restaurant across the street from it.

You and I must have been stomping the same ground. I remember all those stores very well. Yes, the Weingarten/Penney's shopping center has been demolished. Girouard's is still there and surprisingly similar to what it used to be. In the old days it was a reasonably good place to get fishing tackle, nautical charts, and boating gear, along with a small selection of groceries. It was certainly reasonable to see rubber boots stocked right next to canned goods at Girouard's. A true general store.

That I don't remember, not quite old enough for that. What I remember behind Lake Theatre was La Velle dress shop, Younglandia, Croney's men's wear, Nowlin Jewelry, and Garrett's pharmacy. Also Woodrum-Duensing hardware and Jack Reid's appliances across the street in the other direction.

I don't remember Piggly Wiggly. I clearly remember Shaddock's, which is where my mother started shopping when Henke's changed to Kroger. I also clearly remember that groceries for a week for a family of three cost $20.00! The grocery store that was across the street from Shaddock's was A&P. On the same side of the street as Shaddock's was Wacker's dime store and Brockman's clothing store. Across the street was Sportville, a wonderland of model cars and sporting goods. When I was really small they had a big slot car track in the back. Next door to that was the Brazosport museum and next to that the library. Then A&P.

I am pretty sure about the change because we stopped going there shortly after I entered school. No earlier than 1966, and probably a year or two later.

I also remember Woolworth's in Lake Jackson, anchoring the Weingarten's, Weiners, Ward's and Woolworth-quartet shopping center at the corner of Plantation and Dixie Drive. It had the characteristic unforgettable smell of popcorn, candy, and plastic. I barely remember Grant's in Freeport, which was a similar kind of store, I believe. In those days we'd see national restaurant chains advertised on TV and they were not in our area. I remember what a big deal it was when KFC opened on Plantation Drive.

I've already posted before about how sad I was to see Brazosport High School so horribly defaced, even though they did keep and renovate the auditorium, thank goodess.

My timeline is as follows: born 1961, graduated Brazoswood HS 1980, graduated Rice U. 1985, rented in Montrose until 1990, have lived in Pearland since then. My mother still lives in Lake Jackson, in the same house she's owned since 1952.

marmer

You and I must have been stomping the same ground. I remember all those stores very well. Yes, the Weingarten/Penney's shopping center has been demolished. Girouard's is still there and surprisingly similar to what it used to be. In the old days it was a reasonably good place to get fishing tackle, nautical charts, and boating gear, along with a small selection of groceries. It was certainly reasonable to see rubber boots stocked right next to canned goods at Girouard's. A true general store.

That I don't remember, not quite old enough for that. What I remember behind Lake Theatre was La Velle dress shop, Younglandia, Croney's men's wear, Nowlin Jewelry, and Garrett's pharmacy. Also Woodrum-Duensing hardware and Jack Reid's appliances across the street in the other direction.

I don't remember Piggly Wiggly. I clearly remember Shaddock's, which is where my mother started shopping when Henke's changed to Kroger. I also clearly remember that groceries for a week for a family of three cost $20.00! The grocery store that was across the street from Shaddock's was A&P. On the same side of the street as Shaddock's was Wacker's dime store and Brockman's clothing store. Across the street was Sportville, a wonderland of model cars and sporting goods. When I was really small they had a big slot car track in the back. Next door to that was the Brazosport museum and next to that the library. Then A&P.

I am pretty sure about the change because we stopped going there shortly after I entered school. No earlier than 1966, and probably a year or two later.

I also remember Woolworth's in Lake Jackson, anchoring the Weingarten's, Weiners, Ward's and Woolworth-quartet shopping center at the corner of Plantation and Dixie Drive. It had the characteristic unforgettable smell of popcorn, candy, and plastic. I barely remember Grant's in Freeport, which was a similar kind of store, I believe. In those days we'd see national restaurant chains advertised on TV and they were not in our area. I remember what a big deal it was when KFC opened on Plantation Drive.

I've already posted before about how sad I was to see Brazosport High School so horribly defaced, even though they did keep and renovate the auditorium, thank goodess.

My timeline is as follows: born 1961, graduated Brazoswood HS 1980, graduated Rice U. 1985, rented in Montrose until 1990, have lived in Pearland since then. My mother still lives in Lake Jackson, in the same house she's owned since 1952.

marmer

Kind of off topic, I read that the physical address of Rice University is 6100 South Main. But I can't find the physical address of the University of Houston. Is it near Rice? There probably aren't any grocery stores in that area.

Kind of off topic, I read that the physical address of Rice University is 6100 South Main. But I can't find the physical address of the University of Houston. Is it near Rice? There probably aren't any grocery stores in that area.

UH is at 4800 Calhoun Street. It's not exactly near Rice, though they're both inside the Loop. They are

Regarding Henke-Pilot/Kroger, this is what I can offer.

I used to work for Kroger and one day, I went to the downtown library and dug through old newspapers to find out when Henke-Pilot became Kroger.

In 1957, Kroger bought Henke-Pilot. By 1964, the stores were called "Henke's". The logo was a bordered oval that Kroger still uses. Later that year, the Kroger logo was added to the Henke's logo and from 1964 to 1971, the ads said "Henke's-Kroger". Kroger dropped the Henke's name in 1971.

I would like to know what the store signs read. My presumption is that older stores said Henke's, while stores built during that time said Kroger. However, I was born in 1979 and my parents moved here in 1974. Anybody remember?

Thank you very much TheShadow for posting that timeline. I think that helps to clear up some confusion.

marmer

Same stomping ground but very different time periods. My family moved onto Ivy Court in the government duplexes in April, '43. I was still in diapers and have no memory of that home. We were only there a few months before renting a house on Winding Way. My parents always said we were one of the first few dozen families in LJ but after the 50th Anny celebration in 93, they sat down and made a list of who they knew was there earlier and concluded we were the 12th family to move in. I don't think anybody was keeping records and there's no way to confirm that. Dad's dream had been to be what today we would call a custom home builder, designing and building homes for individual families, but was youngest of 12 and graduated during the Depression and couldn't afford college. He was self educated and had already built a honeymoon cottage for my Mother and him in Channelview though, so he drew up plans and applied for a permit but was turned down. Everybody had to live in one of the houses designed by Alden Dow in the beginning; you couldn't even buy a place until 1947, everyone rented. Eventually we built a place on Oyster Creek in Southern Oaks, which was then outside the city limits. I was devastated when my parents sold that place after I had moved out on my own. I loved that house and LJ and I almost disowned them. They moved away from LJ for many years but moved back and spent the last few years of their lives there.

The grocery store I think I remember was across N. Parking Place from Nowlin's. There was also a washateria. I was very young and have only very vague memories but they may have been only temporary buildings. I saw TV for the first time in the window of Nowlin's. He bought a set and left it on in the window at night (KLEE-TV, Channel 2, was only on in the evenings). My Dad said you had to be rich enough to own a jewelry store to buy one of those things but we had one in less than a year, I think. I won my Transoceanic radio mentioned above from Jack Reid at his grand opening. It was second hand, probably Jack's, and I think he wanted to get rid of it, but I was absolutely ecstatic. The thing gave me fits for years; tubes burned out about every 2 weeks. I wish I still had the damn thing, though. I applied for a job at Shadduck's when they opened as a sacker or stocker but was relieved I didn't get it -- I didn't want to work that summer. Couple of my buddies were hired though and I spent considerable time hanging out there talking to them in the aisles as they stocked shelves about our camping trip plans or whatever.

Woodrum and Duensing was like the grocery store - you could go in an tell them what you wanted and they'd get it for you. At least that's what I had to do when my Dad sent me down there to get something for him -- I usually had no idea what I was looking for.

I remember Brockman's. They were a rather late arrival; I think they were based in Angleton. We went to Grif's on Park in Freeport or Penney's or came to Houston to Sear's, Battelstein's or Mosk's for clothes and almost never shopped at Brockman's. Across This Way from Brockman's was the Ben Franklin, maybe where you say Sportville was later. I spent a goodly portion of my allowance on model airplane, boat and car kits at Ben Franklin. Next to that was Lake Drug and on the end of that strip, Burley Schmidts's Humble station, the first gas station in LJ. Going the other way, between Ben Franklin and Piggly Wiggly was the Style Mart, a dry goods and furniture store with those overhead pneumatic tubes that took your bill and money off to a cashier in a glass booth overlooking the whole store. The LJ library later went into that space.

I don't remember the Woolworth's at all. Mom had worked as a checker at a Weingarten's in Montrose in the 30s (and Dad had worked as a sacker at Henke's in the Heights). She always preferred Weingarten's and we did most of our grocery shopping in Freeport until the Weingarten's opened in LJ. She almost never went in Henke's in Velasco.

I've been going through old clippings and photographs and scanning them lately. Someone needs to start a Historic Brazosport forum like this Historic Houston forum so I'll have some place to post them.

Where is the thread with your comments on BHS?

Thank you very much TheShadow for posting that timeline. I think that helps to clear up some confusion.

Same stomping ground but very different time periods. [snip]

Eventually we built a place on Oyster Creek in Southern Oaks, which was then outside the city limits. I was devastated when my parents sold that place after I had moved out on my own. I loved that house and LJ and I almost disowned them. They moved away from LJ for many years but moved back and spent the last few years of their lives there.

Sounds like you were contemporaneous with my older brother, who graduated from Brazosport HS in 1966.

My best friend from high school lived at 201 Southern Oaks Drive, in a house that backed up to the creek. Nice area. Back then I'll bet it was REALLY country.

The grocery store I think I remember was across N. Parking Place from Nowlin's. There was also a washateria. I was very young and have only very vague memories but they may have been only temporary buildings. I saw TV for the first time in the window of Nowlin's. He bought a set and left it on in the window at night (KLEE-TV, Channel 2, was only on in the evenings). My Dad said you had to be rich enough to own a jewelry store to buy one of those things but we had one in less than a year, I think. I won my Transoceanic radio mentioned above from Jack Reid at his grand opening. It was second hand, probably Jack's, and I think he wanted to get rid of it, but I was absolutely ecstatic. The thing gave me fits for years; tubes burned out about every 2 weeks.
I remember the washateria (I think it's Dominos Pizza now) but next door to that was a savings and loan, and then Lake Theatre. Probably the savings and loan, which seemed fairly new, was where the grocery was. My mother worked as a bookkeeper at Nowlins from about 1971 until 1985 or so. She was very sad when old Mr. Nowlin died about 1977. And my parents knew Jack Reid very well and bought a lot of appliances from him.
Woodrum and Duensing was like the grocery store - you could go in an tell them what you wanted and they'd get it for you. At least that's what I had to do when my Dad sent me down there to get something for him -- I usually had no idea what I was looking for. [snip]I remember Brockman's. They were a rather late arrival; I think they were based in Angleton. We went to Grif's on Park in Freeport or Penney's or came to Houston to Sear's, Battelstein's or Mosk's for clothes and almost never shopped at Brockman's.

I do remember they had a big parts counter. They were also a Schwinn bicycle dealer and that's where I got my 1977 Schwinn Suburban (still have it.) We did most of our clothes shopping at Brockmans or at Weiners. Never to Houston.

Across This Way from Brockman's was the Ben Franklin, maybe where you say Sportville was later. I spent a goodly portion of my allowance on model airplane, boat and car kits at Ben Franklin. Next to that was Lake Drug and on the end of that strip, Burley Schmidts's Humble station, the first gas station in LJ. Going the other way, between Ben Franklin and Piggly Wiggly was the Style Mart, a dry goods and furniture store with those overhead pneumatic tubes that took your bill and money off to a cashier in a glass booth overlooking the whole store. The LJ library later went into that space.
Yep, sounds like much of the same kind of stuff. I spent most of my allowance on Matchbox cars. Still have them, too. I'm a packrat. I remember the Lake Drug but not the gas station or Style Mart. That sounds cool.
I don't remember the Woolworth's at all. Mom had worked as a checker at a Weingarten's in Montrose in the 30s (and Dad had worked as a sacker at Henke's in the Heights). She always preferred Weingarten's and we did most of our grocery shopping in Freeport until the Weingarten's opened in LJ. She almost never went in Henke's in Velasco.

If you shopped at the Weingartens on Plantation Drive I can't believe you don't remember Woolworth unless they opened later. They were in the corner (middle) of the L-shaped center, just down from Weingarten's. TheShadow's timeline explains why my parents called the Velasco store Henke's instead of Henke and Pillot.

I've been going through old clippings and photographs and scanning them lately. Someone needs to start a Historic Brazosport forum like this Historic Houston forum so I'll have some place to post them.
Have you seen the Lake Jackson Historical Society book (available at the Lake Jackson museum?) There are lots of historic pictures in it. If not, maybe I can scan some and post them. Hey, mods! Maybe we need a Brazosport forum.
Where is the thread with your comments on BHS?

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=6961

Regarding Henke-Pilot/Kroger, this is what I can offer.

I used to work for Kroger and one day, I went to the downtown library and dug through old newspapers to find out when Henke-Pilot became Kroger.

In 1957, Kroger bought Henke-Pilot. By 1964, the stores were called "Henke's". The logo was a bordered oval that Kroger still uses. Later that year, the Kroger logo was added to the Henke's logo and from 1964 to 1971, the ads said "Henke's-Kroger". Kroger dropped the Henke's name in 1971.

I would like to know what the store signs read. My presumption is that older stores said Henke's, while stores built during that time said Kroger. However, I was born in 1979 and my parents moved here in 1974. Anybody remember?

From a Henke's ad in 1963...

HenkesAd2-1963.jpg

Sounds like you were contemporaneous with my older brother, who graduated from Brazosport HS in 1966.

My best friend from high school lived at 201 Southern Oaks Drive, in a house that backed up to the creek. Nice area. Back then I'll bet it was REALLY country.

(snip)They were also a Schwinn bicycle dealer and that's where I got my 1977 Schwinn Suburban (still have it.) We did most of our clothes shopping at Brockmans or at Weiners. Never to Houston.

Yep, sounds like much of the same kind of stuff. I spent most of my allowance on Matchbox cars. Still have them, too. I'm a packrat. I remember the Lake Drug but not the gas station or Style Mart. That sounds cool.

If you shopped at the Weingartens on Plantation Drive I can't believe you don't remember Woolworth unless they opened later. They were in the corner (middle) of the L-shaped center, just down from Weingarten's. TheShadow's timeline explains why my parents called the Velasco store Henke's instead of Henke and Pillot.

Have you seen the Lake Jackson Historical Society book (available at the Lake Jackson museum?) There are lots of historic pictures in it. If not, maybe I can scan some and post them. Hey, mods! Maybe we need a Brazosport forum.

Southern Oaks was a jungle down where we were, at the end. There was no bridge on Willow, we had to go around and go over a one lane wooden bridge on the Old Angleton Road.

The Schwinn dealership -- was that in the big warehouse llike building where N. Parking Place dead-ends on Circle Way? That was originally (or at least earlier) a Packard dealership. They may have also carried Studebakers -- somebody did but I can't remember who. When Packards went out of production, it became an Edsel dealership and when Edsel died I think he gave up on trying to run a car dealership in LJ. There was a Nash dealership on Oyster Creek Drive about where Huisache dead-ends, later became an auto body and paint shop. They also carried Hudsons and, for the short time they were on the market, Kaisers and Fraziers. All of the other car dealerships were in Freeport and Angleton. They were both small - 2, maybe 3 cars in the showrooms at most, and no hundreds and hundreds of models sitting there to choose from.

I must have some sort of block on Woolworth's but by the time those stores went in I wasn't tagging along with my Mother on shopping trips.

No, I haven't seen the book. I was at the museum for the 60th anny reception in '03 with my Dad and looked around and I've browsed the website several times. I'll post some of what I have when I get some time to scan them and upload them. I'll start another thread since we've pretty well hi-jacked this one.

I'm a packrat, too.

EDIT: If you're talking about the Lake Jackson Chronicles, I have that. If you're talking about some sort of photo album compiled by the Society, no, I haven't seen that. Have been flipping through the Chronicles -- hadn't looked at that in some time.

Jamail's on Kirby. I believe this was Houston's early "gourmet" grocery.

jamails.jpg

Yes, a real shame it's gone. You can have CM, I'd rather have Jamail's back. The best part was the hot food deli where you could get great lunches to go. The line was always long. Then there were their prepared foods in the freezer section.

Edited by brucesw

Southern Oaks was a jungle down where we were, at the end. There was no bridge on Willow, we had to go around and go over a one lane wooden bridge on the Old Angleton Road.

The Schwinn dealership -- was that in the big warehouse llike building where N. Parking Place dead-ends on Circle Way? That was originally (or at least earlier) a Packard dealership. They may have also carried Studebakers -- somebody did but I can't remember who. When Packards went out of production, it became an Edsel dealership and when Edsel died I think he gave up on trying to run a car dealership in LJ. There was a Nash dealership on Oyster Creek Drive about where Huisache dead-ends, later became an auto body and paint shop. They also carried Hudsons and, for the short time they were on the market, Kaisers and Fraziers. All of the other car dealerships were in Freeport and Angleton. They were both small - 2, maybe 3 cars in the showrooms at most, and no hundreds and hundreds of models sitting there to choose from.

I must have some sort of block on Woolworth's but by the time those stores went in I wasn't tagging along with my Mother on shopping trips.

No, I haven't seen the book. I was at the museum for the 60th anny reception in '03 with my Dad and looked around and I've browsed the website several times. I'll post some of what I have when I get some time to scan them and upload them. I'll start another thread since we've pretty well hi-jacked this one.

I'm a packrat, too.

EDIT: If you're talking about the Lake Jackson Chronicles, I have that. If you're talking about some sort of photo album compiled by the Society, no, I haven't seen that. Have been flipping through the Chronicles -- hadn't looked at that in some time.

Yes, a real shame it's gone. You can have CM, I'd rather have Jamail's back. The best part was the hot food deli where you could get great lunches to go. The line was always long. Then there were their prepared foods in the freezer section.

I guess it's just like any shopping decision we all have to make. Do we want to pay a higher price and receive "mom & pop" personalized service? Or do we want to pay a lower price and be left to our own devices and hope that we end up buying what we really want?