Houston Methodist Diagnostic Clinical Center At 6447 South Main St.

editor

LIMITED METRO SERVICE IN TEXAS MEDICAL CENTER SUNDAY MORNING

A planned building implosion in the Texas Medical Center Sunday, June 25, will require METRO to temporarily shut down METRORail service between Dryden and Hermann Park/Rice University Stations, and detour a portion of the 8 South Main bus route.

METRO service changes will take place from approximately 6:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.

Fannin and many other streets in the TMC will be temporarily closed and pedestrian activity will be prohibited in the area.

METRO will operate dedicated �Rail Shuttle� buses between the TMC stations with stops at Fannin and Sunset, North MacGregor and Fannin and the TMC Transit Center (Bus Bay �A�). Service to and from Dryden Station will operate from the northbound platform only. Riders traveling south from Dryden Station will board the train at the northbound platform. Riders traveling north to Dryden Station will exit the train as usual.

The 8 South Main will be temporarily interrupted at the following locations:

� Main at University

� Main at Hermann/Rice University

� Main at North MacGregor

� Main at Sunset

NORTHBOUND

The 8 South Main will travel northbound via South Main, left on University, right on Greenbriar, right on Rice to Sunset where it will turn left onto South Main and continue its regular route.

SOUTHBOUND

The 8 South Main will travel via South Main, turn right on Sunset to Rice, left on Greenbriar, left on University where it will turn right onto South Main and continue its regular route.

METRO personnel will be available to provide assistance.

During the service interruption, rail service will operate on a 15-minute frequency. Normal operation should resume by 8:30 a.m.

Where is this building? I want to see this!

it's the one nestled in between methodist (smith tower, i think) and some other nondescript place on main/fannin, close to holcombe

it is pretty chipped-away-at now

Edited by sevfiv

i'm going to try and make it.

This implosion is not going to be worth ANYBODYs time to go see. Most of this Methodist Dianostic Clinic building is already destroyed and Sunday will be the finishing touches. This will be a very disappointing event if you spend your Sunday morning to go see this little bit be leveled. Don't bother...

Kevin

Yeah, everyone around was saying there would be alarms or horns first, but it just went off. Still, it was VERY cool to see! :D

I watched the Lamar Hotel come down in 1985. It was quite a sight.

That must have been something. They demolished all the buildings on that entire city block at one time. I saw a film of it once.

Subdude, it was neat seeing it come down. However, since the crowd had to be a couple of blocks away, there wasn't a totally unobstructed view to be had. I could see the top of the building, and about a third of the side facing me. Still it was an awsome sight.

So did anyone notice that the replacement facility will be 1.5 million square feet! Wow, right? No. 1 million square feet is just parking. The building will be the other 500,000.

yeah - i read that - and the patients will have smartypants cards that will apparently track their every move :D

also, the elevators and halls will be segregated between staff and patients

• 5 months later...
Are they having to tear anything down to build? I couldn't imagine there being an empty lot there unless it's parking?

Sorry, I don't frequent that area much and don't even live in Houston right now, so I couldn't see for myself until I come home next week, what up! ;)

They've already torn down the Methodist West Pavilion to make way for this project.

And yes, the TMC, Inc. is all about pragmatism.

• The title was changed to Houston Methodist Diagnostic Clinical Center At 6447 South Main St.
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone have pictures of this now demolished building?

I think I see the structure in an 1978 aerial photograph.

1978:

NnoASuH.jpeg

2002:

taZZc38.jpeg

Edit: See below, courtesy of ATH.

Here is the Houston Methodist Diagnostic Clinical Center under construction!

QYcMsLy.jpeg