The Dike

The reason I asked is because I was out on the dike a few weeks ago, and the view of Galveston's ANICO tower and city lights are pretty at night, plus there is a beach there.

To be honest I can't ever remember smelling the chemical plants out on the dike Montrose. Does anyone remember back in the 80's when there was a pretty decent hotel at the entrance of the dike?

that's what we should have, more development by a coastline that can be blown away by a hurricane or beach erosion and then we can bail them out.

That's an interesting comment ricco67, does the dike suffer from the same erosion problems as the beach in Galveston? I'm asking because it sits in the middle of Galveston Bay, and one side is protected by large granite rocks. I figured I'd ask too because well.... "they're" building on Bolivar :unsure:

The reason I asked is because I was out on the dike a few weeks ago, and the view of Galveston's ANICO tower and city lights are pretty at night, plus there is a beach there.

To be honest I can't ever remember smelling the chemical plants out on the dike Montrose. Does anyone remember back in the 80's when there was a pretty decent hotel at the entrance of the dike?

I know you've heard the term "Hell or Highwater." Well, when a Hurricane comes into town, or even a good tropical storm, that Dike goes under.

I know you've heard the term "Hell or Highwater." Well, when a Hurricane comes into town, or even a good tropical storm, that Dike goes under.

Oh, I can believe it, but what of those high rise condos in Florida on the beach? You know, the ones that the reporters always report from during a hurricane. Aren't they built to withstand hurricane force winds? It seems as though people move back in once the hurricane is over, and go on about their lives.

I agree the view at night is lovely but the 24/7 stench of rotting fish and refineries is just a bit much for me to invest $$ in a development on the dike.

B)

Honestly, I've never smelled the refineries on the dike. Though I don't believe it's not possible.

Oh, I can believe it, but what of those high rise condos in Florida on the beach? You know, the ones that the reporters always report from during a hurricane. Aren't they built to withstand hurricane force winds? It seems as though people move back in once the hurricane is over, and go on about their lives.

Honestly, I've never smelled the refineries on the dike. Though I don't believe it's not possible.

Hmmmmmmm......interesting, let's see. In my left hand I have Texas City, Tx. and in my left, Miami, Fl. where is a would be millionaire gonna want to live and pay outrageous insurance and rent for a beachview ? Hmmmmmmm. ;)

You guys think the Texas City dike area will ever see residential or commercial development? Possibly high rise condos like Endeavor in Clear Lake, or should it remain undeveloped?

If I worked on the southeast side, I'd be very willing to consider a highrise condo purchase if it were built to rigorous code and located at the very tip end of the dike. I imagine that the views from several hundred feet up would be simply amazing. Sunset over the Texas City refineries is always great...I've got some excellent photos. Then you'd be able to look down on every contour of Galveston Bay, all the ship traffic, the Bolivar Lighthouse, the Galveston skyline, and on a clear day, would be able to see all the way to the refineries in Baytown.

The downsides are 1) government land ownership, 2) sheer distance from anything, and 3) when the wind comes out of the west. But oh, what I wouldn't give for a 30th-level full-floor penthouse...

TheNiche, how do the bait shops and restaurants obtain permits to build on the dike?

Hmmmmmmm......interesting, let's see. In my left hand I have Texas City, Tx. and in my left, Miami, Fl. where is a would be millionaire gonna want to live and pay outrageous insurance and rent for a beachview ? Hmmmmmmm. ;)

No doubt, actually the same thing could be said about some of the projects in Galveston. My question was about the flooding and wind issue, and whether or not it was possible to maintain the integrity of the building.

TheNiche, how do the bait shops and restaurants obtain permits to build on the dike?

No doubt, actually the same thing could be said about some of the projects in Galveston. Question was about the flooding and wind issue, and whether or not possible it was possible to maintain the integrity of the building.

Good question. I'd suspect that they're just leasing their land from some government entity.

If you've got a good structural engineer, you can make nearly anything hurricane-proof...it's just going to take some extra money.

No doubt, actually the same thing could be said about some of the projects in Galveston. My question was about the flooding and wind issue, and whether or not it was possible to maintain the integrity of the building.

Absolutely JASON, they would have no problem making a building to withstand. I think the problem may lie underneath the building as to how solid the ground is. The Dike is manmade, and compacted very nicely, but if you focus I don't know how many tons of concrete and steel, what THAT would do to the integrity of the Dike.

Absolutely JASON, they would have no problem making a building to withstand. I think the problem may lie underneath the building as to how solid the ground is. The Dike is manmade, and compacted very nicely, but if you focus I don't know how many tons of concrete and steel, what THAT would do to the integrity of the Dike.

True, but I guess we'll never know. That would be a great view from 30 stories up though. However, if towers were to be built, I wouldn't be able to enjoy my view anymore :blush:

If pilings are driven deep enough, a condo could easily be built on the dike, just as bridges cross Galveston Bay, and a hotel is built over the Gulf. I suspect the sand accumulation behind the Dike is no more unstable than the sand behind the jetty at the east end of Galveston Island. They are building several condo towers there.

True, but I guess we'll never know. That would be a great view from 30 stories up though. However, if towers were to be built, I wouldn't be able to enjoy me view anymore :blush:

There was a project started YEARS AGO over by East Beach in Galveston that was abandoned, I want to say has since been demolished. It was a blight through the 80's. It was a project much like you are talking about, but just couldn't come to fruition because of cost overuns, and Galvestons bad economic climate back then. I believe a couple of dead bodies had been found there as well during the 80's and 90's. I forgot that they are turning that project into The Palisades Palms. Not sure when it will be done though, there is a thread on here about it.

You would think that something like the Dike that essentially changes the entire fluid dynamic of Galveston Bay would be nothing but bad for the ecology of the Galveston area.

How many years has that thing been there?

I recently read an article that stated how the dike actually raises the level of salinity in Galveston Bay. I have no idea how long its been there, though I've read that the existing "Shoal Point" sediment was used to construct the dike. Maybe it has "always" been there in some fashion...

• 2 weeks later...
I tend to agree. I do not see it happening, but you never know. That seems like a pretty exposed piece of property and getting in and out would be a pain during high season and rush hour.

not to mention that it looks pretty low. what would happen during a big storm? seems like a bad idea.

• 4 months later...
There was a project started YEARS AGO over by East Beach in Galveston that was abandoned, I want to say has since been demolished. It was a blight through the 80's. It was a project much like you are talking about, but just couldn't come to fruition because of cost overuns, and Galvestons bad economic climate back then. I believe a couple of dead bodies had been found there as well during the 80's and 90's. I forgot that they are turning that project into The Palisades Palms. Not sure when it will be done though, there is a thread on here about it.

That project was started by a promotor/huckster named J.R. McConnell. He took several Galveston lenders to the cleaners in the early 80's. He was finally arrested and jailed, were he died.....mysteriously. That unfinished development (Beach Side) was used in a movie scene shot in Galveston in the mid 80's. Some story line about an Astro's pitcher linked to murders in Galveston.....real lame now but exicting to watch back then.

Actually they are not building them any more. Bad Idea. Four hurricanes in the past 3 years have trashed some. All that needs to happen is one window break, and with hurricane force winds, the water trickles down. Developers dont care, since they cant get permits for new ones, the spot where trashed high rises exist are prime for new ones, since the zoning is in place. Currently there is one abandoned one in Palm Beach and another closed one on Singer Island. Rehab time for the singer island one- well its been two years and no potential date yet.

One of the things that happens is that the building acts like a seawall, but with a beach in front of it, the enegy of the waves goes into eroding the sand- and undermining the foundations.

Archived