My wife likes it a lot. I've never been there, but my wife has brought me a few leftovers on occasion (usually not much left over).

I think my greens are better than theirs. :D

This is it is great. But if you want the tastiest ribs in town hit Greens on Almeda. Yummy...

• 2 years later...

Been there dozens of times. The ladies serving you don't get any less surly with time, so don't cringe when they yell at you. ;)

The oxtails are fantastic if they're serving them that day. Also make sure to get their yams and cabbage if you can.

Used to be a much cooler place, but Midtown springing up around it has made it decidedly less so. The food is still good, but I hate the neighborhood now. Not surprised they're thinking of selling the land; they could build some more WONDERFUL condos there! :eyeroll:

Been there dozens of times. The ladies serving you don't get any less surly with time, so don't cringe when they yell at you. ;)

The oxtails are fantastic if they're serving them that day. Also make sure to get their yams and cabbage if you can.

Used to be a much cooler place, but Midtown springing up around it has made it decidedly less so. The food is still good, but I hate the neighborhood now. Not surprised they're thinking of selling the land; they could build some more WONDERFUL condos there! :eyeroll:

no offense, but just because it was significantly poorer and undoubtedly less popular does not mean it was cooler. i enjoy your blog (although i dont get to read it much anymore), but your condescending attitude towards practically all things new or popular has almost become cliche at this point. i mean i get where you're coming from for the most part, it just seems to be an overriding theme in a lot of your posts... or maybe those posts just stick out more to me, who knows.

/derailment

if you go, make sure you get there when the food is coming out fresh... getting there late after all is left are scraps and the pieces that have been sitting in the trays for hours is disappointing.

The ladies serving you don't get any less surly with time, so don't cringe when they yell at you. ;)

They don't yell at me. Yesterday, the ladies seemed rather apathetic towards customers instead of surly. One of the guys working there was in a happy mood though.

I'm going to be in Houston over July 4th weekend. I could use some good ole stick-to-your-ribs soul food.

I've heard good things about this place. Anyone eaten there. How was it? I'm dying to try it.

I also heard they moved from their current location. Seems like I read a newish review of them in HoustonPress.com

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2008/...t_soul_food.php

I've been a couple of times to the old location and having grown up on soul food can attest that theirs is good, but not the best I've ever experienced.

This is a great place to eat. One of my highschool friends family owns the restaurant. It is really good they catered her sweet 16 birthday party. The oxtails were awsome!!!

Another place I found that has good oxtails is Hungry Farmer on Airline. They serve them only on Saturdays. Hmm, I may head up that way tomorrow.