http://www.geocities.com/dprk02/day1.htm

Check out the different pictures of architecture and descript stories of a dude that visited Pyongyang by train for a 7-day trip. This might give some people an understanding as to what everyday life is like there. One thing that threw me off was the picture of their incomplete 105-story hotel...a hotel whose construction first started in 1987, and still hasn't been opened yet. In fact, here's a snipet...

The first thing we saw of Pyongyang was the 105-storey Ryugyong hotel. Construction had started in 1987 but when money ran out in 1991 the project was abandoned. To this day it is unfinished and stands derelict!

South Korea had built a 102-storey hotel in Singapore and NK one-upmanship dictated they must built one as well, but of course even bigger and higher! Now it's just a window-less shell with a very small, dilapidated and rusty construction crane right at the top. The structure is grey, waterstained and unlit.

NK has no tourism to speak of and how they thought they'd be able to fill such a place is a mystery. It's a behemoth that you see whereever you are in Pyongyang and to me it embodies the folly of this regime and its complete disregard of the people's needs over prestige objects that serve no purpose but self-aggrandisement.

ryugyong.jpg

I had to look closely a second time to see that the background is all people, as well as the dancers on the field.

arirang3.jpg

arirang4.jpg

arirang2.jpg

They mention in on Day 2 that they are considering using the North Koreans that make these mass ceremonies to be a part of the Oening Ceremonies for the 2008 Olympics.

Archived